*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty stoked to see this on the big screen. I hope the younger cast delivers and I’m looking forward to the sound design of all things:)

Gods I hope this movie is good......

1723510609393.png

I would've preferred a guy in a suit :lol
I mean they probably use both, but, people would complain if you could tell it was a guy in a suit too :lol .
Others would want or complain about CG, animatronics is a great alternative.
And just cause it's fully on display here, doesn't mean they will show it like that on film.

Last edited:
9041v2.gif

I want one.
Love when movies use something other than CGI - animatronics and practical effects always look more real and age better because there is something actually there and the eye can tell the difference.
Nice, thats the old-school Big Chap design yes?
The skull in the chrome/see-through dome is from that design but I'm not up to date on all the details.

I’m pretty stoked to see this on the big screen.

Like most high level creatives, Fede Alvarez makes the same kind of film over and over again. Which works here for Romulus. Good momentum/pacing. He consistently does that well. Understands tension and fan service. A lot of American directors fall apart for those components. He seems to intuitively understand the practical acting range of his cast, and doesn't try to exceed that.

I enjoyed it. I think it's worth seeing in theaters. I believe legacy Alien fans will be happy with the core storyline. I also appreciate that Spaeny wasn't marketed as jailbait. It would have been easy to do that here.

Elements for things like soft backdoor pilots, sequels, graphic novels, tie in novels, teasing a possible TV series, etc, etc, that has to all be baked in now. It's kind of unavoidable in modern film, especially with a true legacy IP. Just wash it out of your head and enjoy what can be enjoyed in the present as the narrative unfolds on screen.

IMHO, my personal litmus test for an Alien film is if you removed the actual legacy/lore established Aliens and replaced it with something else the audience has never seen before. Would it still be a good film? There's a big difference between a good film that happens to have an Alien in it versus what is often rationalized as a good "Alien" driven film. Worlds apart. But that's just me.

Ah, the embargo is over...

I have to say, I enjoyed this movie for the first 40 minutes, I think. The familiar SOUNDS were the best form of callbacks. I was good with the kids for awhile. The effects were beautiful. Some of the rooms, creepy. And the ticking clock was new.

But once a familiar face made himself a central character, the movie started to go off the rails. Logic went out the window. And the "greatest hits" began. It became a video game. Lots of action, for sure. Lots of levels. And lots of "wait, how does that happen?". The central premise makes no sense. But it has almost everything you've ever seen in an Alien movie, and then some. And for some reason, it has an extra ending that is just... sadly unforgiveable. I think that will kill the movie. Personally, I don't think fans will like this. Yes, the initial "can't-waiters" will come back all jacked up on their own adrenaline... but give it a week or two for the blow-back. I don't think any fan -- or even moderate sci-fi fan -- will like the end.

Alien: Overkill would have been a more accurate title.

Just watched an interview with Ridley Scott at the premiere where he gives a lot of credit to HR Giger, what an absolute gent!

Ah, the embargo is over...

I have to say, I enjoyed this movie for the first 40 minutes, I think. The familiar SOUNDS were the best form of callbacks. I was good with the kids for awhile. The effects were beautiful. Some of the rooms, creepy. And the ticking clock was new.

But once a familiar face made himself a central character, the movie started to go off the rails. Logic went out the window. And the "greatest hits" began. It became a video game. Lots of action, for sure. Lots of levels. And lots of "wait, how does that happen?". The central premise makes no sense. But it has almost everything you've ever seen in an Alien movie, and then some. And for some reason, it has an extra ending that is just... sadly unforgiveable. I think that will kill the movie. Personally, I don't think fans will like this. Yes, the initial "can't-waiters" will come back all jacked up on their own adrenaline... but give it a week or two for the blow-back. I don't think any fan -- or even moderate sci-fi fan -- will like the end.

Alien: Overkill would have been a more accurate title.
Yup same sentiments are starting to already come out, overkill.

Back