All Things HELLBOY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware my claw, for I've come to inflict justice!!!!

You forgot the "k" Jen :monkey2

Fixed it - sorry Mack. :monkey2

Jen, that paint up looks amazing! Did you strip the blue paint first or paint over it?

I might have to send you mine to do the same.... ;)

Didn't strip it - just painted over it. Figured if I really screwed up and didn't like it, I could get a damp cloth and gently scrub the paint off and have it be shiny blue again. :lol

Can you give a breakdown of all the repaint and touch ups you've done to the statue? I actually don't specifically know what the actual colors look like.

Well it was that super shiny midnight bronze color so I repainted the whole thing.

I used acrylics - because they are easy to use and I can wash it away if I messed up.

I painted the skulls first a fawn color all over - then using a dry brush I lightly brushed shades of burnt umber, burnt umber + black, burnt umber + white to the skulls to give it a more aged look and have them all look a little different. When I say lightly brushed it was more like getting just a slight dab of paint on the brush - brush it on paper so there is only a slight trace left on the brush and then lightly going over the skulls - so you are not really adding a lot of color but some definition. I know there is correct lingo for this but I have no idea what it is. :lol

Hellboy I first painted all black (making sure to get in all the cracks) and then brushed a burgandy over it (and only lightly hitting the areas where I wanted some black to show (cracks/crevices/muscle definition).

His jacket was a layering (again using the dry brush technique) of mostly golden brown and golden brown + burnt umber. I used Burnt umber for his collar, belt and holster. Fawn + burnt umber for the other pouches on his belt.

The gun handle was burnt umber - and the gun was a layering of black, ash and a little bit of pure silver.

The tentacles were leaf green and the underside and round nodules were leaf green + blue midnight. I then added gloss to the underside and nodules.

The mermaid was blue midnight, with her bottom half, fins being burnt midnight + leaf green + white. I then added an iridescent clear coat to her bottom half to give it a pearly sheen. Her hair was blue midnight + snow and then a gloss over it.

The rock was black and burnt umber + black layered.

The angel statue was ash + black, and then ash and ash + white layered and dry brushed for an aged look. After it would dry I would see areas where I either wanted to add a darker or lighter gray and then would just lightly dab it with a dry brush.

The big cross was black and then layered with pure sliver and then washed with black.

The Hellboy lettering and red on his patch on his jacket is holly berry.

The eyes were sunlight + a dab of holly berry.

This really was a HUGE experiment for me - like I said, I have never done anything like this before and it was trial and error. If something didn't look right, I would just keep painting over it until it turned out the way I wanted it to. A lot of it was layering...letting a coat dry and then doing the dry brush thing to add depth or an aged look.

Hope that answered your question. :)

DSC_0651.jpg

Just got Lobster Johnson in. :D Thanks again Mack for the heads up. :rock

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2750.jpg

Kinda crappy pics - didn't have a lot of lighting in the room and had to adjust it.

Where did you get those cases? Actually been looking for something like that.

Back