Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to glue an earring on to a David from Lost Boys fig, any idea of a strong glue that will dry flat not shiny?

Please guys any tutorial page or link for us, the begginers into the sculpting world? I'm working in my first head sculpt and I'm getting a hard time! Please help!!

Alright guys, I'm sure this has been addressed 100 times before, so I apologize. I'm going to try my luck with repainting the skin on some figures. I have Liquitex paints from an art class I took, so I plan on using that, unless you have a better suggestion. My real question is, I don't have an airbrush - is it necessary to use for smooth skin, or can I use watered-down paint with my brushes?

You don't need an airbrush, just lots of layers with very thin paint.
I can't stress enough how far superior Model Master Acryl is to Liquitex.

not sure if this is the right place for this question.
i'm looking to make some larger bases for my hot toys 1/6 figures, they'll look similar to the ones you get with it.
i'm struggling to find or come up with ideas for the name plate/plaque, as in "joker, bank robber edition" or whatever.
i'll be transfering the text onto it with transfers so if anyone has any ideas of what i can use. they dont need to be exactly the same but i like it angled in so you can read it from higher up.
any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks, i had a look there although there wasn't really any technical info.
what i'm wanting is on the hot toys stand, you have the little name plate, i'm wanting something similar, but bigger.

Was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd start here:

I'm fairly new to 1:6 scale collecting and have a few questions on care/customization of the clothing.

1. What's the best way to de-wrinkle clothes? Iron? Steam? Any tips?
2. I need to repaint some gloved hands. Which paint should I look for? Any tips on application?
3. Is there anything out there that would allow me to paint fabric? I have some black socks that I would like to try and turn into SA Joker socks. Thoughts?
4. Which dyes are best for these clothes?
5. I have a suit that I would like to weather. Are there any tried and true techniques for making clothing/boots look weathered, and used?

That's it for now. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks guys! :D

Was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd start here:

I'm fairly new to 1:6 scale collecting and have a few questions on care/customization of the clothing.

1. What's the best way to de-wrinkle clothes? Iron? Steam? Any tips?
2. I need to repaint some gloved hands. Which paint should I look for? Any tips on application?
3. Is there anything out there that would allow me to paint fabric? I have some black socks that I would like to try and turn into SA Joker socks. Thoughts?
4. Which dyes are best for these clothes?
5. I have a suit that I would like to weather. Are there any tried and true techniques for making clothing/boots look weathered, and used?

That's it for now. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks guys! :D

You can iron the clothes just be careful with the heat settings on synthetic fabrics. Also do the 'water treatment' for a more natural look to the clothes:
https://www.rebelscum.com/features/laundryday/lowsink/default.asp
The general consensus is Model Master Acryl that you probably find at Pearl on South but if you can't, go over the bridge to Jersey, get on 30 into Somerdale and AAA Hobbies carries it.
Joanne fabrics has a big supply of different fabrics. Normal size socks would look too fat and poofy.
RIT fabric dye works great but no dye works on synthetic fabric very well. Cotton will hold the color best.
If you look in Dark Artist' thread you will find some of the best tutorials on weathering on the web. Josh is a genius at it.
Hope it helps.

You can iron the clothes just be careful with the heat settings on synthetic fabrics. Also do the 'water treatment' for a more natural look to the clothes:
https://www.rebelscum.com/features/laundryday/lowsink/default.asp
The general consensus is Model Master Acryl that you probably find at Pearl on South but if you can't, go over the bridge to Jersey, get on 30 into Somerdale and AAA Hobbies carries it.
Joanne fabrics has a big supply of different fabrics. Normal size socks would look too fat and poofy.
RIT fabric dye works great but no dye works on synthetic fabric very well. Cotton will hold the color best.
If you look in Dark Artist' thread you will find some of the best tutorials on weathering on the web. Josh is a genius at it.
Hope it helps.

Thanks man! Good to get advice from a local. I know Pearl, I can stop in there.

And as for the socks, I was referring to a pair of black 1:6 scale socks I have - I wondered if I could add the color to achieve that SA sock pattern for my Nurse Joker bash.

I'll will check out Dark Artist on weathering as well.

I appreciate the help. :)

Couple of quick questions! What paints should I get to paint up a head and seal it. And what's the best way to remove old paint and a small amount of sculpted on bread also from a head. This is my first go at this so be gentle!
Thanks

Model Master Acryl and Testors Dullcote.
Any kind of acetone will remove paint. Nail polish remover or the more powerful versions like Goof Off.
A dremel.

Please help on how to create the core of a clay head

Hi
Who can help me on the development of the sturdy foil and glue center (core) to build a clay head onto before sculpting begins?...

Thanks a lot!!
JULIO

Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

les here are a few i'm using for reference now:

new03.jpg

closepicsll3-1.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Yup more brown needed. :lol

I'm going to "attempt" to simulate the burst effect from the pupil out this time around.

Les having a couple of your repaints on hand picks at me to ask this question.

What kind of brush do you use to paint the white under the iris between lower eyelid?

If you paint your whites last thats gotta be a helluva fine line.

Is this what you are referring to about the liner.....What do you think too strong?

DSC00331-1.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

very very nice:banana

Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

acetone will do fine...........just use it sparingly and dont fling it. for my marmits i just kinda painted over them with a airbrush using a paint that was somewhat like desert sand. but if your looking for a clean version go with acetone & a qtip do get it where you need it. dab some on and let it sit a bit then go at it again, repeat until clean. here's mine without removing the existing paint....
ss06.jpg

compliment very nice

Back