Alien: Isolation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you definitely don't get used to the Xeno's patterns for a good while the first time you play it. I'll probably complete it this week.

i never tried hard or higher difficulties so i don't know if the Alien will react differently when you are hiding under a table or inside a locker, i find there's too many lockers and only few moments where you actually need 1. in some similar games higher difficulties means there's a chance the stalker will find you and you need to run away from it should it do, but i guess in alien once it finds you your are done for, unless you have a flame thrower, not sure if cocktail works or not.

my copy will be delivered today. Now do I start this, or continue my games in Far Cry 4 or Shadows of Mordor first....

it's a long and slow paced game, make sure you set enough time & mood for it. it's around 20 hours long.

I think the alien reacts well in some situations and stupid in others and that's not me saying the AI is bad, far from it actually

I know you probably can't make it too difficult, but i don't understand how he can sniff you out when you're hiding in lockers - even when you hold back and your breath, but can't smell you when your on the other side of box or something like 1 ft away from him

Not so sure he's smelling... maybe he's listening? We still have no idea how they hunt, either by sound or pheromones.

I think the alien reacts well in some situations and stupid in others and that's not me saying the AI is bad, far from it actually

I know you probably can't make it too difficult, but i don't understand how he can sniff you out when you're hiding in lockers - even when you hold back and your breath, but can't smell you when your on the other side of box or something like 1 ft away from him

you know you can't hide from the Alien no matter what you do right? it's only when he's in good mood he pretends he didn't know you are there and walks off. The movie Ripley was one of the lucky ones where Mr.Alien was in a good mood.

does he actually sniff you out in the game? maybe it's one of those random chances on higher difficulty to make it more suspense. but the fact that you can't just open the locker door & slam the alien like in MGS & run away makes it pointless.

Very true, i suppose i thought it was sniffing you out due to the way it acts when it's searching the locker, but it could be listening

If you make the slightest movement on the analog stick it rags the door off so it might very well be hearing as apposed to smelling

Not so sure he's smelling... maybe he's listening? We still have no idea how they hunt, either by sound or pheromones.

if you're talking about the game, sound & feel of air (he knows you are infront of him if you are in open space but not if you are behind) & tail. but for some reason he can't hear sound of a banging locker door.

Is that an actual fact?

That it always knows you're there i mean

you know you can't hide from the Alien no matter what you do right? it's only when he's in good mood he pretends he didn't know you are there and walks off. The movie Ripley was one of the lucky ones where Mr.Alien was in a good mood.

does he actually sniff you out in the game? maybe it's one of those random chances on higher difficulty to make it more suspense. but the fact that you can't just open the locker door & slam the alien like in MGS & run away makes it pointless.

Good to know. How is this compared to the first Dead Space?

Apples & Bananas, both are fruits and both are good for health.

Dead Space has no stealth in it, it's just a run & gun with lots of jump scare moments.

Alien is a stealth oriented, the Alien constantly stalks you and you're pretty dead when he finds you until mid part where you get flamethrower.
It's manual savepoint (realtime) and takes few seconds to save so you are still dead if you have the alien chasing you. There are few parts where checkpoints are far away which adds some tension, if not you'll just be running around experimenting and takes away the silence & suspense. i suggest play it the right way which is the take every single step carefully way.

so far at least for me the alien works like it has actual view angles like MGS AI, i'm not sure about the range, but i know there's the angle that he can "see" you, if you are in the open (even if you are next to a box) nearby he will find you if you are infront of him, if he is behind he won't notice unless you moved, how sensitive is his hearing might have something to do with difficulty setting, also if his tail touches you he will find you, but since the alien keeps turning around, chances are he will find you even if you are behind him coz you can't move when he's nearby he can hear you. i play on keyboard so i can't really make Ripley move as slow as you can with an analog stick so i don't know how sensitive his hearing is.

i don't know how the alien found you in the locker, but when he does find you he tries to act like he's sniffing before he opens the locker and drags you out. maybe you were in his "view range" when you hide, maybe he heard your footsteps, maybe you didn't hold the breath fast enough, maybe you accidentally pressed the motion tracker. or maybe it's just some random chance on higher difficulties.

Is that an actual fact?

That it always knows you're there i mean

Very true, i suppose i thought it was sniffing you out due to the way it acts when it's searching the locker, but it could be listening

If you make the slightest movement on the analog stick it rags the door off so it might very well be hearing as apposed to smelling

It does look like sniffing. I wish we had some answers on how they hell they sense anything. There's no eyes, nor nostrils of any kind.

I'd say it's far superior. But that's my opinion. Dead Space is creepy, but you never felt terror like you do in this when you're trying to hide.

The first half of the game you very much feel vulnerable, which few other games do as well as this

Definitely. You feel so exposed and defenseless, even from human characters. The first time you're alone with the Alien in that giant two floored hall, I ******** myself for 20 minutes in each spot I moved to trying to get out :lol

For the hellva it, I tried the shotgun on the Xeno instead of the flamethrower... it didn't work. The only thing to scare it off is pipebombs and the flamethrower from my experience. Didn't try molotovs yet though.

Every time i heard it in the vents above me I'd run and hide in a locker. I wasted so much time just hiding in a locker for no reason whatsoever :lol

This is at the beginning when it hadn't actually revealed itself properly to the point where it would come to get you

Also when you first get to the tram center i was just sprinting from one end to the other and it was just there when i turned the corner, **** a brick

It get's billy big bawls with the flamer too, i have to do it 3 times before it scurries back from whence it came

Every time i heard it in the vents above me I'd run and hide in a locker. I wasted so much time just hiding in a locker for no reason whatsoever :lol

This is at the beginning when it hadn't actually revealed itself properly to the point where it would come to get you

Also when you first get to the tram center i was just sprinting from one end to the other and it was just there when i turned the corner, **** a brick

Hahahahaha I did the same **** :rotfl

Once you get used to the vent noises and get a fix on his position, you don't even need the tracker anymore. For the second half of the game, I honestly stopped using it. Plus, it gives your position away if he's close.

Nothing is more rewarding, then luring it out to kill Humans in your way. :lol

For the hellva it, I tried the shotgun on the Xeno instead of the flamethrower... it didn't work. The only thing to scare it off is pipebombs and the flamethrower from my experience. Didn't try molotovs yet though.

I used the shotgun on him a few times when farming my 100 deaths for the platinum. Didn’t scare him off but it was quite funny to watch him pause then get all angry :lol

I really enjoyed the Dead Space games and I loved Alien: Isolation. The others are right, Dead Space has a lot more shooting, A:I more stealth and hiding. Easily the best Alien game thus far IMO and I love the environment attention to detail in how it connects with the Nostromo aesthetic.

Back