ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the MP Sideswipe :dunno

I Never said he wasn't?

I think that's just a CG render at this point, no? BTW, my iGear Thundercracker is mostly plastic molded in a given color, not painted.

No, there is an unpainted prototype image circulating around TFW. let me go find it .

I THINK this is it.

reduced-galery_image_4476_7895.jpg

^^^^^ 10 times better than Iron Hide :)

Lamborgini runs right over that mini-bore-van

So you just don't like his alt mode vehicle? :lol

The cartoon is the basis for most of my interest in TFs, and from that angle, the vans just matter more. Having said that, Red Alert was one of the few TFs I had from the original line as a kid. So, I'll always have a soft spot for him.

So you just don't like his alt mode vehicle? :lol

The cartoon is the basis for most of my interest in TFs, and from that angle, the vans just matter more. Having said that, Red Alert was one of the few TFs I had from the original line as a kid. So, I'll always have a soft spot for him.

as a kid,I was never interested in the cartoon's storyline of characters.I was interested in what looked cooler in terms of toy and the type of car a character was,then bot mode came next.Which in my opinion was the whole appeal of these characters than actual character story...it was all about the toy

IH/ratchet were absolutely pathetic toys back then which is why I never bothered with them and they sat on the shelf,which I remember quite vividly how these were always easy to find in the store,while the other cars were harder to find.If the cartoon storyline for IH/ratchet was the reason to buy,it certainly did not work,because these were shelf warmers and still are as re-issues

The best bot cars to me were always Sideswipe,Sunstreaker,Jazz,Tracks,Mirage,and prowl...(the hot rods)

as a kid,I was never interested in the cartoon's storyline of characters.I was interested in what looked cooler in terms of toy and the type of car a character was,then bot mode came next.Which in my opinion was the whole appeal of these characters than actual character story...it was all about the toy

IH/ratchet were absolutely pathetic toys back then which is why I never bothered with them and they sat on the shelf,which I remember quite vividly how these were always easy to find in the store,while the other cars were harder to find.If the cartoon storyline for IH/ratchet was the reason to buy,it certainly did not work,because these were shelf warmers and still are as re-issues

The best bot cars to me were always Sideswipe,Sunstreaker,Jazz,Tracks,Mirage,and prowl...(the hot rods)
The toons are what interested me primarily in both Transformers and GI Joe. But some of the figures were also important. Like you say, the IH/Ratchet figures sucked horribly. Prime, Soundwave, Prowl, Hound, Sideswipe, Grimlock, and a few others were pretty excellent. Most fell in-between somewhere.

So you are saying this prototype of Sideswipe Isn't Real?? come on!

I can't tell if that's a prototype or a CGI render, to be quite honest. That's all I'm saying

I think that's just a CG render at this point, no? BTW, my iGear Thundercracker is mostly plastic molded in a given color, not painted.

Yeah, what he said. :)

My point is that there's NO WAY you can tell that's gonna be better than iGear's Vanbots at this point.

Sure,some of the 3rd party stuff isn't bad...The Recent TFC Hercules is a prime example of awesome and I am looking forward to their next G1 combiner Uranus/Superion/Arialbots

The Igear stuff Isn't bad either,but its a matter of opinion of what characters are better..

As far as bot choice and Car- Every person I knew,wanted Sideswipe over Ratchet/Iron Hide

Sleeker Cars are more eye candy and always will be ;)

Well, no doubt Lamborghinis are cooler.

But as a G1 fan, wouldn't you want Sideswipe AND Ironhide and Ratchet? They're all kind of essential.

Ironhide and Ratchet are definitely more essential than Red Alert, who was a relatively minor Season 2 guy. And really, a friggin' Countach Fire Chief car? I didn't know Fire Chiefs were multi-millionaires...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll still get one. I mean, he's a G1 Autobot from the cartoon, so... he gets a pass even though he's got a weird alt mode.

I can't tell if that's a prototype or a CGI render, to be quite honest. That's all I'm saying

Yeah, what he said. :)

My point is that there's NO WAY you can tell that's gonna be better than iGear's Vanbots at this point.

Well, no doubt Lamborghinis are cooler.

But as a G1 fan, wouldn't you want Sideswipe AND Ironhide and Ratchet? They're all kind of essential.

Ironhide and Ratchet are definitely more essential than Red Alert, who was a relatively minor Season 2 guy. And really, a friggin' Countach Fire Chief car? I didn't know Fire Chiefs were multi-millionaires...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll still get one. I mean, he's a G1 Autobot from the cartoon, so... he gets a pass even though he's got a weird alt mode.

Considering the price for these and as time goes by, they will be higher priced.I would probably not buy Ratchet,but maybe would buy Iron Hide in Masterpiece form.I didn't have those two in the 80's and have no attachment to those characters.I did not order Red Alert because I am not a fan of repainted/re-used part characters that are too alike and thats how I felt then as a kid when I was in hardcore in 84-85

Sideswipe is the definitive mold as is Prowl would be when they get to him,Bluestreak,and Smokescreen.

Sunstreaker,Tracks and Mirage deserve their own unique molds and I would buy them in an instant...

I would also possibly buy Trailbreaker (Hoist would be a pass) and maybe Wheeljack and Hound...

Considering the price for these and as time goes by, they will be higher priced.I would probably not buy Ratchet,but maybe would buy Iron Hide in Masterpiece form.I didn't have those two in the 80's and have no attachment to those characters.I did not order Red Alert because I am not a fan of repainted/re-used part characters that are too alike and thats how I felt then as a kid when I was in hardcore in 84-85

Sideswipe is the definitive mold as is Prowl would be when they get to him,Bluestreak,and Smokescreen.

Sunstreaker,Tracks and Mirage deserve their own unique molds and I would buy them in an instant...

I would also possibly buy Trailbreaker (Hoist would be a pass) and maybe Wheeljack and Hound...

Yeah, Season 1 - as far as characters go, anyway - was the bomb.

If you end up getting all these, but not Ratchet, it would be a shame. That's almost the entire cast!

No love for Bumblebee and Cliffjumper at least?

Yeah, Season 1 - as far as characters go, anyway - was the bomb.

If you end up getting all these, but not Ratchet, it would be a shame. That's almost the entire cast!

No love for Bumblebee and Cliffjumper at least?

Sure,but my memories of those were these tiny,out of scale figures.I also thought the minibots got the shaft when it came to figures.

I would definitely get a MP Classic Volkswagon Bumblebee if it was made in proper scale if that were even possible considering VW hates war

Another knock on iGear and other 3rd parties I find laughable is that their stuff looks "cheap" as it's not like Hasbro's is significantly better eg,

Bayformers = 95% of them look terrible without major customisation. The so called "realistic" color schemes that look great as CGI models in a live action setting look bland and boring in toy form due to having very little paint apps to bring out the sculpted detail....there's a lot of unpainted grey plastic parts that should be silver or gunmetal and that makes them look a lot worse than most 3rd party releases.

Animated & Prime = Most of the designs look like they were created by a 5 year old with no hands and combined with the usual minimalist paint apps they look more like the lesser quality KO's than official product.

Takara have a slightly better track record with many of the Henkei, United toys and also the Alternity line having excellent paint apps, but they have to do that as the Japanese market is more atuned to paying higher prices for collector quality products.

America by comparison will buy any old crap as long as it's "Wal-Mart cheap".

Another knock on iGear and other 3rd parties I find laughable is that their stuff looks "cheap" as it's not like Hasbro's is significantly better eg,

Yeah, which I disagree with as well.

I have iGear's Faith Leader, all three Coneheads, the Kup upgrade head set and the two first Minibots.

NONE of these look "cheap". I can see the argument for Faith Leader, because he was based on MP-01, which had a lot of die cast and considerable heft, whereas Faith Leader is mostly plastic. I'll admit he doesn't have that nice, old school die-cast feel to him - but I could say the same thing about MP-11. Just because it's light doesn't mean it's not a high quality figure.

I am almost certain that I will pick up the Hasbro version of MP-10 when he comes out, but I think Faith Leader will continue to be my main Prime on display. I just like the MP-01 design better, and I prefer having him be a bit shorter than Grimlock.

Bayformers = 95% of them look terrible without major customisation. The so called "realistic" color schemes that look great as CGI models in a live action setting look bland and boring in toy form due to having very little paint apps to bring out the sculpted detail....there's a lot of unpainted grey plastic parts that should be silver or gunmetal and that makes them look a lot worse than most 3rd party releases.

I totally agree with this. Well, except that they look great as CGI models.

Personally I think the designs of the movie Transformers are just plain ugly for the most part. I've kind of warmed to Optimus (except the flames, that's so white trash), Bumblebee and Ironhide. Starscream is still hideous, as are most others, and not in a "cool" way.

Animated & Prime = Most of the designs look like they were created by a 5 year old with no hands and combined with the usual minimalist paint apps they look more like the lesser quality KO's than official product.

Now we got a problem buddy. ;)

I love both these shows. I admit, Animated's first impression on me was that it looked childish and stupid. I FINALLY gave it a real chance only a couple months ago on Youtube. It took a few episodes to get into it, but once you do, you're hooked. The character development is quite possibly the best we've seen in any TF series, even Beast Wars.

And if you like the show, the toy line is just tops.

The Prime line has its hits and misses. All the FE stuff was great, but I admit that some of the RiD figures look a bit... KOish. The real shame is that Takara, which can usually be relied upon for better paint, accuracy and shinier plastic has gotten super-cheap, including sticker sheets instead of extra paint apps, as well as having inexplicably and unnecessarily added that stupid Arms Micron gimmick.

Takara have a slightly better track record with many of the Henkei, United toys and also the Alternity line having excellent paint apps, but they have to do that as the Japanese market is more atuned to paying higher prices for collector quality products.

America by comparison will buy any old crap as long as it's "Wal-Mart cheap".

Yup.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Takara has any upcoming plans for the Encore line? I need the Dinobots, Shockwave, and Soundwave. Thanks.

Does anyone know if Takara has any upcoming plans for the Encore line? I need the Dinobots, Shockwave, and Soundwave. Thanks.

Dinobots = According to Takara the molds are damaged or lost ( can't remember which ). So it depends if they want to pay for new molds using reverse engineered toys.

Shockwave = Very unlikely due to legal issues over who owns the molds....the original toy was one of several that Takara bought from other companies.

Soundwave = Already released a few years ago as Encore 03.

Been on a bit of a Shapeways kick lately eh Nick? :)

Dont know if ur into KO's but there is a very decent KO Shockwave out there.

Dinobots too.

A friend of mine bought a bunch of those "high quality KOs" for his kid. Loves 'em.

I would love to get the Dinobots, Mirage, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker - originals preferably, but I'm such a mint nazi that I'd be afraid I'd be getting the knock-offs anyway. I might just pick up the KOs so I KNOW they're KOs, then track down originals with the ability to compare/contrast.

That said, there have been RUMOURS of upcoming Encore Dinobots, I believe, but nothing terribly concrete.

picked up prime arcee, ratchet and another vehicon today at walmart. also went back and picked up several of the AM and 1st ed prime figures. deak, i blame you and your stellar pics.

Back