Asmus Toys - Thranduil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should post these on the Asmus site on FB Dresky. Lots of haters there.

Sent them a PM on Facebook (i don't think i'm allowed to post there).

There will always be haters. I mean, i know this figure's headsculpt isn't very accurate, but it's still great (nice paint job, etc).

When i looked in my Detolf this morning, i saw a superb figure of an elven king. The armor's great, the weapons are great, love the wired cape, love the base, the body's super flexible and even the box art surprised me.

And once you fix the hair, it's just great to look at. For 200$ (shipping included), it's an awesome deal.

P.S.: And i'm not a blind fanboy, this is actually my first Asmus figure.

I am really, really, reeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy having trouble with this figure. I really want to get it, I really want to support Asmus and have a LOTR collection. If I buy it, I'm also buying Eowyn so he's not alone. The issue is, I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it. I'm such a stickler about detail, and I'm worried about the sculpts on these figures not looking as accurate as they should.

What do you guys think? I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan and really want to get into this line, but I'm scared to dive into it if I'm not going to be happy. Are any of you other Tolkein fans truly happy with these?

I am really, really, reeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy having trouble with this figure. I really want to get it, I really want to support Asmus and have a LOTR collection. If I buy it, I'm also buying Eowyn so he's not alone. The issue is, I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it. I'm such a stickler about detail, and I'm worried about the sculpts on these figures not looking as accurate as they should.

What do you guys think? I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan and really want to get into this line, but I'm scared to dive into it if I'm not going to be happy. Are any of you other Tolkein fans truly happy with these?
I feel you on this. I was really excited to hear someone was making Thranduil, but I just can get myself to purchase this. The face sculpt doesn't look like Lee and I would have rather had his look from Desolation.
It's great that Asmus makes LOTR/ Hobbit figures, but their sculpts just aren't there imo.

Hi, I really understand what you mean. I don't post as much as before because I'm disappointed by Asmus 's latest realeases, and I don't want to be the hater here. With them, you never know what you get until the figure is in hand. Gandalf and Saruman were great, Grishnak was awesome (bought these three), but the 4 Hobbits were very disappointing, especially Frodo and Sam. (did'nt bought them) It's frustrating, because the outfits looks gorgeous, and top quality, the paintjob is good, but the headscupts... For me it's the most important point: at least you look at the figure and imediately recognize the character and the actor/actress. Seriously, if you buy a 200 dollars figure it has to look like the character. I was enthusiastic in buying Thranduil, the proto looked good enough for me (not 100% accurate but still very good imo) but I'm disappointed with the final product. I don't post pictures of my figure because it's exactly the same as the ones you seen before on this thread, and I don't want to hate on this. Everybody seems to be happy with it, so it's a good thing and maybe it's just me that have a problem ;) but I really can't see Lee Pace in the sculpt. Worse, the head is obviously narrowed, and do not really fit "human standards". Ok Lee Pace has a oval shape of head, but the figure has a much more stretched head.
And, worse, it means that you may see a perfect sculpt of Legolas, or Boromir, and get a corrupted headsculpt once it's in hand...
Somebody posted this picture on their fb, and for me it tells the whole problem. The proto were not 100%, but it looked good, and well proportionnate. The figure does not.
It's a shame, because the outfit, one more time, is great.
So it's up to you, the pictures you can see here perfectly describe what you will get, no lens distortion or whatever, the photos are very good. Everybody seems to be happy with it, so one more time it's just my opinion and maybe you will be totally satisfied.
For me the question is, should I buy the next figures only in trusting the proto pictures..... :/

16403049_1633868603297264_3552754870863981434_o.jpg

I bought Thranduil because i'm a LotR/Hobbit book fan. I never liked the other figures proposed by Asmus (except the bad guys who all look awesome) and i was totally aware that the final product would be different than the proto. But in the end, i knew i had to have a representation of Thranduil in my collection.

Does he look like Lee Pace? No.

Does he look like Thranduil? Yes.

Do i feel like i got 200$ worth : Absolutely.

I love Tolkien LOTR and I'm happy with every figure I've purchased from asmus...as a huge fan I can't imagine you wouldn't feel the same. They may not be perfect but they still look great and are immediately recognizable as the characters we all love....that's what I think anyway

Just some low quality pics with my phone, I'll post some high quality ones later. The sculpt is really nice, from many angles it's just about spot on in my opinion. After futzing with the hair a little I think it really adds to the likeness.

Great work Asmus!

f75c5631a65f885333dc6323ee69eb7d.jpg
3c985c0ef96cfccf3ad42fd1be313f46.jpg

Just some low quality pics with my phone, I'll post some high quality ones later. The sculpt is really nice, from many angles it's just about spot on in my opinion. After futzing with the hair a little I think it really adds to the likeness.

Great work Asmus!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/f75c5631a65f885333dc6323ee69eb7d.jpg[/IMG[IMGhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/3c985c0ef96cfccf3ad42fd1be313f46.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Wow the face looks great in your pictures.

Wow the face looks great in your pictures.

I think it is because the hair is flatter to his face rather than it puffing out like it does straight out of the box. Just popped the head off and brushed it a little with some warm water and and added some gel to keep it matted down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a pic with the tiara removed (for science! lol). Looks like it was pinned in the forehead and not just glued. Or maybe the glue melted the tiara's plastic.

20170210_073753.jpg
20170210_073803.jpg

I love Tolkien LOTR and I'm happy with every figure I've purchased from asmus...as a huge fan I can't imagine you wouldn't feel the same. They may not be perfect but they still look great and are immediately recognizable as the characters we all love....that's what I think anyway

That's pretty much where I stand on all the figures as well.

I'm actually impressed by some of these photos. I decided not to get him, but he seems like a worth while purchase. It all comes down to the hair. If you can futz it well it makes all the difference in the world. Non futzed it looks quite average and you lose quite a bit of the likeness. Take care of the hair (as to be expected with rooted hair) and he looks superb. I don't know if I'll ever pick him up in the future but those who have collected him seem to have good reason to be happy.

Just pre-ordered this guy from Entertainment Earth (thanks to Michael Crawford's review link!), and I just thought I'd let you all know they have free shipping on him right now!

Just pre-ordered this guy from Entertainment Earth (thanks to Michael Crawford's review link!), and I just thought I'd let you all know they have free shipping on him right now!

Thank you for the tip. Just ordered mine from them.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Back