*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how animatronics weren't used for it (or, lightly used just for the tail?). Just a guy in a suit, like Big Chap. Made it all the more creepy.

I love how animatronics weren't used for it (or, lightly used just for the tail?). Just a guy in a suit, like Big Chap. Made it all the more creepy.
I also loved how her safety line getting caught on the final lever is the only reason she was able to cut him loose. They resisted the urge to have Rain discover her inner "power" and just had her survive due to a lucky fluke.

I'm not really sure if a comparison between Dutch's team and the Colonial Marines would really make sense, since one operates on 1980s Earth while the other is space faring in the far distant future. I figure that the Colonial Marines would probably have things like cybernetic augmentation or other Weyland-Yutani bio-tech to make them more versatile in a hostile environments - especially for colonies in locations that haven't been adequately terra-formed (like the Colony in Romulus).

Although, the above post raises some fantastic points too.
Colonial Marines vs Predator it is then!

Okay I love the Offspring now, lol.

“[Disney] did [push back] at the beginning [with regard to the Offspring], but not because they didn’t like it. They just thought, ‘Is it too much? Do we really have to go there?’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, now that you said that we shouldn’t, I know that I will,’” Álvarez reveals. “If you’re given an Alien movie by a corporation that is owned by Disney and they immediately say, ‘Yeah, let’s make it,’ then you are failing somehow. So we really pushed it to the limit, and I’m glad we did.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...lus-ending-offspring-fede-alvarez-1235978411/

Because you see it as a middle finger to Disney?

alien-romulus 2.jpg

5. Alien: Romulus - a highly competent film that is ruined by bringing back [......] and insisting on constantly quoting the first two films.

You have to kiss the ring to get a public endorsement from a legacy figure in a franchise.

For example, if George Lucas says he wants this or that or something else in some prospective Star Wars TV show or film, the Big Mouse can mostly ignore him, but not completely ignore them. They have to throw him a bone in order to sate his ego so he can be part of the marketing roll out. You don't want a situation where someone like Scott or Lucas denounces a new project, essentially without them, in public. Or leans that way.

From Alvarez's perspective, this is good business for him, to sweep in as much from the other films as possible into his film. It sets up a foothold to take over canon from Ridley Scott, even if Scott would oppose that privately. As long as you are generating critical buzz and raking in the big dollars, there's not much anyone can do to stop you. Scott put himself in this position by having two films ( Prometheus and Covenant) which were incredibly vague/incomplete/inconsistent with his own lore.

This is a feature, not a bug. But it's a point of concern regarding The Big Mouse. That too many films become logistical set ups for the next installment over taking care of it's success first. Age of Ultron is the classic case of this problem. It had to do 9-10 different things for a future Phase, that there was no breathing room to really make a film that could stand completely on it's own.

Something to never forget is Disney is functionally an energy drink company. The goal is content, not actual films. If an actual film gets made, a quality one, that's probably an accident.

It's strange, in a sense - that Alvarez used Scott's work as a basis for Romulus, and created something that was more successful. I think the guy must've had a very magnanimous personality or a good sale's pitch in order to get through to Disney the way he did. And with Romulus' success at the box office, Disney is definitely going to increase their Alien-based content.

Disney is definitely going to increase their Alien-based content.
Sadly, yes.

My son and I just watched the Alien 3 Assembly Cut last night, which was his first time seeing the film at all. He said he really enjoyed it despite the downer of all the survivors of ALIENS dying. He then said "at least Ripley got to end in a good movie so that they couldn't ruin her character," to which I stifled an audible laugh. He was utterly confused and was all "what? does another movie say that she survived the furnace???" "Well not exactly..." And then I filled him in on the basic premise A:Res, lol.

But with the original trilogy and A:Rom we now have four really solid films. I think if I ever have the inclination to binge all four films I'll just do the Ripley trilogy and then A:Rom. That way it prevents the series from ending on a downer and doesn't preemptively diminish Ripley's "get away from her" line.

I'm sure Disney will make more due to Rom's success and will probably do their best to screw things up "Acolyte" style but at least Rom had a definitive ending so it will be easy to separate from whatever comes next.

Sadly, yes.

My son and I just watched the Alien 3 Assembly Cut last night, which was his first time seeing the film at all. He said he really enjoyed it despite the downer of all the survivors of ALIENS dying. He then said "at least Ripley got to end in a good movie so that they couldn't ruin her character," to which I stifled an audible laugh. He was utterly confused and was all "what? does another movie say that she survived the furnace???" "Well not exactly..." And then I filled him in on the basic premise A:Res, lol.

But with the original trilogy and A:Rom we now have four really solid films. I think if I ever have the inclination to binge all four films I'll just do the Ripley trilogy and then A:Rom. That way it prevents the series from ending on a downer and doesn't preemptively diminish Ripley's "get away from her" line.

I'm sure Disney will make more due to Rom's success and will probably do their best to screw things up "Acolyte" style but at least Rom had a definitive ending so it will be easy to separate from whatever comes next.
A line in the newer movie would dictate the order you watch them?

A line in the newer movie would dictate the order you watch them?
Possibly. Not that I see myself testing a proper four film binge order anytime soon, if at all. I tend not to spend the energy to be that deliberate with multiple films (especially four or more) these days any more. The line in question didn't even bug me when I watched A:Rom because I didn't make out the first part of what he said over the sound of the gunfire.

You have to kiss the ring to get a public endorsement from a legacy figure in a franchise.

For example, if George Lucas says he wants this or that or something else in some prospective Star Wars TV show or film, the Big Mouse can mostly ignore him, but not completely ignore them. They have to throw him a bone in order to sate his ego so he can be part of the marketing roll out. You don't want a situation where someone like Scott or Lucas denounces a new project, essentially without them, in public. Or leans that way.

From Alvarez's perspective, this is good business for him, to sweep in as much from the other films as possible into his film. It sets up a foothold to take over canon from Ridley Scott, even if Scott would oppose that privately. As long as you are generating critical buzz and raking in the big dollars, there's not much anyone can do to stop you. Scott put himself in this position by having two films ( Prometheus and Covenant) which were incredibly vague/incomplete/inconsistent with his own lore.

This is a feature, not a bug. But it's a point of concern regarding The Big Mouse. That too many films become logistical set ups for the next installment over taking care of it's success first. Age of Ultron is the classic case of this problem. It had to do 9-10 different things for a future Phase, that there was no breathing room to really make a film that could stand completely on it's own.

Something to never forget is Disney is functionally an energy drink company. The goal is content, not actual films. If an actual film gets made, a quality one, that's probably an accident.
I don’t care about any of that, I just want a good film and when the referencing happened it was some of the worst referencing I’d ever seen and as my kids would say “that was cringe”.

Because you see it as a middle finger to Disney?

View attachment 722106
Idk what disneys issue is. They made stuff more terrifying than this. They come across as a happy go lucky friendly family thing but there animated movies can be trauma inducing.
Atleast early Disney and renaissance disney. They use to kill parents and villains without a second thought.
Remember Clayton from Tarzan and syndrome from incredible’s yea that was some messed up stuff 😂.

Literally hung a kid in the third pirates movie

Idk what disneys issue is. They made stuff more terrifying than this. They come across as a happy go lucky friendly family thing but there animated movies can be trauma inducing.
Atleast early Disney and renaissance disney. They use to kill parents and villains without a second thought.
Remember Clayton from Tarzan and syndrome from incredible’s yea that was some messed up stuff 😂.

Literally hung a kid in the third pirates movie
All of that was before Iger. The current company bares almost no resemblance to what it once was.

All of that was before Iger. The current company bares almost no resemblance to what it once was.
Actually Iger was CEO for Pirates 3. But the rest he wasn't

If you go back to the late 70s and 80s Disney was making a lot of stuff that was not kid friendly or had trauma inducing scenes. Return to Oz, The Black Hole, The Black Cauldron, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Watcher in the Woods, Mr Boogedy. All of these were pretty far from what people were used to from Disney, and they all pretty much were disappointments, it wasn't till years later that some of these have become cult favorites.

Disney does experiment moving out of their box sometimes, unfortunately most of the time it doesn't do well so they retreat back to what people do like and expect from them.

Back