12" Clone Wars Obi-Wan in CLONE ARMOR!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the surface,this is such a departure from what SS has been releasing.In a good way ofcourse.That is if this figure turns out to look the same as the proto.This is gonna look so much better in the sense that putting next to the old SS figure's is gonna look really off.Kinda like two complete era's in figure making.

The new armour looks really good BTW with the harder ABS plastic.In such away that it has sharper defined edges to it.Looks more realistic!

I'm also wondering why hard plastic wasn't used by Medicom.I hope the new armour works out for SS.

I suspect that the reason why Medicom did not choose hard plastic, is the same reason why SS chose to make a new body type.

The softer plastic that Medicom uses can be molded thinner, withoiut having to worry much about breakage. This allows them to use the same bodies as all their figures without making them look bulky.

Sideshow wanted hard plastic, likely both for the feel in hand, as well as the sharpness of detail. The downside is that it has to have thickness to it, or it will be too brittle. Thus why Sideshow came out with the much more slender body. You can add the armor to a figure, and it will then look normal, rather than.. well, 'large' if they were using the Prometheus, or the Buck.

It will be interesting to see which body Sideshow uses for Vader. I would suspect the Prometheus, but we'll see.

It will be interesting to see which body Sideshow uses for Vader. I would suspect the Prometheus, but we'll see.

I would think Prometheus as well. Besides the shoulder pads and codpiece, there's not much armor going on. If they used the armor body, you'd end up with a skinny guy in a leather jumpsuit.

I would think Prometheus as well. Besides the shoulder pads and codpiece, there's not much armor going on. If they used the armor body, you'd end up with a skinny guy in a leather jumpsuit.

Vader is also supposed to be a really big guy, so that would work well.

I think considering that SSC is going for a realistic look that in reality the broaches that hold the cloak would be a bit more detailed and not just smooth flat plates.

I think they'd have a target-like pattern or something on them. Maybe even something Romanesque like a small spike or other shape reliefed in them.

I think considering that SSC is going for a realistic look that in reality the broaches that hold the cloak would be a bit more detailed and not just smooth flat plates.

I think they'd have a target-like pattern or something on them. Maybe even something Romanesque like a small spike or other shape reliefed in them.

An interesting idea, but there's no telling what sort of input LFL gave on the design. For 2 small broaches, I don't think it's worth dealing with LFL to be creative and come up with some arbitrary design and go back and forth with LFL for approval. Keeping the simple look of the cartoon is a sure fire way to just get a quick thumbs up and move on, they're not important enough to go to bat with those guys for an approval.

As for the Vader body disucssion, here's my take. I can see ANH Vader going on the armor body as Prowse didn't look as physically imposing in that film as Empire and Jedi, and then an Empire/Jedi Vader being on Prometheus. Ther chest plate armor is different for ANH Vader anyway, especially to have his inner tunic running over the shoulders, so it'll take 2 different molds likely anyway for ANH and the other films, so there's no loss to make a mold for his chest armor around the thinner armor body.

As for the Vader body disucssion, here's my take. I can see ANH Vader going on the armor body as Prowse didn't look as physically imposing in that film as Empire and Jedi,

Hmmm I thought he always looked huge, looking down at Leia and choking that dude out in the beginning? Also, Prowse was always large so I think the same body would be used each time.

He may have been the same size, and maybe it's just film tricks, but I've always perceived ANH Vader as being somewhate slender compared to ESB and ROTJ, particularly Jedi, like when he's first walking through the landing bay on the Death Star, his chest seems much fuller than it did in ANH.

I do think that might have been somewhat intentional... the idea that Vader is on the way out, loosing power and influence. Then in ESB and ROTJ he's firing on all cylinders again.

But I still think he'd remain on the same body, but with the appropriate sculpt tweeks. However I will say this now, I will only buy (1) Vader... as much as I love him, and there are costume differences, I can't justify in my mind buying 4 armored versions.

So here's to hoping (whichever one they make first) is super badass.

An interesting idea, but there's no telling what sort of input LFL gave on the design. For 2 small broaches, I don't think it's worth dealing with LFL to be creative and come up with some arbitrary design and go back and forth with LFL for approval. Keeping the simple look of the cartoon is a sure fire way to just get a quick thumbs up and move on, they're not important enough to go to bat with those guys for an approval.

Not trying to make a negative comment about SSC, mind you. Just trying to discuss the overall design of the costume. I think had it been a live action film the clasps wouldn't be so plain.

I may end up making my own with a little bit of detail in them.

I can see that, but the clones just weren't ornate... having a detail on them would look a bit out of place to me. I've actually never even gave them a second thought until it was mentioned here. They just always kind of blended in to me.

I assume as well that all Vader's will go on Prometheus sipmly because he doesn't really sport a ton of armor (like a trooper or clone) and so whether he was skinnier in ANH (he most certainly was smaller in ROTS) I believe a Prometheus will be used.

Damn it. It is Thursday today. I don't know why but this whole week I've been off. Last Night I was wondering why the Newsletter didn't go up. :google:lol

I can see that, but the clones just weren't ornate... having a detail on them would look a bit out of place to me. I've actually never even gave them a second thought until it was mentioned here. They just always kind of blended in to me.

The clones are not ornate, but I see being a General, especially in the sci-fi neoclassical design that much of the "Clone Wars" fed off of, I can see Obi-Wan's costume taking on an almost "Maximus" like ornateness.

Damn it. It is Thursday today. I don't know why but this whole week I've been off. Last Night I was wondering why the Newsletter didn't go up. :google:lol

:lol:lol:rotfl Well, at least you can be saved a bit of waiting time today.

And Prog I can see that being a direction to take with the outfit, but if that were the case you'd almost expect his whole outfit to be decorated more. For me I'm good with the simple on this one.

But I could see making some sort of disc design being pretty easy... like maybe putting the imperial symbol on them. That'd be an interesting contrast, seeing the future symbol of the empire on General Kenobi.

I assume as well that all Vader's will go on Prometheus sipmly because he doesn't really sport a ton of armor (like a trooper or clone) and so whether he was skinnier in ANH (he most certainly was smaller in ROTS) I believe a Prometheus will be used.

Well since I've already made an ass of myself might as well get into a conversation here. I have a feeling that all Vaders will be put on the Armored body. Even though essentially the ANH Vader could in theory use Prometheus. Even though there are slight changes from film to film I think SSC will try to keep them as uniform as possible.

Not trying to make a negative comment about SSC, mind you. Just trying to discuss the overall design of the costume. I think had it been a live action film the clasps wouldn't be so plain.

I may end up making my own with a little bit of detail in them.

Oh I didn't think you were being negative on SSC at all, I just saw an chance to express frustration with LFL again :) I love the company and all, but some of their input on products is quite frustrating, at least when you know about it. Makes you wonder how many other SW products have ever turned out crappy not because of who made them but what LFL told the maker to do.:rolleyes:

Back