*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The positive feedback for this film from fans and critics is as baffling to me as the positive feedback TFA received upon its release.

I will say that Alien Romulus is better than TFA.

Woopiefuckingdoo

:lol
I think part of that comes the worry they will completely mess it up. They both weren't total poo shows so people rejoice.

I just finished seeing Romulus earlier in the evening at the Regal Cinema in Union Square. Have to say, I went in with low expectations, but came out satisfied after seeing the movie. The cinematography, sound quality and monster designs were fantastic.

I thought it was good that the characters had backstories, and that there was actual world-building attempted in showing a Weyland-Yutani colony. That said, I didn't care too much for the side-characters, but Rain and Andy complimented each other well; there was good character growth between the two in the short time they were featured. Andy seemed oddly conflicted about his programming at times, which may imply that there was either some self-awareness involved in his decision-making, or his constant reprogramming had left some deleterious effect on his psyche. His presence in the story also prevented Rain from becoming a typical "Mary Sue" character - which has been the recent flavor of movies in the past decade.

Rain seemed to have been a character clone of Ripley (in terms of what she does in the film, and not her personality). Although, that may have been a good, safe thing to do for the story, since attempts to introduce a stronger female lead into the Alien-verse, would've been insulting to Ripley's legacy. And although the actress did an okay job with the role, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in seeing her in another movie.

The horror aspects of the film were handled well, in my opinion. There's a scene where an Alien was being "birthed" from a cocoon - which was implied to be its final stage of growth. I thought that it was a fairly good addition to the franchise, because we've never actually seen the transition of a chestbuster to a fully grown "adult". There was a also certain appropriateness of seeing the Alien's phallic-shaped head force its way out of the detached, utero-cocoon, as its hands tore free and crackled into shape. There's just something disgusting and vile about that imagery that suits the Xenomorph's physiology and behvior quite well.

As for the "Slendermorph" - I didn't find it terrifying by itself from the leaked footage. But, once I saw its origins - black goo that mutated Kay's unborn baby, it completely changed my perspective on it. That thing was the stuff of nightmares (especially it's creepy tendency to smile as it stares down at its victims - akin to a newborn infant, looking merily at a toy it wants to play with). I thought it was definitely handled better than the Alien-hybrid from Resurrection.

Anyways, that's it for now. I'd give the movie a 7/10. It's definitely third place for me in ranking of the Alien films - with Alien and Aliens being the top two. I believe that Romulus did what it needed to do, in order to reintroduce this franchise after several disappointing entries (even if that meant rehasing the "greatest hits" of Aliens). It didn't disappoint.
I agree with the majority of what you said.

The context of the Slendermorph is lost just by seeing pics and YouTube clips.

I just finished seeing Romulus earlier in the evening at the Regal Cinema in Union Square. Have to say, I went in with low expectations, but came out satisfied after seeing the movie. The cinematography, sound quality and monster designs were fantastic.

I thought it was good that the characters had backstories, and that there was actual world-building attempted in showing a Weyland-Yutani colony. That said, I didn't care too much for the side-characters, but Rain and Andy complimented each other well; there was good character growth between the two in the short time they were featured. Andy seemed oddly conflicted about his programming at times, which may imply that there was either some self-awareness involved in his decision-making, or his constant reprogramming had left some deleterious effect on his psyche. His presence in the story also prevented Rain from becoming a typical "Mary Sue" character - which has been the recent flavor of movies in the past decade.

Rain seemed to have been a character clone of Ripley (in terms of what she does in the film, and not her personality). Although, that may have been a good, safe thing to do for the story, since attempts to introduce a stronger female lead into the Alien-verse, would've been insulting to Ripley's legacy. And although the actress did an okay job with the role, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in seeing her in another movie.

The horror aspects of the film were handled well, in my opinion. There's a scene where an Alien was being "birthed" from a cocoon - which was implied to be its final stage of growth. I thought that it was a fairly good addition to the franchise, because we've never actually seen the transition of a chestbuster to a fully grown "adult". There was a also certain appropriateness of seeing the Alien's phallic-shaped head force its way out of the detached, utero-cocoon, as its hands tore free and crackled into shape. There's just something disgusting and vile about that imagery that suits the Xenomorph's physiology and behvior quite well.

As for the "Slendermorph" - I didn't find it terrifying by itself from the leaked footage. But, once I saw its origins - black goo that mutated Kay's unborn baby, it completely changed my perspective on it. That thing was the stuff of nightmares (especially it's creepy tendency to smile as it stares down at its victims - akin to a newborn infant, looking merily at a toy it wants to play with). I thought it was definitely handled better than the Alien-hybrid from Resurrection.

Anyways, that's it for now. I'd give the movie a 7/10. It's definitely third place for me in ranking of the Alien films - with Alien and Aliens being the top two. I believe that Romulus did what it needed to do, in order to reintroduce this franchise after several disappointing entries (even if that meant rehasing the "greatest hits" of Aliens). It didn't disappoint.
Very good review.

With the black goo they can technically join the MCU and have that be Venom.
Disney plans on making all there properties connect. A sort of crazy hybrid abomination if you will.

Well I mean it could turn out like kingdom hearts but then it will be hard to understand

My expectations were pretty low going in, and it didn't disappoint.

Visually it looks stunning, but the laughable plot, dull characters and rehashing of the same ideas used from the original ALIEN movie makes it another forgettable entry in the franchise. And there's still MORE to come! Christ!:horror

Saying that, if it's your first time seeing an ALIEN movie you'll probably love it.

This is a tough series to rank because after the first two, they are all problematic in one way or another and it’s hard to balance the good stuff in them from the c#%p. I hate both the AvP and would never include them anyway.

1. Alien - nothing more needs to be said
2. Aliens - easily the best crowd pleasing popcorn eating entry in the series and possibly of all time. But it lacks the cinematic style of the first one.
3. Prometheus - interesting ideas, visually stunning but also unbelievably pretentious and stupid in equal parts and unforgivable that it pretends to not be what it is until the very end.
4. Alien 3 - I really hated this initially. Negates the ending of Aliens, bleak and tough watch. But I’ve come to appreciate the absolute balls of it. And that ending.
5. Alien: Romulus - a highly competent film that is ruined by bringing back Ian Holm and insisting on constantly quoting the first two films.
6. Alien: Covenant - I really don’t remember a thing about this one except the fact I’m pretty sure I thought to myself I’m never watching this again.
7. Alien: Resurrection - there was a time I actually liked this one except the truly awful ending. At some point I came to my senses.

I would add that Alien: Isolation would be number 3 if i could include a video game in a film ranking.

Last edited:
This is a tough series to rank because after the first two, they are all problematic in one way or another and it’s hard to balance the good stuff in them from the c#%p. I hate both the AvP and would never include them anyway.

2. Aliens - easily the best crowd pleasing popcorn eating entry in the series and possibly of all time. But it lacks the cinematic style of the first one.
3. Prometheus - interesting ideas, visually stunning but also unbelievably pretentious and stupid in equal parts and unforgivable that it pretends to not be what it is until the very end.
4. Alien: Romulus - a highly competent film that is ruined by bringing back Ian Holm and insisting on constantly quoting the first two films.
5. Alien: Covenant - I really don’t remember a thing about this one except the fact I’m pretty sure I thought to myself I’m never watching this again.
6. Alien: Resurrection - there was a time I actually liked this one except the truly awful ending. At some point I came to my senses.

I would add that Alien: Isolation would be number 3 if i could include a video game in a film ranking.
I appreciate Alien3 not making the cut but I'm guessing you forgot it?

Isolation is incredible. WOuld love to play it in VR

Alien (perfect)

Aliens (very entertaining)

Prometheus (absolutely terrible writing but beautiful to watch)

Alien 3 (solid movie with reasonable expansion of xeno lore)

AvP (I actually like this one. It was an honest effort and took chances with new setting)

Alien Resurrection (kinda charming, visually very distinct)

Covenant (forgettable)

AvP R (poor choices all around. Not a good movie)

Romulus: not seen yet, expectation is number 3 or 4 spot.

Last edited:

4. Alien 3 - I really hated this initially. Negates the ending of Aliens, bleak and tough watch. But I’ve come to appreciate the absolute balls of it. And that ending.
5. Alien: Romulus - a highly competent film that is ruined by bringing back Ian Holm and insisting on constantly quoting the first two films.
6. Alien: Covenant - I really don’t remember a thing about this one except the fact I’m pretty sure I thought to myself I’m never watching this again.
7. Alien: Resurrection - there was a time I actually liked this one except the truly awful ending. At some point I came to my senses.

:lol :lol :lol

Hmm...

The Canon
1. Aliens - the perfect movie experience
2. Alien - a work of art, but I have a couple of very minor gripes regarding sound and editing, plus I prefer something a bit more character-driven
3. Alien 3 (assembly cut) - mediocre script, but the production design, atmosphere & music are phenomenal and I appreciate the ending to Ripley's saga

The Good for Merchandise
4. Resurrection - competent, ballsy and fun, but wholly unnecessary and invalidates Ripley's sacrifice
5. AVP - fun and somewhat competent
6. Romulus - a better film than AVP, but the constant callback quotes and Ridleyverse references taint it

The Expendable
7. Prometheus - beautiful to look at, but weak script and characters
8. Covenant - slightly better characters than Prometheus, but the script sabotages both it and its predecessor (Fassbender's excellent turn as David, while easily the best part of these films, can't hope to compensate for that)

The Insult
9. AVP: Requiem - one wonders how a film inspired by the likes of Ridley Scott and James Cameron could have aimed so painfully low; a mindless, juvenile slasher flick that completely misunderstands the appeal of the previous films and the genres they occupy

Looking at these, I think I evaluate the franchises based on how ambition intersects with competence. The first tier has both, with Alien 3 admittedly shakier.

The second tier can be described as movies that do well enough for what they are. They don't aim too high, but they're still mid-budget sci-fi blockbusters and play the part reasonably well with some expected caveats.

The tier containing the prequels is more of a problem because those films so obviously shoot for the stars. Bigger budgets, great casts, weighty philosophical themes, and production design that harkens back to the sci-fi epics of old... yet they make such basic, clumsy mistakes. Watching them is an awkward and dissonant experience.

Requiem commits the worst sin of all: aiming low because of the mistaken belief that all it takes to make a good Alien movie is gore and an R-rating.

Last edited:
Back