Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13681034_1193806347331724_2953891126665484033_n.jpg

Lookin' good....

Looking at pictures of his real hat, Im guess Asmus tailored this one as a cone and not into the bent shape. The movie version was formed into the wispy look. Not sure it can be done in mass market production but I wonder how much manipulation can be done to this one to give it that look without the wrinkles.

Looking at pictures of his real hat, Im guess Asmus tailored this one as a cone and not into the bent shape. The movie version was formed into the wispy look. Not sure it can be done in mass market production but I wonder how much manipulation can be done to this one to give it that look without the wrinkles.

I bet a piece of tin foil roughly shaped into a cone and place inside of hat will give the desired effect.

Those will hold the shape but because it was built as a cone, there will be added folds in the fabric there that aren't in the film. Its not a big deal and Im sure most wont care.

I'd love to pose a Fellowship on a Moria inspired shelf:

View attachment 281617

But I'm going to have to see how the rest of Asmus' figures turn out before committing to that kind of a collection. :)

I'll hold out hope for a LOTR Gandalf. Let's just hope that that first sculpt is offered. :pray:

How great would it be if Asmus did Balin's tomb as the extra base with Gimli! We'd need to get the correct cloaks and swords for the hobbits and hope that they include the correct cloak for Boromir and Legolas' pre-Lothlorien atire as well. We could always use SS' old accessories to pick up most of them if we had to as long as Asmus makes that cloak.

These latest pics show a lot of good aspects, but I hope the hat can sit further down on his head because I am sure if I get this I will want to mostly keep it on.

This is still a problem though...
Untitled-2.jpg

I'm not hating on the figure, I'm rooting for it. But I can't help notice this because it jumps out and distracts from an otherwise pretty good figure. Again, if the hat sits down a bit further, if I get this, I may just leave the hat on, but that's a shame because there are so many potential good poses without it.

These latest photos look pretty good. The tailoring and accessories all look excellent.

I wonder if this was a licensing issue? This was clearly marketed at the begining as LotR. First head shown was obviously the first films and the stone base too. Then all of a sudden a new head with a much older look drops along with a movie change. I'm speculating but did the licenser force the release of the Hobit first? Or did they not give approval for a LotR Gandalf? Or is Asmus trying to sell two figures? It all seems strange to me. Asmus has already said they are having trouble getting a Legolas head approved. Odd that this head got approval over the first sculpt shown.

They put the LOTR logo on Gandalf's announcement pics, despite the Hobbit sculpt.

WOW I think he looks fantastic! :clap

I cannot remember if he only used it during Helms Deep or not but I am hoping they include it. If they include his Helms Deep stuff and pre-Lothlorien bow and quiver then we will have a definitive LOTR Legolas.

He might of still had it on at the beginning of ROTK when they went to confront Saruman since they traveled to Isenguard right after the battle of Helms Deep.

That being said, Legolas is a character that you can man as an all inclusive for LOTR looks. Almost like what DiD did except they only had the ROTK license, not the full LOTR license.

Back