Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, very nice. nice in fact so nice that a few more nice posts will take you nicely to 50.

nice spammy niceness

Re: Please help on how to create the core of a clay head

Hi
Who can help me on the development of the sturdy foil and glue center (core) to build a clay head onto before sculpting begins?...

Thanks a lot!!
JULIO

Julio I used to use the foil build up, but its actually more work than necessary. The average head only takes 3/4 of a sculpey III block.

Also I recommend that when you bake it, set the oven for 200 or 215F and let the head bake for 30 minutes then raise the temp to 275F and leave it in for another forty minutes. When time is up turn the oven off and leave the head inside and let it cool down in the oven. If you take it out the temp change can cause cracking.

Where I can find all the nice custom HS ? Can anyone please list out the scupltor 's name in this forum so i can search them ?

Thanks

Where I can find all the nice custom HS ? Can anyone please list out the scupltor 's name in this forum so i can search them ?

Thanks

Depends on what kind of HS you're looking for, but the best place to start would be in the Customs section. You might want to read through the guideline threads first, before you start hunting... Good luck!

hi guys Im new to the 1/6 painting realm.I noticed that a majority of you guys use pastels to do shading and 5 0'clock shadows.what are the best pastels to use.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the absolute wealth of info on here. I've been an avid 1/6 collector for a while and, being a former art major and even former sculptor, I've decided to challenge myself by making a custom 1/6 figure. I'm wondering what you guys use to make a custom head sculpt thats hot toys compatible. Specifically, what do you use to cast the final head. I'm not sure what material would work especially if its a head that has the neck attached. The hot toys heads seem to be made of a rubberized plastic that's a bit flexible so it fits over the plug. i'm also wondering how to mold it with the hole for the plug and not having to carve it out. I'm pretty sure i can figure out the second one, but any info you guys have would be great.

I've used a variety of materials and resins over the years. For a beginning I recommend smooth-on oomoo 25 silicone and smooth cast 300 resin. They are easy to use and relatively cheap.

I've used a variety of materials and resins over the years. For a beginning I recommend smooth-on oomoo 25 silicone and smooth cast 300 resin. They are easy to use and relatively cheap.

I'm assuming the silicone for the mold and the resin for the head, right?it's been a while so I'm a little rusty on my materials lol. Is there a way to cast it so that it will fit on a hot toys true type? I noticed the ones with the neck piece have some kind of insert, but the ones with the neck as part of the head have been cast on something to give it the correct hole in the bottom. I guess just buy a true type and cast onto the neck joint?

Yes, the silicone is for the mold. Some people like to use urethane for the mold but I find it messy and uncooperative. The silicone is a nice 1:1 ratio mix, as is the resin.
Your best bet is to just cast it solid and dremel out the neck hole and attach it with some glue. I use hot glue so if I want to remove it I an do so easily,

Yes, the silicone is for the mold. Some people like to use urethane for the mold but I find it messy and uncooperative. The silicone is a nice 1:1 ratio mix, as is the resin.
Your best bet is to just cast it solid and dremel out the neck hole and attach it with some glue. I use hot glue so if I want to remove it I an do so easily,

Thanks for the tips! I'll post pics of the finished Red Skull project when I'm done for sure!

Would anyone have any tips for weathering a coat and pants from Sideshow's A New Nightmare Freddy. Hopefully weathering wasn't just covered in these posts! Thanks

Hello! I'm starting work on a custom project, and I wanted to ask a couple of fairly specific questions. I'm relatively new to the 1/6 scale world, so any help at all would be most appreciated!

I'm wondering where / if / how it easy it would be to obtain the following:

A slighty short body... more along the 5'8" height range than 6'.

A pair of black trousers.

A pair of heavy black work shoes.

I know there's an enormous community of customisers, tailors, companies, and pretty much anything anyone could hope for out there... I just don't quite know how to find them!

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet everyone! :)

-Andy

Hello! I'm starting work on a custom project, and I wanted to ask a couple of fairly specific questions. I'm relatively new to the 1/6 scale world, so any help at all would be most appreciated!

I'm wondering where / if / how it easy it would be to obtain the following:

A slighty short body... more along the 5'8" height range than 6'.

A pair of black trousers.

A pair of heavy black work shoes.

I know there's an enormous community of customisers, tailors, companies, and pretty much anything anyone could hope for out there... I just don't quite know how to find them!

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet everyone! :)

-Andy

https://www.toyanxiety.com/star-wars-luke-skywalker-bespin---figure.aspx
https://www.toyanxiety.com/reservoir-dogs-general---suit.aspx
https://onesixthdepot.com/cart/index.php?cPath=131&osCsid=ad06491b9bd5e79d104f568cd9b786b1

Thanks for the links! Much appreciated!

So, I've been perusing bodies for several hours now... I've read news posts in the past of shorter bodies being introduced, that Luke being one of them. Having now scoured the internet, I've come across a dizzying number and variety of body models. I've discovered ATOModels bodies; True Type regular and slim; Enterbay; EVO; BBI 3.5 (which looks good, although for the life of me I can't figure out where to actually buy one); Hot Toys Generation Life; and various names for Sideshow bodies, of which a comprehensive list does not seem to be available, to say nothing of the bodies themselves. The sheer number of options is astounding! And, to be honest, overwhelming. The one thing I can't find about most of these is their height... I've noticed what appear to be ankle extensions in some photographs, but since I don't know what the base height is, that's not much help.

So! I would like to ask you guys... I'm looking for a body that's more articulated and more slender than the Sideshow Luke, but which is just as short. What would you all recommend? Because I don't think I can look around the internet any more! GAH!

Thanks again!

Ok, guys I need some help!

I'm looking to get some heads made for customs, and I'd be eternally grateful if you kind people could provide me with the names and links to websites/ways to contact a range of different sculptors.

It's something that I'd be wanting personally, and I think only 1 other person on the board would be interested, so I'm not going to do it as an open commission sort of thing - I'll be getting it done for myself.

So yes, if people could let me know sculptors with ways to contact them, It'd be very helpful!

What do you guys that cast use as a release agent? Is there a way i can make it myself? I'm not really in the mood to pay $16 for a can of the real stuff since i'm just starting out.

What do you guys that cast use as a release agent? Is there a way i can make it myself? I'm not really in the mood to pay $16 for a can of the real stuff since i'm just starting out.

I've been casting heads in silicone molds for about four years now and have never needed a release agent. It will help your mold last longer if you get the release but not generally necessary with silicone.

Urethane is a different story.

There is a photo chart here somewhere comparing many of the various bodies.

Now that would be enormously helpful! I've been searching for it, I keep coming up empty. You don't happen to know where I could find it, do you?

I bought the recommended short Sideshow body, but it's coming out looking quite buff... I may be able to shave the shoulders and arms down enough to make it work, but I'd like to keep shopping around.

Thanks!

Back