*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LV426 subreddit is having a blast with the Japanese premier :lol

Jap1.jpeg

Jap2.png

Jap3.jpeg

Jap8.jpeg

Jap7.jpeg

Here's a video of the event (the auto-translate works surprisingly well):

I also found this interesting:

"Based on Giger’s designs for Alien, the Xenomorph costume was originally intended to be transparent. However, effects artists in 1978 were dealing with extremely limited resources, especially compared with what’s available today, and a proper see-through silicone rubber material that wouldn’t tear with movement simply didn’t exist back then. Giger and director Scott settled for a darker, stiffer mask latex instead, and had suit performer Bolaji Badejo stick to the shadows to better hide his rigidity. In Aliens, Cameron battled this problem by opting out of a full Xenomorph suit, and instead having his performers wear leotards with pieces of the suit attached to them, allowing for more mobility. In Romulus, not only did Mahan know how to capitalize upon Giger’s original idea, but also knew ahead of time, based on working with Cameron on the sequel, how to build the suit better and faster."

More production shots and behind the scenes info can be found here:
LA Weekly: Building Nightmares: Shane Mahan Gives a Behind-the-Scenes Dive Into the Special Effects of ‘Alien: Romulus’

That said, I also came across a figure of the concept model of Big Chap over at BBTS. Imagine this in 1/6 scale :drool
Alien One:12 Xenomorph Concept Edition Exclusive Figure

1725703096103.jpeg

1725703185171.jpeg

Attachments

• 1725703068637.jpeg
    1725703068637.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
I also found this interesting:

"Based on Giger’s designs for Alien, the Xenomorph costume was originally intended to be transparent. However, effects artists in 1978 were dealing with extremely limited resources, especially compared with what’s available today, and a proper see-through silicone rubber material that wouldn’t tear with movement simply didn’t exist back then. Giger and director Scott settled for a darker, stiffer mask latex instead, and had suit performer Bolaji Badejo stick to the shadows to better hide his rigidity. In Aliens, Cameron battled this problem by opting out of a full Xenomorph suit, and instead having his performers wear leotards with pieces of the suit attached to them, allowing for more mobility. In Romulus, not only did Mahan know how to capitalize upon Giger’s original idea, but also knew ahead of time, based on working with Cameron on the sequel, how to build the suit better and faster."

More production shots and behind the scenes info can be found here:
LA Weekly: Building Nightmares: Shane Mahan Gives a Behind-the-Scenes Dive Into the Special Effects of ‘Alien: Romulus’

That said, I also came across a figure of the concept model of Big Chap over at BBTS. Imagine this in 1/6 scale :drool
Alien One:12 Xenomorph Concept Edition Exclusive Figure

View attachment 724402

View attachment 724403
Yeah ... that would have matched the translucency and depth of Giger's paintings, while pushing that unsettling biological angle.

Dragged my brother too accompany me for a second viewing.
We didn't have time to discuss it much afterwards, but I could tell he wasn't all that impressed. He enjoyed it and said it was "entertaining".
As for me, I liked it better the second time around. All the little callbacks still annoy me, especially the "get away from her" bit. Andy and Rain's relationship is still what carries the movie, and that's good, because you really care for those two.
So yeah, I might even buy this if and when it comes out.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure after my first viewing too, but the second viewing really cemented that it’s a very well made, entertaining and enjoyable entry in the series.
Can’t wait to get on 4k.

Second highest box office in the series (unadjusted for inflation obviously.)

Not bad for an $80 million movie that was originally planned to go straight to streaming.

Global numbers:

Alien (1979)
$184.7 million

Aliens (1986)

$183.3 million

Alien 3 (1992)

$159.8 million

Alien Resurrection (1997)

$161.4 million

Alien vs. Predator (2004)

$177.4 million

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

$130.3 million

Prometheus (2012)

$403.3 million

Alien: Covenant (2017)

$240.9 million

Alien: Romulus (2024)

$314.4 million (and counting)

Not bad for an $80 million movie that was originally planned to go straight to streaming.

Global numbers:

Alien (1979)
$184.7 million

Aliens (1986)

$183.3 million

Alien 3 (1992)

$159.8 million

$161.4 million

$177.4 million

$130.3 million

Prometheus (2012)

$403.3 million

$240.9 million

Nice. Wonder what the list looks like wjen adjusted for inflation..

Global numbers:

Alien (1979)
$184.7 million

Aliens (1986)

$183.3 million

Alien 3 (1992)

$159.8 million

$161.4 million

$177.4 million

$130.3 million

Prometheus (2012)

$403.3 million

$240.9 million

How much does it need to make to break even or profit?
If it was indeed made on 80mil, it ought to have at least broken even I think.
80mil plus marketing which is about half the budget right? So 120mil.
Then theatres take something like half all tickets for the first weeks right?
So of the 314.4 mil, half that goes to theatres, that gives the movie 157.2mil, so potentially they're in 37.2mil profit.
That about right?

Back