*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was up with the beginning though? She’s sitting somewhere, looking out over the horizon then the movie starts out like she’s remembering her past or something. I found it a bit strange especially considering the end of the movie. Where does the very beginning fit?
The was dreaming of the sun, that's her whole motivation for getting off that planet and agreeing to go steal those cryo pods. The planet she's on is permanently night time.

The more interviews I watch with Fede, the more I like him. He really loves the mythology and treated it with respect.

Plus, it's nice to see someone who co-wrote it too. I think he, Paul WS Anderson and Cameron are the only directors who wrote their films. I think old man Ridders had a hand in the story for his prequels.

The more interviews I watch with Fede, the more I like him. He really loves the mythology and treated it with respect.

Plus, it's nice to see someone who co-wrote it too. I think he, Paul WS Anderson and Cameron are the only directors who wrote their films. I think old man Ridders had a hand in the story for his prequels.
Agree, that's what I thought watching the film; even with all the rehash the showrunners had a lot of respect; which combined with what looks like a pretty lavish production with originality and IMO likeable leads, made this a lot of actual fun to watch.

As opposed to Covenant where I was mildly irritated 'coz I thought it was stupid rehash trying too hard, and no character at all I cared about. Plus that whole flute playing stuff, and "spores" and goo. I think Critical Drinker asked why that one was even made. The stupidity of a few characters was mind blowing. :hammerhead:

I do wish he hadn't included the "get away from her you *****" line because watching them chronologically means Ripley will now say it second and that was just too big of a moment for her to make it a chronological rehash IMO.

I wonder if Romulus 2 will show all the havoc caused when a team locates the Queen floating in deep space, lol.

I do wish he hadn't included the "get away from her you *****" line because watching them chronologically means Ripley will now say it second and that was just too big of a moment for her to make it a chronological rehash IMO.

Exactly. That just compounds the stupidity of using that line in this film.

I wonder if Romulus 2 will show all the havoc caused when a team locates the Queen floating in deep space, lol.

That occurred to me aswell....and other people - I saw a facebook meme on that very matter.

Talking of contrivances though - would you not consider that a bit of one? That they managed to find the Big Chap floating in space? Surely the odds were well stacked against that happening. And that it was still alive, what, 20 years on? And like Critical Drinker asked in his review - how did any part of the Nostromo survive that multi-phase gigantic explosion at the end of the original film? It looked like the ship and the refinery should have been completely vaporized.

Talking of contrivances though - would you not consider that a bit of one? That they managed to find the Big Chap floating in space?
Since it took them 20 years I'm fine with it. Same with the odds of Ripley herself being found (which has never bothered me in ALIENS.)
Surely the odds were well stacked against that happening. And that it was still alive, what, 20 years on? And like Critical Drinker asked in his review - how did any part of the Nostromo survive that multi-phase gigantic explosion at the end of the original film? It looked like the ship and the refinery should have been completely vaporized.
You know in 45 years I've never considered that the original xeno should have been vaporized. I guess I always assumed that we were to believe that it was blown clear enough away from the Nostromo blast and was always just out there somewhere. Maybe illogical, but since it has always been my mindset I certainly don't hold it against Romulus.

I did consider the odds of the station drifting past Rain's planet to be "contrived" but then I figured well it's bound to drift through SOME system and whichever unlucky one it is, is the one they make a movie about, lol.

Someone uploaded the slendermorph scene to YouTube. My god I thought it looked funny in a picture, it's 100x funnier in motion.
It's such a generic looking monster. Looks like every "scary smiley faced monster" in horror movies for the last decade. The sort of thing that you'd see in a Blumhouse movie.
It's just not at all scary.
Seriously, the Newborn in Resurrection looked better. Sure it was silly but not quite as funny as this slendermorph thing.

Is it true that that basketball player kid actually played him? I saw a tik tok that said it was played by a 7 ft tall basket ball player kid but I saw no source.

Wait a second...the Nostromo blew up first and then when Ripley thought she was safe she discovered the xeno in the escape shuttle with her. Was Critical Drinker saying otherwise?

No I think he was just surprised that anything of the Nostromo itself survived such a massive explosion - he thought there should not have been anything left yet apparently there was wreckage (even with the name visible) shown in this movie?

Yes the shuttle with the Alien onboard got clear of the explosion. I don't think Drinker had any confusion there, still though, for the Alien to be found and found alive - arguably a contrivance just so a new movie could happen.

No I think he was just surprised that anything of the Nostromo itself survived such a massive explosion - he thought there should not have been anything left yet apparently there was wreckage (even with the name visible) shown in this movie?
Oh okay. You know given the limitations of visual effects at the time, the explosion was so abstract and shown from so far away I'm not bothered by some artistic license regarding the end result. We did see the explosion happen in waves so maybe some significant debris was blown clear.
Yes the shuttle with the Alien onboard got clear of the explosion. I don't think Drinker had any confusion there, still though, for the Alien to be found and found alive - arguably a contrivance just so a new movie could happen.
You could make that argument but again since Ripley being found never bothered me I don't fault the storytelling for the xeno eventually being located as well.

There's a difference between an event being highly unlikely versus something that seems to have no in-universe reason for occurring beyond advancing the plot.

Oh okay. You know given the limitations of visual effects at the time, the explosion was so abstract and shown from so far away I'm not bothered by some artistic license regarding the end result. We did see the explosion happen in waves so maybe some significant debris was blown clear.

You could make that argument but again since Ripley being found never bothered me I don't fault the storytelling for the xeno eventually being located as well.

There's a difference between an event being highly unlikely versus something that seems to have no in-universe reason for occurring beyond advancing the plot.
Whomever came up with IMPOSSIBLE and IMPROBABLE should be given a bronze statue lol

Do you remember the Death Star wreckage in TROS?

Do you remember the Death Star wreckage in TROS?
If Ash had been THE Ash from the original movie then yeah I would have had a problem with that. :lol

1724279685935.png

Not sure if this was posted yet:

Enjoyable interview. Fede Alvarez's fandom definitely comes through and he's clearly more thoughtful and imaginative than, say, the brothers who directed AVP-R (which I'm only mentioning because they also came to their project as fans making the kind of movie they wanted to see... but their understanding of what makes the franchise work was juvenile, as was the resulting film).

The Alien also survived the Narcissus' engine blast. It held on for a while before letting go and wasn't even vaporized, the force of the blast simply launched it away from the ship.

EDIT: Just realized the point above has already been discussed. It's a long thread, dammit!

Last edited:
Back