Anakin Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superb shots JediBear! You never fail to impress. My favorites are of him in front of the red rock. The large one just loaded. Wow that is impressive too! Easily a Tatooine backdrop!

JustinLuck said:
...The large one just loaded. Wow that is impressive too! Easily a Tatooine backdrop!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna remember that spot for when Old Ben arrives...if the winter doesn't wash it away!

Ok, it's super late (12am), so I need to post these fast. Here is my first try with Regular Anakin. He's still a work in progress. It's amazing how fast all my painting faults pop out at me when I take a photo and look at it on the computer screen. I'm definitely not done with his skin. But it wasn't until I saw the photos that I quickly realized I hadn't put enough coats over his nose. So it still has a bit of Sideshow yellow sheen, yikes! LOL I'm also not 100% happy with his eyes, but tonight was the first time I've ever painted eyes...so yeah. lol :rotfl

Anyway, I am pretty new at this, so please feel free to leave honest critiques. Sorry if any photos are a bit blurry. It's hard to hold a camera steady when you've been painting for hours. :lol

img9235800xt3.jpg

img9236800ck3.jpg

img9241800ch1.jpg

After I finish this one, Vader Anakin will be next. =)

and this was your first paint job? well then... I can't wait to see what else you do sir!

EXCELLENT work!! :chew

very nice job justin! impressive for your first attempt doesn't quite cover it -- you've got skills! thanks for sharing the pics.

JustinLuck said:
Anyway, I am pretty new at this, so please feel free to leave honest critiques. Sorry if any photos are a bit blurry. It's hard to hold a camera steady when you've been painting for hours. :lol

img9235800xt3.jpg

There no reason not to be pleased with this. Looks tons better than factory paint. Can't wait to see more Justin!

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

The brushes I had to use are somewhat old with dried paint on them. I hope to pick up some nice fine tip brushes and clear gloss to make better eyes in the near future.

Hayden's hair varied from a dirty blonde, to reddish brown, to dark brown, depending on the lighting throughout film. So I just chose a hair color I thought would look best for the character. It still might be too dark for some people's tastes.

Based on many photos, I noticed that Hayden's eyes are more of blue-gray green, than a straight blue. So I mixed dark green with different hues of blue.

Hayden's lips are quite full of color, so I tried to achieve a natural colored tone, while at the same time, trying to avoid the lipstick effect.

His skin tone looks darker in the pics, under yellow fluorescent lighting than it does in natural sunlight. Again, I tried a balance of colors because it varies so much on film.

I made a conscious effort to reduce the bushiness of his eyebrows, but if you look at photos of Hayden, his eyebrows aren't exactly thin so I couldn't trim them too much. But I did lower them closer to his eyes.

I want to reduce the furrow between his eyes because I painted his eyebrows in more of a relaxed state and I want to take advantage of the furrow for the Vader Anakin. I'm not sure if this is possible yet. But fortunately, the furrow is not too noticeable in these pics.

Also, you might notice that Hayden has very round eyes, whereas this sculpt has eyes that more oval. At first, I tried to make it look like he was squinting, but then his irises looked a bit too large. So I made them smaller and attempted to raise them because Hayden tends to have a white gap below the irises, even when he's not necessarily looking up. I also reduced the corners of his eyes by a slight amount.

I'm not sure if the scar on the side of his face is dark enough. I may have understated it too much. But I was just going by various pictures and I notice that the makeup artists varied the darkness and redness of it from scene to scene. I also know that scars fade to about that color over time. And with Star Wars technology, you would think they would have something better than Mederma. ;)

Anyway, please don't be shy and let me know what you don't like about the paint job, so I can improve it further. :)

img9218800he2.jpg

img9238800yc7.jpg

Outstanding work Justin!! That is amazing, really love the mood. He's calm and passive, something that is very very hard to get out of this sculpt. :rock

The tones are spot on, couldn't be better... I cannot wait to see what you do in the future, this is a GREAT start. :monkey5

Damn, Justin, that repaint is amazing. It's kind of spooky how good that sculpt is if painted right.

Too bad Sideshow can't get it's paint apps house in order. Just look at the hatchet job with Faramir. Thank goodness there's some talented painters out there and up-and-comers like you Justin.

You should be very proud.

Hey Andy, I think if you look in the customs thread there is thread on Vader customs and in there I remember seeing a hasbro painted up and mounted on a charred and burnt body (I maybe wrong but I think Die made it).

Thanks Marc. I was thinking the sculpt wasn't bad and some latex drizzled on a body would be great as burns.

die said:
That is an awesome looking background, jedibear!

I bought 2 regular SS Anakins last year. For the first Anakin: I stripped the paint, stripped the molded hair, sanded the jawline & a few other sections of the face and sculpted messy looking hair from scratch....

Anakin-die001.jpg

AnakinX2.jpg

Anakin-die2.jpg

Anakin-die1.jpg

For the second Anakin: I just reworked the face in areas, sculpted more hair on top of the original hair in places to bulk it up some, repainted it and added the Sith eyes....

sith-anakin1.jpg

sith-anakin3.jpg

sith-anakin2.jpg

I'll probably get another one eventually & try some different ideas with it. Originally, I wanted to try some fur or mohair or some sort but I just couldn't come up with any solid ideas that would work.

Hey Andy check out what die did. Is that what your talking about?

Hey thanks Amir! :D

Yeah that's awesome Die. Did you repaint the head or leave it as is? Its hard to tell in that pic.

I really like what you did with Anakins robe. Can we see some closer pics of the paint job? That is a Darren Anakin, no?

Back