*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
Pretty much what I thought, repeat formula greatest hits amped up.

Evil Dead was the same.....nothing really here to write home about.

Can we add SPOILERS to the thread title so we can talk about it while others buy their tickets?

How are some of you guys seeing this early, it isn't even out yet... and I think the advanced screening is tomorrow?

Yup same sentiments are starting to already come out, overkill.

There's nowhere left to go. The Alien concept is now an established cultural and film icon. The first Alien under Ridley Scott, you had the unexpected/never seen before shock value. You can't replicate that now. Aliens under James Cameron answered the question on what happens if you had to fight a ton of them. Also what if you had the means to fight a ton of them. IMHO, Alvarez made his same basic film over and over again and then hit the gas pedal. Anything that chips away at established lore is trying to wedge in the potential for fertile future narrative ground. Would I do that? No. But I understand why it's happening from a universe building perspective when the bean counters get to it.

We've seen underwater Aliens, Aliens being bred by a future military industrial complex, sex with an Alien, a "newborn" Alien, Aliens fighting Predators, Aliens hunting monk like prisoners, Aliens killing Tywin Lannister, even Aliens going hard against Jussie Smollett and Kenny Powers. How many variations of jump scares and "cat and mouse" can you do? The longer you drag out a beloved IP, just to monetize it, the more you will eventually break canon in half and/or head into unintentional self parody.

You've got very little left except fan service, nostalgia and spectacle. When you've got nothing else, give great spectacle. At least it shows people that those behind the scenes actually gave a damn at all in the first place.

That seems very unimaginative... and basically what suits would have you believe.

No where to go, best you could do? Really?
Well, there's a strong possibility there's nowhere to go, when I think of what made the original two films great.

You set them loose on a populated planet you basically have a zombie movie. Realistically, what else could you do that wouldn't kill the mystery?

Not saying it's impossible but it's a tall order. Kinda like an attempted sequel trilogy from a certain other franchise.

Well, there's a strong possibility there's nowhere to go, when I think of what made the original two films great.

You set them loose on a populated planet you basically have a zombie movie. Realistically, what else could you do that wouldn't kill the mystery?

Not saying it's impossible but it's a tall order. Kinda like an attempted sequel trilogy from a certain other franchise.

They managed it with Prey -- different times; one new way to go.

I mean, they just keep treading the same story beats and same elements. As another example, despite the fact I don't care for the idea of a "Queen", Cameron expanded the zone.

It just takes one clever person. A room full of moderate creatives won't get you anything but a xerox.

They managed it with Prey -- different times; one new way to go.

I mean, they just keep treading the same story beats and same elements. As another example, despite the fact I don't care for the idea of a "Queen", Cameron expanded the zone.

It just takes one clever person. A room full of moderate creatives won't get you anything but a xerox.
Haven't seen 'Prey' -- maybe I'll give it shot. You're right, one clever person ... as I said, not impossible. But I don't like the odds.

I think Predator is more interesting than Alien as a character. Simply by being what he is, he contributes a lot of plot, which makes his movies easier to write. You can take the Predator, drop him into any time period or setting and hit "play," whereas Alien needs a compelling human story built around it. And the best Alien movies are the ones where that human story leverages or synergizes with the monster's unique traits.

Alien has the simplest plot, but it's also our first exposure to the creature so it works. Aliens is great because it has the mother vs. mother dynamic, justified by the introduction of the queen. Alien 3 deals with themes of female bodily autonomy, which works because of how the titular creature gestates (but it also makes some rather bold decisions that kick off the franchise's downward trend).

The problem with Romulus (I haven't seen it yet, but I suspected this from the first trailer) is that it's another instance where the creature is set loose on a group of people in a haunted ship. We saw that with the original. We saw it again with Prometheus and Covenant, though those films did benefit from the David angle. While it technically works, it's the simplest thing you can do and it's been done to death.

Alien requires more creativity from a writing standpoint. It won't write itself like Predator. But that carries a risk: color too far outside the lines and the film ends up stupid or betrays the lore.

Last edited:

There's nowhere left to go. The Alien concept is now an established cultural and film icon. The first Alien under Ridley Scott, you had the unexpected/never seen before shock value. You can't replicate that now. Aliens under James Cameron answered the question on what happens if you had to fight a ton of them. Also what if you had the means to fight a ton of them. IMHO, Alvarez made his same basic film over and over again and then hit the gas pedal. Anything that chips away at established lore is trying to wedge in the potential for fertile future narrative ground. Would I do that? No. But I understand why it's happening from a universe building perspective when the bean counters get to it.

We've seen underwater Aliens, Aliens being bred by a future military industrial complex, sex with an Alien, a "newborn" Alien, Aliens fighting Predators, Aliens hunting monk like prisoners, Aliens killing Tywin Lannister, even Aliens going hard against Jussie Smollett and Kenny Powers. How many variations of jump scares and "cat and mouse" can you do? The longer you drag out a beloved IP, just to monetize it, the more you will eventually break canon in half and/or head into unintentional self parody.

You've got very little left except fan service, nostalgia and spectacle. When you've got nothing else, give great spectacle. At least it shows people that those behind the scenes actually gave a damn at all in the first place.

That seems very unimaginative... and basically what suits would have you believe.

No where to go, best you could do? Really?

the greatest idea for an alien movie was wasted on AVPR
yes AVPR. is crap. its too dark.

but I've always loved that plot line. I've loved the idea of a small town being attacked.

I think Predator is more interesting than Alien as a character. Simply by being what he is, he contributes a lot of plot, which makes his movies easier to write. You can take the Predator, drop him into any time period or setting and hit "play," whereas Alien needs a compelling human story built around it. And the best Alien movies are the ones where that human story leverages or synergizes with the monster's unique traits.

Alien has the simplest plot, but it's also our first exposure to the creature so it works. Aliens is great because it has the mother vs. mother dynamic, justified by the introduction of the queen. Alien 3 deals with themes of female bodily autonomy, which works because of how the titular creature gestates (but it also makes some rather bold decisions that kick off the franchise's downward trend).

The problem with Romulus (I haven't seen it yet, but I suspected this from the first trailer) is that it's another instance where the creature is set loose on a group of people in a haunted ship. We saw that with the original. We saw it again with Prometheus and Covenant, though those films did benefit from the David angle. While it technically works, it's the simplest thing you can do and it's been done to death.

Alien requires more creativity from a writing standpoint. It won't write itself like Predator. But that carries a risk: color too far outside the lines and the film ends up stupid or betrays the lore.
What is an Alien if not a T-Rex with acid and long arms lol

Predator is a way more versatile character who unfortunately was given only 1 perfect movie.

Alien has 2 perfect movies although most kids today say Alien 1 is super boring.

Predator only has 1 perfect movie

T-Rex only has 1 perfect movie

Last edited:
What is an Alien if not a T-Rex with acid and long arms lol

Predator is a way more versatile character who unfortunately was given only 1 perfect movie.

Alien has 2 perfect movies although most kids today say Alien 1 is super boring.

Predator only has 1 perfect movie

T-Rex only has 1 perfect movie
prey is a perfect predator prequel

Prey is incredible. 10/10, easily my second favourite Predator movie after the original.

Honestly - before Prometheus I would have said the Space Engineer/ship was the way to go in terms of expanding the scope.
Not all aliens in the Alien franchise are Xenomorphs after all.
But Ridley kind of put a hard bullet in the back of that idea's head, until it all gets rebooted and rewritten/redesigned in the future.
But if they do revisit the Engineer concept then they need to do away with all the human-esque qualities they've given them - make them strange and other and unknowable, lovecraftian or in a word Alien - something like the Shimmer from Annihilation, something so far from our own understanding.

But honestly - you dont really need to reinvent the wheel, you just need really good characters.
That in my opinion is why every Alien movie after Aliens suffered - an absense of good characters, in Aliens 3 they killed off Ripley's supporting figures and indeed quite a bit of Ripley's own humanity - a problem compounded in Resurrection with the Alien-Ripley hybrid, and pretty much all the new characters in later films are just so poorly written in comparison, and instead the Xenomorph has become the central focus.
Great horror has you invested in the characters and their story/world/survival.
Create a new and great protagonist who isn't just diet-coke Ripley and I think thats half the work done there.

Back