Asmus Toys: Devil May Cry 1 - 1/6 Dante

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defeated Nelo Angelo, really fun game, seems pretty simple thus far. Don't love the lack of save points but the levels progress fast enough, even if you die to a boss it doesn't feel like a chore to get back to it.

This game along with a few others really reminds me of how peak the graphics of games in the very early to mid 2000s were. Of course from an objective standpoint, they've only gotten better, but something about this era just looks so cool.

This game along with a few others really reminds me of how peak the graphics of games in the very early to mid 2000s were. Of course from an objective standpoint, they've only gotten better, but something about this era just looks so cool.
Games today can really have that uncanny valley effect sometimes. I think back in those days the graphics were stylized enough that you wouldn't run into that issue

Games today can really have that uncanny valley effect sometimes. I think back in those days the graphics were stylized enough that you wouldn't run into that issue

Yeah, they're to a point where everything has to look somewhat grounded and realistic to work, If it were stylized like these older games it would come off as goofy and wouldn't work right.

Really hoping they put a proper wire into the bottom of the jacket, don't want it billowing outwards in museum poses.

They need to fix the color of the outfit and sleeves and shirt. That sculpt needs more work he looks to girlish from the jaw imo. Hopefully he comes with the other weapons.

….

IMG_3234.jpeg

Asmus-

IMG_3235.jpeg

No. NO.

If you’re adamant on giving us this portrait, please offer a 2nd one that LOOKS LIKE THE CHARACTER MODEL FROM THE GAME.

and what is with the dainty, thin neck?!!

Tried to get a proper front facing screenshot of his torso to get a good idea of what body could be used. He certainly doesn't come off as skinny like I get with these promo pics.

1722279521367.png

Im thinking a Damtoys body with different textured forearms may do the trick (specifically the Leon body, as I already have a spare one and the height should match Dante).

Its not too bulky but in no way skinny, makes sense for someone in his profession.

1722279736917.png

If you want to go slimmer I think this MAHA body looks very nice, though it would need ankle extenders I'm sure, its also single jointed which isn't ideal for this type of character.

1722280106498.png

As for the sculpt, hopefully a better version will come out from an artist. I asked Frank Jaeger, who is extremely good at doing these old video game characters justice with his sculpts, if he had any plans to make an accurate sculpt, he said no at the moment.

Photos taken from bbicn.
This Dante will be from the Crown series...

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_125503_047.jpg
    IMG_20240805_125503_047.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_125503_395.jpg
    IMG_20240805_125503_395.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_125503_597.jpg
    IMG_20240805_125503_597.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_125503_281.jpg
    IMG_20240805_125503_281.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm surprised that Dante's overall ratio is not as bad as I thought.
Has Asmus finally made a wide shoulder body for DMC?

Or maybe it's a small head size.

By the way, where did Ifrit's fist go?
"Ifrit" is not a tong.

1722863419638.png

Last edited:
He needs a wider jaw, and his lips need to be reworked and repainted. I'm not too pressed about the eyes though, maybe they could be squinted an little or something. The body proportions look really nice, but I'm sure hell be too short, and those boots are awful.

I think Ifrit is pretty underwhelming, I planned on just using Alastor as I think its more iconic but I did use Ifrit for most of the game. I think it should be an entire hand plug in with the golden gauntlets.

Could it be they based the headsculpt on cosplayers in an effort to develop a realistic sculpt? Cosplayers are always dousing themselves in makeup and contour these days… and this sculpt kind of shares that vibe.

I’m not saying this is exact but there are similarities. The cosplay is obviously DMC3 but I’m just thinking out loud.
D005D6C1-ACE5-447C-9D84-EC8BE1A76E09.jpeg

Omg im getting anxiety from looking at this portrait 😫😫😫

years of waiting for a PROPER 1/6 DMC 1 Dante…and THIS is the best they come up with?

ASMUS PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS HEADSCULPT.
Honestly, I cannot stand it. I usually just roll my eyes and move on when a figure isn't good, but the original Dante is by far one of my favourite characters ever and I hate that the figure looks like this because I desperately want a figure of this version of Dante. I know @vspectra was joking by posting the Tobey Maguire picture, but the more I see this figure, the more I think they really did use him as reference for this. Asmus make pretty bad head sculpts when they don't have access to a 3D game file to print out, so I was apprehensive about Dante, but they somehow made him even worse than expected.

Honestly, I cannot stand it. I usually just roll my eyes and move on when a figure isn't good, but the original Dante is by far one of my favourite characters ever and I hate that the figure looks like this because I desperately want a figure of this version of Dante. I know @vspectra was joking by posting the Tobey Maguire picture, but the more I see this figure, the more I think they really did use him as reference for this. Asmus make pretty bad head sculpts when they don't have access to a 3D game file to print out, so I was apprehensive about Dante, but they somehow made him even worse than expected.

I’d already let something like that slide in the past with Asmus’ DMC4 Dante, where the portrait was CLEARLY Sean Bean aka Boromir. They just used whatever they discarded and viola, Dante.

Because I was so starved for DMC merch, I settled for it anyway and mental gymnastic’d my way to accepting it.

On some level, I had settled for DMC3 Dante as well. Sculpt wasn’t anything to write home about, but it was a Dante 1/6 figure!

And now when we’ve got some pretty good to amazing DMC 5 figures, how the hell did this DMC1 Dante get passed ANY fan over at Asmus HQ??
Did no one there check them on this sculpt?

G-dammit…years…YEARS OF WAITING.

I’ll hold out on hope they’ll revise this or the very least show they have a 2nd portrait by the time they reveal this and the PO goes up.

Until then, hard pass. Wouldn’t touch with a King Cerberus sized Rebellion.

Good grief Asmus. Talk about swing and a BIG miss.

I’m gonna say it: InArt…PLEASE save us.

Back