12" Clone Wars Obi-Wan in CLONE ARMOR!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briningin' the LOVE.

AWESOME!!!!!!

:chew

2175_press05-001.jpg

ANH Leia came out as good as her Prototype paint apps, Bespin Luke came out better than his Prototype paint apps, ANH Ben came out as good as his Prototype paint apps, and Sidious and Palpatine came out very nice as well.

I thought Leia was a lot better than her prototype. I looked at those shots for months, hoping she didn't turn out like that. I was so horrified by that prototype that the second one crap pic came in from Hong Kong, I cancelled her. Which was a mistake. She looks so much better than the prototype suggested.

Is there really anyone in here who is still naive to the possibilities that a prototype may not reflect what the production figure will look like? Anyone who thinks the excitement in here is ignorant hasn't been paying much attention. I know damn well there's a chance it won't turn out identical to these pictures, but I also know those chances get slimmer with every new figure that ships. And I'm obviously not the only one.

The likelihood of an unchanged figure has done nothing but get higher and higher.

I am going to have to agree, and this comparison shot illustrates the point very clearly. ( i also think this old proto is a better likeness than this clone armor one)

Its great to be excited about a new type of figure, but all these people making 'victory claims' over competition and 'ownage of haters' need to understand one figure doesnt make or break a line. Could be a sign of things to come, yes, but this has not even come out yet.

By the looks of this thread, I thought it was the second coming. This is a great looking prototype, but its not Jesus in 1/6 format. If you put it too high on a pedestal, you will end up disappointing yourself.
Bah, it's a sweet looking figure, of my favorite version of my favorite character, the finished paint can look like butt, and I'd still love it, that's what repaints are for. I don't think they'd change the head between now and release. Might loose some detail, but not enough to matter to me.
Armor FTW, I'm happy, and that's all that matters to me, This figure answers this question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vf9vUAVQeI
roxbury.gif

By the looks of this thread, I thought it was the second coming. This is a great looking prototype, but its not Jesus in 1/6 format. If you put it too high on a pedestal, you will end up disappointing yourself.

I think people are more excited about the actual armor. I know I am. It opens the door very wide.

This TF has been pretty much SSC's second coming. :D

But yes, none of these products are out yet and won't be till the end of this year. So here's to hoping they don't lose much in quality. But show me a prototype that doesn't look better than the production. Sure they're out there, but most of the time the prototype is miles ahead. Paintjob wise atleast.

A lot of us are excited for a pretty good reason.

I am going to have to agree, and this comparison shot illustrates the point very clearly. ( i also think this old proto is a better likeness than this clone armor one)

Its great to be excited about a new type of figure, but all these people making 'victory claims' over competition and 'ownage of haters' need to understand one figure doesnt make or break a line. Could be a sign of things to come, yes, but this has not even come out yet.

But the thing to consider here is that SSC is getting better at matching their prototypes a bit better. Hell, even most of the Medi and HT figures that people indicate "ownage" and it's superiority are prototypes themselves. You get the figure in hand and it's obviously different than the shots we saw months earlier. So it's not only a Sideshow thing. Anyway, things are getting better...

But with Sideshow improving it's facilities and getting a bit of help from HT, I have a feeling you will see improvement on the paint apps as well. And really, at least for me, paint can be fixed.

The thing that excites me is that the sculpt is so good and that the armor does not look like crap on the body. That is the best thing ever, and gives us all something to look forward to with armored figs.

I think the best thing is he won't cost me a thing but shipping if I decide to use my points!!! :chew:chew

You wouldn't want him to have a wearable helmet, since it would likely have to be out of scale with future clone warriors to fit over the head. It might be nice to have it just to hold, but I think we can do without it.

IT would be a separate head... I mean if Indy needs 2 heads to wear a hat, Obi'd need to heads to pull off the helmet, especially with that mullet :lol

What-what?!? :horror

Crap, I just sacrificed my entire family in honor of this figure, damn... better get some cleaning products :monkey2

But the thing to consider here is that SSC is getting better at matching their prototypes a bit better. Hell, even most of the Medi and HT figures that people indicate "ownage" and it's superiority are prototypes themselves. You get the figure in hand and it's obviously different than the shots we saw months earlier. So it's not only a Sideshow thing. Anyway, things are getting better...

But with Sideshow improving it's facilities and getting a bit of help from HT, I have a feeling you will see improvement on the paint apps as well. And really, at least for me, paint can be fixed.

The thing that excites me is that the sculpt is so good and that the armor does not look like crap on the body. That is the best thing ever, and gives us all something to look forward to with armored figs.

Medicom's Production runs have always been pretty accurate to the prototype.This new SS figure does look great,I would even go as far as to say that the armour looks better than Medicoms,but it is a prototype.The only figure that SS has came out with that matched there prototype was
ANH Obi-Wan.and after seeing more pics of the Palpatine sculpt,I was not that empressed with it anymore.So if they can just come real close to matching the prototype,then...this will be a bad ass figure.

Medicom does a great job of matching the proto, at least in fabrics and materials. The paint loses a lot, but what company doesnt? HT, SSC, Medi.. they all suffer from Production paint devolvement. :lol

But I love em all, my shelf is equal opportunity. :D

One thing it could be (not 100%) is that it seems like Medicom first shows off their figures when they are closer to being released. I think Sideshow tries to give us a lot of heads up... but the downside is that we are shown a prototype way before anyone knows what the production challenges are going to be.

But I have a very strong sense that Sideshow is going to be very careful and methodical about this figure and what the final product will look like.

Medicom is a LOUSY judge of the topic of Proto-to-Prouction as far as paint apps.

Medicom has the most basic paint apps of the 3 big 1/6 figure makers and there is little room for variance and error.

For example, Jango Fett, slap pure black on the hair, paint some Hasbro-esqu eyes and fill in a few scars with dark paint and done. There are not highlights to the hair, which SSC and Hot Toys would both do, look at HT Jack Sparrow, the skin is flat and one-colored and the application of eyebrows looks like a laser cut design and not a natural element.

I like Medicom and own some of their figures, but I think of the big crew, they have the most lackluster portraits between off sculpts and simplistic paint apps. Up until about a year ago, I felt the same about HT, but they've stepped up their game and now SSC and HT apply more lifelike paint apps to their figures, but being more complex like that opens up room for variation.

Like I said, over the last half dozen releases, SSC has shown strong growth in turning out well painted figures and at times even surpasses the proto paint apps, so I'm not concerned. Do I expect 100% what we see in the proto photos, not at all, but I do comfortably expect an impressive paint job that will probably have a strong buzz when it ships.

Medicom is a LOUSY judge of the topic of Proto-to-Prouction as far as paint apps.

Medicom has the most basic paint apps of the 3 big 1/6 figure makers and there is little room for variance and error.

For example, Jango Fett, slap pure black on the hair, paint some Hasbro-esqu eyes and fill in a few scars with dark paint and done. There are not highlights to the hair, which SSC and Hot Toys would both do, look at HT Jack Sparrow, the skin is flat and one-colored and the application of eyebrows looks like a laser cut design and not a natural element.

I like Medicom and own some of their figures, but I think of the big crew, they have the most lackluster portraits between off sculpts and simplistic paint apps. Up until about a year ago, I felt the same about HT, but they've stepped up their game and now SSC and HT apply more lifelike paint apps to their figures, but being more complex like that opens up room for variation.

Like I said, over the last half dozen releases, SSC has shown strong growth in turning out well painted figures and at times even surpasses the proto paint apps, so I'm not concerned. Do I expect 100% what we see in the proto photos, not at all, but I do comfortably expect an impressive paint job that will probably have a strong buzz when it ships.

To each his own.

Back