Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's with this infatuation with Backwards Compatibility?? I want the PS3 for current and future technology, not the old stuff. Plus, if I need to play a PS2 game I still have my PS2. The 40B, non BC version is the best buy, imho.

Some people never got a PS2 and so they missed out on some games, plus the PS2 is still getting new games.And right now it's more expensive to buy a 40GB PS3 and then buy a PS2 for those games than it is to buy an 80GB PS3 that can still play the PS2 games.

And for me, one of the reasons I got an Xbox 360 was because I never had the original Xbox and missed some of those games so it was nice that it had lots of backwards compatibility with regular Xbox games.

And besides, when the PS3 first came out Sony said that backwards compatibility was an important part of the console and now they've changed their mind saying that it's not important so Sony is too messed up.

Warner is rumored to go Blu-Ray exclusive. Not HD DVD.

Second, Toshiba is kinda shooting themselves is the foot. By selling this player for $99, they are hurting potential sales for their 1080P player. Alot of people who probably buy the $99 player don't even know the difference between 1080i, 1080p and 720P. They just see "HD" and think it has all the bases covered.

This whole thing reminds me of Sega and its Dreamcast and the Turbografx 16, where the systems were basically being given away. It prolonged it a little bit. But, in the end both systems suffered the same fate.

It may sound like I am partial to Blu-Ray. I am. It's a better format, and the one I prefer. BUT, I do own the Toshiba A-20 Full HD 1080p player and about a dozen movies for it...up to and including the very disappointing Transformers (talk about over-rated).

Why is Blu-Ray the better format beyond the current larger GB size on the discs and some fudgy tech numbers the Sony camp pumps out there? I have directly compared both formats on my system and it varies from disc-to-disc. But I'll say this: overrated or not, HD DVD's current flagship title ("Transformers") is more visually and audio superior to Blu-Ray's ("Spider-Man 3"). Plus, it's obvious which one is more keen to utilize current technology to include Special Features as well, and it's not Blu-Ray. Most consumers notice and care about that kind of thing.

Also, Toshiba isn't shooting itself in the foot at all by pimping the 720p player. Because they realize that the mainstream market is going to be just fine with 1080i and isn't going want or care about 1080p for at least 2-3 more years, at which time the 1080p players will be available on the cheap.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid, man. Sony is losing ground FAST and the only way I see them stemming the tide is to put their ego aside and get with the program.

Your entitle to your opinion. I'm in entitled to mine. We'll agree to disagree.

Like I said, I own both players. And, I prefer Blu-Ray.

You know what I just realized? Next year both Iron Man and The Dark Knight will be HD-DVD exclusives, which could have an impact on Blu-ray, as long as those movies do well in theaters.

people, for the most part, that buy the $99 aren't going to spend big money on a player anyway so i don't think Toshiba is shooting themselves in the foot at all. What it does is put more players in more households, helping their format survive/thrive.

You know what I just realized? Next year both Iron Man and The Dark Knight will be HD-DVD exclusives, which could have an impact on Blu-ray, as long as those movies do well in theaters.

The Dark Knight is WB, so it won't be an exclusive. But you're right about Iron Man. Also, INDY IV is Paramount (HD DVD) and though Spielberg has decreed that he'd prefer his films to be on both formats (with the exception of CE3K, which is owned by Sony) he doesn't technically call the shots when it comes to Indy, Lucas does. So, yeah, HD DVD stands to have all of next Summer's big three tentpole titles, with 2 of them very possibly being exclusive to the format.

Gawd, twist the knife we don't you! :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 :cuss:blissysmi

Thank God for the Sox. They definitely saved my Fall. :fireworks

i said "it's in jeopardy"....i think Notre Dame will beat them, just because they own Annapolis. i wouldn't even worry about that.

Oh, I'm worried. Have you seen our offense?? We couldn't move the ball against some High School teams this year. :monkey4

It'll pay off in the future (we have another Top 3 recruiting class coming in again this year) but this is rough-going for sure. Even a win against Navy is no given this year.

The Dark Knight is WB, so it won't be an exclusive. But you're right about Iron Man. Also, INDY IV is Paramount (HD DVD) and though Spielberg has decreed that he'd prefer his films to be on both formats (with the exception of CE3K, which is owned by Sony) he doesn't technically call the shots when it comes to Indy, Lucas does. So, yeah, HD DVD stands to have all of next Summer's big three tentpole titles, with 2 of them very possibly being exclusive to the format.

Oh yeah, I forgot that, but why is Batman Begins exclusive to HD-DVD without any Blu-Ray version in sight?

Back