Asmus Toys: Devil May Cry 1 - 1/6 Dante

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because **** you that's why.

Asmus got it's start doing unlicensed figures with really cheap bodies and questionable likeness, remember Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk? And some other characters they released before they had official LOTR and DMC licenses. All these came with really bad bodies that were either knock offs of existing market bodies or poor attempts at it, even the costumes also looked cheap because it wasn't done with accuracy in mind.

View attachment 718758

When they moved on to official licenses they brought their cheapness along with it. So what if they paired with PopToys, who have really good tailored clothings to make DMC figures? They use cheap bodies with poor proportions and poor headsculpt painting to look like some knockoff figures. They have always been this way and will never change. Their attempt at PR by having an official account here many years back only serves to stroke their ego but not their quality, because they didn't really care what the customers feel about their releases.

Yes, many companies got their start doing unlicensed figures but they will and do innovate as they move forward with official licenses. Asmus still feels like they are reigning in the early 2000s where questionable likeness is still widely accepted because that's the best you can get.

Except it's not.

Yeah, I'll have to study the manufacturer's history before buying some figures next time. lol

In fact, I have long thought that Asmus has a problem, not a technical problem, but their taste.
If they're not blind, They may be well aware of the difference between the original and their products.

As you say, they put their convenience above the satisfaction of buyers.
I thought they would listen to us and improve themselves, but not at all...

In the end,
what we've said so far has been meaningless I guess.

a62e5c16b7b7fd030667a62ee8b7b9a2.gif

Yeah, I'll have to study the manufacturer's history before buying some figures next time. lol

In fact, I have long thought that Asmus has a problem, not a technical problem, but their taste.
If they're not blind, They may be well aware of the difference between the original and their products.

As you say, they put their convenience above the satisfaction of buyers.
I thought they would listen to us and improve themselves, but not at all...

In the end,
what we've said so far has been meaningless I guess.

View attachment 718765
I will be honest, I want Asmus to succeed, I really do. They have some of the more interesting licenses for a bit when no other companies wanted to tackle but they just constantly settle with "meh, it's good enough I guess", which works until other unlicensed companies start waddling in the same pool with equal or better quality than their releases.

I don't know how Capcom works but looking at how they are willing to diversify their licenses to various companies, it wouldn't be long before Asmus loses its DMC license, because end of the day, the numbers will paint a good picture for them.

Yeah but what about their Ace Ventura? References is the wax doll of him.

View attachment 718769

View attachment 718768
Ace Ventura was good, in fact I think their Jim Carrey sculpts are strong, let down by the poor painting quality. It's like Star Ace except Asmus is the original at pulling this feat.

And if I'm not wrong, this was the more recent releases they had, which is in stark contrast to their older releases with really heavy handed brush strokes.

This is the best likeness of Sakuragi I've ever in my entire God damn life.

View attachment 718764

Can't tell if you're sarcastic. If not, put those glasses back on. Lol!

To their credit, their Yu Yu Hakusho is looking good so far. Maybe they should just lock down anime licenses and work on those. Less intricate clothing as well. Their DMC 5 feels half baked to me with Dante and Vergil being the best of the lineup. But even with those 2, it still didn't feel like a homerun for me.

I will be honest, I want Asmus to succeed, I really do. They have some of the more interesting licenses for a bit when no other companies wanted to tackle but they just constantly settle with "meh, it's good enough I guess", which works until other unlicensed companies start waddling in the same pool with equal or better quality than their releases.

I don't know how Capcom works but looking at how they are willing to diversify their licenses to various companies, it wouldn't be long before Asmus loses its DMC license, because end of the day, the numbers will paint a good picture for them.
Or until a bigger company like InArt gets the rights to LOTR then they want to try just a bit harder on that line. Really wish Capcom just allow others companies to take multiple licenses to compete as that push them to do better. Proof with HT and InArt atm.

They could have used this chance to try and get the upcoming Anime Series Dante out, would have been a unique addition I think - I low-key would love a 1/6 scale anime Dante to go with my anime figures separate from my Video game stuff personally but I know the series isn't out yet but it would have been cool imo
maxresdefault (3).jpg

Its a shame Asmus hasnt posted this publicly on social media, so none of us can give them proper feedback.

Seems like they know, they just dont care.

Hopefully the guys on the chinese forums are cooking the hell out of Asmus.

I’d defended Asmus for a while now. Always considered them an “underdog” and despite their stumbles here and there, I’d support them as best as I could and would even forgive them for certain mistakes because they’re a relatively smaller company and I convinced myself they were at least “trying”.

As mentioned before by @Bleah , their anime figures are actually good.

But this Dant…DON’TE has me livid.

I agree with the members that think Asmus should lose the rights to this. This figure is the definition of halfa****, throwaway trash.

Not like this Asmus…not like this…

But this Dant…DON’TE has me livid.

I agree with the members that think Asmus should lose the rights to this. This figure is the definition of halfa****, throwaway trash.
Totally agree. I'm actually mad at myself for being so mad about this figure.

I've always tried to maintain the attitude that the things in my collection are just toys and not something to ever get angry or frustrated over. Just luxury, non-essential items. If something doesn't look good, I simply feel a little disappointed and decide not to purchase. I think this may be the first time I've actually felt intensely annoyed about a figure though. I have already stressed how much I love the first game and this iteration of Dante. Seeing this mediocre attempt just makes me think about what could have been had a reputable sculptor been involved (and reputable tailor, as that outfit is not accurate and that scrawny body is not either) I don't want to care as much as I do, but this version of Dante deserves a 1/6 figure and it deserves a GOOD 1/6 figure.

Totally agree. I'm actually mad at myself for being so mad about this figure.

I've always tried to maintain the attitude that the things in my collection are just toys and not something to ever get angry or frustrated over. Just luxury, non-essential items. If something doesn't look good, I simply feel a little disappointed and decide not to purchase. I think this may be the first time I've actually felt intensely annoyed about a figure though. I have already stressed how much I love the first game and this iteration of Dante. Seeing this mediocre attempt just makes me think about what could have been had a reputable sculptor been involved (and reputable tailor, as that outfit is not accurate and that scrawny body is not either) I don't want to care as much as I do, but this version of Dante deserves a 1/6 figure and it deserves a GOOD 1/6 figure.

Nah man, don’t be mad you’re mad about this figure. You Have every right to be and have every right to express it.

we just wanted an awesome looking Dante from DMC1, the game that started the 3d character action game genre. DMC1 and Dante are significant to us fans.

I’ve never been so disappointed in Asmus as I am now. I hope this crashes and burns so they have no choice but to either surrender the license or ACTUALLY HIRE A SCULPTOR THAT IS COMPETENT.

I feel with a third part release like MT RE4 Remake Leon, they hit it out the park and Asmus can't even do a licensed brand correctly.
Nah man, don’t be mad you’re mad about this figure. You Have every right to be and have every right to express it.

we just wanted an awesome looking Dante from DMC1, the game that started the 3d character action game genre. DMC1 and Dante are significant to us fans.

I’ve never been so disappointed in Asmus as I am now. I hope this crashes and burns so they have no choice but to either surrender the license or ACTUALLY HIRE A SCULPTOR THAT IS COMPETENT.
This is going to be Evil Dead 2 Ash all over again.

Because **** you that's why.

Asmus got it's start doing unlicensed figures with really cheap bodies and questionable likeness, remember Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk? And some other characters they released before they had official LOTR and DMC licenses. All these came with really bad bodies that were either knock offs of existing market bodies or poor attempts at it, even the costumes also looked cheap because it wasn't done with accuracy in mind.

View attachment 718758

When they moved on to official licenses they brought their cheapness along with it. So what if they paired with PopToys, who have really good tailored clothings to make DMC figures? They use cheap bodies with poor proportions and poor headsculpt painting to look like some knockoff figures. They have always been this way and will never change. Their attempt at PR by having an official account here many years back only serves to stroke their ego but not their quality, because they didn't really care what the customers feel about their releases.

Yes, many companies got their start doing unlicensed figures but they will and do innovate as they move forward with official licenses. Asmus still feels like they are reigning in the early 2000s where questionable likeness is still widely accepted because that's the best you can get.

Except it's not.

This is the best likeness of Sakuragi I've ever in my entire God damn life.

View attachment 718764

As a pallet cleanser, here's a photo of Takehiko Inoue's mural of Vagabond from the Kinokuniya flagship store in Bryant Park, Manhattan (taken in 2017, unfortunately the store hasn't preserved the mural very well these days).

If only the figures were as good as his artwork :lol

37112267405_e1488f9d82_o.jpg

As a pallet cleanser, here's a photo of Takehiko Inoue's mural of Vagabond from the Kinokuniya flagship store in Bryant Park, Manhattan (taken in 2017, unfortunately the store hasn't preserved the mural very well these days).

******* Beautiful 😍

Nova Toys line of Slam Dunk figures are not too bad, especially their latest Miyagi figure. Though they are slow as heck and I guess it will be eons before we really complete the 5 line up.

Stupid question but did he really do that himself?

The Kai x eleven Vagabond is good but it's taking forever for Kojiro to come out. Maybe it'll never be completed just like the manga. 🤣

Stupid question but did he really do that himself?

The Kai x eleven Vagabond is good but it's taking forever for Kojiro to come out. Maybe it'll never be completed just like the manga. 🤣
Kojiro is almost done. Kai has posted a few updates recently.

Also I believe, and I'm only speculating. Asmus has lost the rights to Devil May Cry. They are only going to make DMC1 Dante and that will probably be the end. I went to their website and saw they don't have the DMC banner in their catalog nor any of their figures on site. If I'm right that's why they didn't post the figure on FB. This is it and I really do hope someone more suitable makes the line next. Dam toys or even InArt if they decide to do VG line.

Back