*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I wanted you to spoil it. I said explain with spoilers. Cause I kinda want to be spoiled . It’s one of those films where I don’t care.
It has unlikable characters (much like don’t breath). The main girl and her artificial human friend were fine. Everyone else either had no character or unlikable character.

The alien itself was just boring. I know it’s hard to make a creature that’s been in so many other films interesting but this film seemed to go out of its way to make you yawn.

It has stupid call back lines that is supposed to make you think “cool” but instead you role your eyes. “Get away from her…………,,., you *****” being the worst of them.

The worst F/X of a deceased actor’s likeness. Like Wor, this is when the film lost me. Just so dumb looking it took me right out of it.

Dodging zero gravity acid blood.

The sets were boring.

The story was boring.

Nothing cool or original. Just another Alien film that ends with a flush out the air shaft

1. A L I E N
2. ALIENS
3. ALIEN 3
4. Prometheus
5. Convenient
6. Resurection
7. AVP:R
8. AVP
9. Romulus

AVP was at least so bad that it makes me laugh and AVP:R has Wolf Predator

Ah, the embargo is over...

I have to say, I enjoyed this movie for the first 40 minutes, I think. The familiar SOUNDS were the best form of callbacks. I was good with the kids for awhile. The effects were beautiful. Some of the rooms, creepy. And the ticking clock was new.

But once a familiar face made himself a central character, the movie started to go off the rails. Logic went out the window. And the "greatest hits" began. It became a video game. Lots of action, for sure. Lots of levels. And lots of "wait, how does that happen?". The central premise makes no sense. But it has almost everything you've ever seen in an Alien movie, and then some. And for some reason, it has an extra ending that is just... sadly unforgiveable. I think that will kill the movie. Personally, I don't think fans will like this. Yes, the initial "can't-waiters" will come back all jacked up on their own adrenaline... but give it a week or two for the blow-back. I don't think any fan -- or even moderate sci-fi fan -- will like the end.

Alien: Overkill would have been a more accurate title.
Yep… Agree with everything accept I was just not liking the characters so even the first 40 min was So So

The more I think about it, the less I like the beginning. I think I was trying to like it. But in hindsight, it makes no sense at all, so it gets undermined by logic -- which isn't immediately apparent on a first viewing.

My thoughts: The absence of an alien queen producing the eggs was annoying, and takes away from Aliens mythos. "What's laying all these eggs?" Who cares Ripley, we've got a franchise to keep alive!. I don't care that their answer to this is "it's from the director's cut/deleted scenes" explaining how we got to face huggers "r" us with the retrieval of Big Chap. The queen is the established egg layer in the mythos in every sequel. Even the questionably entertaining AVP creature features. The Big Chap not being deceased takes away from the victory of the first film. Combining both the creatures/ plot devices from Resurrection and Prometheus for the ghastly baby engineer xenomorph was just over the top. Like little kids playing "mash up" in their sandbox or swimming pool. Rook (Ash) saying the same dang lines as in the 1979 film was idiotic member berry stuff. His exposition explaining finding the Big Chap, and the havoc it wreaked on the station would've been a better film than Romulus. So, yeah.....Solomon Grundy hate Romulus movie!

My thoughts: The absence of an alien queen producing the eggs was annoying, and takes away from Aliens mythos. "What's laying all these eggs?" Who cares Ripley, we've got a franchise to keep alive!. I don't care that their answer to this is "it's from the director's cut/deleted scenes" explaining how we got to face huggers "r" us with the retrieval of Big Chap. The queen is the established egg layer in the mythos in every sequel. Even the questionably entertaining AVP creature features. The Big Chap not being deceased takes away from the victory of the first film. Combining both the creatures/ plot devices from Resurrection and Prometheus for the ghastly baby engineer xenomorph was just over the top. Like little kids playing "mash up" in their sandbox or swimming pool. Rook (Ash) saying the same dang lines as in the 1979 film was idiotic member berry stuff. His exposition explaining finding the Big Chap, and the havoc it wreaked on the station would've been a better film than Romulus. So, yeah.....Solomon Grundy hate Romulus movie!
Boom! Couldn’t agree more with everything you said.

I just got done watch 5 different YouTube reviews . They all really liked it.

How have we seen the same film???

The absence of an alien queen producing the eggs was annoying, and takes away from Aliens mythos. "What's laying all these eggs?" The queen is the established egg layer in the mythos in every sequel.

Well now... it is established in the first film that the Alien can make eggs. He's turning Dallas and Brett into eggs (admittedly, deleted scene, but it was a pretty well-known edit by Alien fans between 1979-1986). That was the original life cycle... before Cameron got his hands on it.

Most Alien viewings I've seen on TV for years now include the deleted scenes.

Skimmed through Reddit and saw a certain pic of that new guy you guys are talking about. That thing looks ten times better than that crap ugly pile of mucus in resurrection . It looks horrifying but then again I saw only a pic
LINKME LINK ME LINK MEEEEEE

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Skimmed through Reddit and saw a certain pic of that new guy you guys are talking about. That thing looks ten times better than that crap ugly pile of mucus in resurrection . It looks horrifying but then again I saw only a pic
I actually prefer the Newborn from Resurrection, the design was better defined and the logic behind its existence made at least a shred of sense. This black goo is the laziest plot device in recent memory. Enough with Scott, his goo, and his engineers. The man ruined his prequels and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in the inclusion of the engineer nonsense here. And that's what frustrates me the most: the fact that the odor of his incompetent prequels still lingers... and now that the goo has been involved in three movies, it may well become a permanent part of the franchise. Ugh.

Helluva way to start a review, but here we go.

Loved the look of the movie. Cinematography was great.

I honestly enjoyed everything until Rain decided to go back for Andy. That decision felt a bit questionable because, while I understand her bond with him, she had no way of knowing that simply removing the Weyland chip would return him to normal, especially after it already ran its upgrade. Having that said, the acid trip that followed was creative.

Andy was excellent. Favorite character in the film, well-conceived and even better performed.

The sequence where the group snuck past the facehuggers and the other girl's noises over comm alerted them was by far my favorite part of the movie. Great, novel way to create tension using old ingredients.

I didn't mind Ash's return. Worked for me.

It could've been a solid 7/10... without the engineer hybrid... and without the constant quotes from the previous films. Alvarez and Scott had a good thing going for most of the runtime, but their pathological need to reference and repeat previous plot beats only created more opportunities to sabotage themselves. They made it through most of them without doing so until the end.

Had they ditched the second ending (a franchise staple, but c'mon, it's been fifty years - we don't have to do it every time), we wouldn't have seen that hybrid abomination and the film could've ended on a solid albeit derivative note. And they still could've had the satisfaction of involving the goo in a small way, simply by using it as Ash's prize.

So yeah. Not sure what rating I'll give it. It was mostly good. Couple parts great. But that ending... I really thought we were done with that silliness. Scott's ideas for Alien in the 21st century are like cinematic whack-a-mole: they keep popping up. Dude needs to give it a rest.

Having that said, it's definitely not the worst in the franchise. Prior to the ending, I can't say I saw anything a longtime fan would have a problem with. And hey, it doesn't invalidate or retcon the Ripley trilogy (yeah, I said it).

Last edited:
THANK YOU AND
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT WTF
Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent

I agree 100%. I was on the fence whether to see this in the theater or not, but now that there's definitive evidence of actual "visual risktaking" and inclusion/expansion of the Engineer mythology, I'm gonna give it a shot...

I don't like to rain on parades but absolutely do not pay theater price for the amount of Engineer lore/expansion in this movie. This is primarily a greatest hits/cover album. The visual risktaking amounts to a skinny Newborn and face huggers in sandwich bags.

Back