Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both formats and a decent set-up. I'm also pretty picky when it comes to HT.

My current verdict is that HD DVD offers slightly (and sometimes vastly) superior visuals while Blu-Ray usually pushes slightly better audio mixes through.

So, technically they're a toss-up. I know that Blu-Ray discs hold up to 50 GB of data while current HD DVDs hold "only" 30 GB, but Blu-Ray has not shown they can utilize that extra storage economically. Also, HD DVD is about to unveil a 45-50 GB disc of their own. Even with 30 GB, HD DVD already destroys Blu-Ray in the Special Features department.

Couple all that with the cheaper prices per average disc and my early favorite of the two formats is HD DVD.

That may change, though. Sony & Company really need to pick it up, however. They're still leading in sales, but HD DVD has the momentum (and may even have the edge when it comes to the format on the whole).

In fact, I'd say that Microsoft's decision not to include HD DVD built-in to the Xbox 360 is the sole reason why HD DVD isn't pulling away with this thing at the moment.

On Black Friday (11/23) Sears will be selling the Toshia A3 HD DVD player for, get this... $169.99. Even better: it will come with both 300 and The Bourne Identity (plus, you'd also be eligible for the 5 Free HD DVD mail-away offer)! :google

Heck, even though I already have a player this might be too good to pass up and I might grab it as a Christmas gift or something :rock

On Black Friday (11/23) Sears will be selling the Toshia A3 HD DVD player for, get this... $169.99. Even better: it will come with both 300 and The Bourne Identity (plus, you'd also be eligible for the 5 Free HD DVD mail-away offer)! :google

Heck, even though I already have a player this might be too good to pass up and I might grab it as a Christmas gift or something :rock

Wow, sweet deal! I wish it were a BR player though since I already have 2 HD DVD players and only 1 BR. I still need another BR player for my basement.

WOW!

$100 and 5 free movies???!?!

EVERYONE should own an HD-DVD player now.

WOW!

$100 and 5 free movies???!?!

EVERYONE should own an HD-DVD player now.

I agree, you can't get a better deal than that!

I already have an A2 and I might even buy an extra player even though I don't currently need one at that price. I am going to tell my friends to jump all over it if they are even remotely interested.

Is the A2 a 1080P player or just 1080i?

edit - just found it. Looks like it's just 1080i. Still not a bad price if you have a 1080i/720p TV.

Comparisons were done between 1080i and 1080p players and there were almost no differences you know.

Comparisons were done between 1080i and 1080p players and there were almost no differences you know.

Well, I have a 1080i player ( Xbox 360 HD drive ) and had the dual format LG player that would only go to 1080i on my 60mhz TV until I took it back. It looked great, but I still think my 1080p players look a little better on the same 1080p TV.

After reading all the comments yesterday about Spider-Man 1, I watched it last night and my brother and I both agreed it looks great. We watched it on my tv a 40" Sony 1080p and it looked awesome and then we tried it on his a 47" Sony 1080p and it looked beautiful as well. I don't understand how you guys can say this is a 'terrible' transfer, when it clearly isn't.

True, there isn't any special features for 1 or 2, but I could care less, most times I never get around to watching them, I just don't have that kind of time any more.

There are tons of people watching on screens that support 720p/1080i and not 1080p. Toshiba is smart for offering less expensive players that match the resolution of the display they will be connected to. If people don't have a 1080p set then they shouldn't have to pay more for a player that outputs a non-supported resolution. I think it's a good selling point--would customers rather hear, "You should have purchased a 1080p set" or "Even if you don't happen to have a 1080p set, we still have an HD player for you." Some people are less concerned about future proofing and more concerned about having a player that works with the expensive TV they purchased in the last year or two. The big chains are going to be selling the Toshiba entry level 1080i HD DVD players this week for $99 and I think they will sell well.

The big chains are going to be selling the Toshiba entry level 1080i HD DVD players this week for $99 and I think they will sell well.

absolutely!!! for $100 you get an HD player and 5 free movies??? how can you say no?? even really cheap people will be buying these because they can get five movies for free. the HDA3 or whatever the newest model is called is more up to spec for the diehard tech fans.

I just shake my head when I read TheDigitalsbits' response to Toshiba's price drop. They call it a sign that Toshiba's gone desperate, and Toshiba's only trump card. In response, Sony is touting their 40GB PS3 player as the one that will go head-to-head . . .albeit a a higher price. It's just funny how news like this can be construed as Toshiba being a sinking ship.

The way I see it, the sooner people adopt to HD viewing, the better! I can't wait to snag the HD-A3 when it comes out from Sears come Black Friday. And that'll be my 3rd HD-DVD player!

1080p is Full HD, 1080i isn't. Simple as that.

From what I've seen, the only difference between the two is 1080p transfer fills the image-buffer line-after-line while a 1080i transfer fills the odd lines then the even lines. The image will show the same in either.

I just shake my head when I read TheDigitalsbits' response to Toshiba's price drop. They call it a sign that Toshiba's gone desperate, and Toshiba's only trump card. In response, Sony is touting their 40GB PS3 player as the one that will go head-to-head . . .albeit a a higher price. It's just funny how news like this can be construed as Toshiba being a sinking ship.

People are waiting till they can aford to buy HD. Looks to me like Toshiba is giving it to them, and will have a huge head start.

i think this could definitely hurt blu ray. with Shrek and Transformers HD DVD exclusives many parents will find the $100 player an easy purchase for Xmas.

Back