Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The previous head is swapped because we want to do a "Hobbit" Gandalf rather than "LOTR" Gandalf,
it is a closer released film to the present, and it would be an adequate impression to the recent publicity.

That's why we also added the scarf, an extra Hobbit staff and blue stripes on the sleeves..etc.
All to match his design in "The Hobbit"

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning here for swapping the head. The Hobbit trilogy was released more recently than the LOTR trilogy, but the latter is more highly regarded all-around. LOTR isn't a more stale license than The Hobbit. And Asmus has been releasing figures based on LOTR (in part, specifically the party of the Fellowship from the first trilogy) since the line started with something like 85% of the figures based on the original LOTR trilogy. So... huh? Don't get me wrong, I'm buying Gandalf anyway, but the explanation for the shift in focus seems a little tone deaf to me.

Just as an example, Hot Toys didn't pass on making Original Star Wars Trilogy Han Solo and Chewbacca simply because there's a newer movie with an older Han Solo and Chewbacca (Hot Toys is making/made both versions actually). And the existence of a newer Star Wars movie with more recent versions of characters does not mean that fans aren't interested in the older Star Wars movies and those older movies' versions of characters. Like Star Wars, fans of LOTR would probably say they prefer the original movies over the later sequels/prequels (personally, the original trilogies are my preference for both Star Wars and LOTR). Praise of the original Gandalf sculpt versus the version that's being released should make it clear that popularity rates higher than recency.

That's just my assessment of the fanbase based on my personal feelings as a fan. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll support Asmus' products whichever way they go.

Strange. I just saw pics of the box and it states The Hobbit instead of LOTR!!! That actually annoys me a little because I was sure all the promotional pics indicated it was LOTR. Maybe that really does explain why they went with an older looking headsculpt? For me, I think that was a bad decision. I would've much preferred the first younger LOTR accurate headsculpt.

The new photos just posted on Facebook look much better. Puts me at ease. I wish it was a LOTR Gandalf but knowing it's officially a hobbit Gandalf as the box art shows makes me acknowledge it looks pretty good for what it is. If they release the original head sculpt as a LOTR Gandalf I'll buy it and be a very happy man as that's the wizard I want in my fellowship collection. I still think the beard has too much brown in it but I'll judge it when I have it in hand as it will probably vary from figure to figure.

The new photos just posted on Facebook look much better. Puts me at ease. I wish it was a LOTR Gandalf but knowing it's officially a hobbit Gandalf as the box art shows makes me acknowledge it looks pretty good for what it is. If they release the original head sculpt as a LOTR Gandalf I'll buy it and be a very happy man as that's the wizard I want in my fellowship collection. I still think the beard has too much brown in it but I'll judge it when I have it in hand as it will probably vary from figure to figure.

I just looked at them after reading this. They look much better. It's amazing how much a difference it makes seeing different pictures. I still wish it was Gandalf from the LOTR though. I'm actually on the fence on this. If I knew Asmus was making a Gandalf from LOTR I would wait and get that but we don't know if they will or not. I have zero interest in The Hobbit line. I thought it was a mistake to take it on when they got it.

I'd love to pose a Fellowship on a Moria inspired shelf:

screenshot-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-film-5.jpg

But I'm going to have to see how the rest of Asmus' figures turn out before committing to that kind of a collection. :)

I'll hold out hope for a LOTR Gandalf. Let's just hope that that first sculpt is offered. :pray:

I'd love to pose a Fellowship on a Moria inspired shelf:

View attachment 281617

But I'm going to have to see how the rest of Asmus' figures turn out before committing to that kind of a collection. :)

I'll hold out hope for a LOTR Gandalf. Let's just hope that that first sculpt is offered. :pray:

What would suck about a second release, is that we were all led to believe that this was part of the fellowship, they announced him "The Two Towers" Gandalf, with the moria bridge and everything, so we'd probly miss that awesome first sculpt. I'm sure that I`ll modify mine and that at the end I'll be pleased with the overall result, any figure with synthetic hair needs a little fuzzing.

I'm hoping for a Big Chief style expansion pack. BCS offer alternate head sculpts on their own.

That way we get an awesome sculpt and Asmus don't get as much flak from collectors for double dipping, and they make some money of course. :)

I wonder if this was a licensing issue? This was clearly marketed at the begining as LotR. First head shown was obviously the first films and the stone base too. Then all of a sudden a new head with a much older look drops along with a movie change. I'm speculating but did the licenser force the release of the Hobit first? Or did they not give approval for a LotR Gandalf? Or is Asmus trying to sell two figures? It all seems strange to me. Asmus has already said they are having trouble getting a Legolas head approved. Odd that this head got approval over the first sculpt shown.

W they announced him "The Two Towers" Gandalf, with the moria bridge and everything, so we'd probly miss that awesome first sculpt.

I do not get it. Why do we discover it is Hobbit-Gandalf only when it is released, and because of it's box? It was LotR Gandalf on pre-order. I will keep it, but it is not a good move.

Yes, this swapping of LOTR for Hobbit is a not so good move. At the very least, I would like Asmus to produce that older LOTR sculpt and give purchasers the option of getting that one, even if it's at a reduced price or something. Everything else on the figure seems great.

I do not get it. Why do we discover it is Hobbit-Gandalf only when it is released, and because of it's box? It was LotR Gandalf on pre-order. I will keep it, but it is not a good move.

Yeah, that is troublesome, for us. Its a legitimacy issue. If they had told us - we have Lotr Gandalf Coming out, and The Hobbit Gandalf, I'd waited for the LOTR version. Thats the main problem. So its understandable even tho its a great set, figure, extras, that people will feel disappointed in the company somewhat.
And when will he be shipping from Asmus?

I try not to be a harsh critic but I have to agree that this was not a good move. George it's much appreciated that you're here and you owe none of us anything but can you shed some light on what happened?

Back