Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The closest Blockbuster to me finally got Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles for rent. Not a huge selection but it's a start.

HD-DVD? They aren't renting HD-DVD at blockbuster, unless they were a test store and they would not be getting more. Unless its a franchise store and they are doing it on there own.

HD-DVD? They aren't renting HD-DVD at blockbuster, unless they were a test store and they would not be getting more. Unless its a franchise store and they are doing it on there own.

Don't know? :huh All I know is it's Blockbuster and the have both. They've only started renting them in November. They're not selling them yet and aren't taking trade ins for credit yet either.

Well I got a HD DVD player a few weeks ago so I've been getting a few HD DVDs lately. Hopefully will get a PS3 early spring and then I'll be set. Went to Target tonight and picked up Harry Potter OotP and The Bourne Ultimatum on HD-DVD. I was so bummed that Pirates At World's End was only on Blu-ray. Now I'm going to have to wait 3-4 months before I can watch it in high def. I really wish they would offer all titles on both formats. It sucks only having one right now...(but it does look damn good! :D)

I watched OotP in BR last night and it's beautiful. I can't wait to watch the rest of them in BR as well.

Thanks Irish!

so which is the one to buy the Toshiba A-20 or A-3? Looks like the A-20 is 1080P but the A-3 is not and they are the same price at some places.

Also BB stopped their 5 free in store(kept the 5 mail away ones though), does anyone know if they are going to do it again? (i'm itching to get one tonight but it's hard to pass up the deal on Amazon deal)

I still think it's funny that the PS3 doesn't come with an HDMI or component cable.

"Here's your high def powerhouse machine and a non-HD compatible RCA cable to hook it all up!"

Though I'd chime in about a thing or two.

I'd highly reccomend getting Order of the Phoenix. I have a fir deal of HD movies, but this is probably one the best looking I've seen. The audio was nothing to sneeze at either. I got it at Best Buy for about $28, so that wasn't too bad a price, and I think that's the lowest advertised price, though Walmart usually do have some good prices on HD movies once in a while.

Also, there aren't too many reviews flying around for the first 4 movies yet, but HighDefDigest has reviews up for Sorcerer's Stone right now, and it sounds as if they did a good job on it. Personally, I'd expect the first two movies to have the worst quality. Also, I've been reading around the internet that the 3rd and 4th movies look better than the first two, so that sounds good.

So yeah, it sound like Warner did a good job on all 5 movies instead of just OOTP.

BY THE WAY!!! For people interested in buying the collectors set with all the movies, beware. For example a LOT of people are getting the HD DVD version of Goblet of Fire in their Blu ray collection, so I'd be careful of that set.

Heres an article about it : https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=743

Last edited:
Thanks Irish!

so which is the one to buy the Toshiba A-20 or A-3? Looks like the A-20 is 1080P but the A-3 is not and they are the same price at some places.

Also BB stopped their 5 free in store(kept the 5 mail away ones though), does anyone know if they are going to do it again? (i'm itching to get one tonight but it's hard to pass up the deal on Amazon deal)

I got the A-3 which I believe is only 1080i (which is fine for me because that is also what my tv is). Great deal though! I also got the 10 fee HD-DVDs but I bought mine on Thanksgiving and got it for $149.

Though I'd chime in about a thing or two.

I'd highly reccomend getting Order of the Phoenix. I have a fir deal of HD movies, but this is probably one the best looking I've seen. The audio was nothing to sneeze at either. I got it at Best Buy for about $28, so that wasn't too bad a price, and I think that's the lowest advertised price, though Walmart usually do have some good prices on HD movies once in a while.

Also, there aren't too many reviews flying around for the first 4 movies yet, but HighDefDigest has reviews up for Sorcerer's Stone right now, and it sounds as if they did a good job on it. Personally, I'd expect the first two movies to have the worst quality. Also, I've been reading around the internet that the 3rd and 4th movies look better than the first two, so that sounds good.

So yeah, it sound like Warner did a good job on all 5 movies instead of just OOTP.

BY THE WAY!!! For people interested in buying the collectors set with all the movies, beware. For example a LOT of people are getting the HD DVD version of Goblet of Fire in their Blu ray collection, so I'd be careful of that set.

I bought OotP on HD-DVD yesterday as well. Haven't watched it yet. Also picked up the Bourne Ultimatum. Really wanted the new Pirates movie, but I don't have a blu-ray player yet. :monkey2

I got the A-3 which I believe is only 1080i (which is fine for me because that is also what my tv is). Great deal though! I also got the 10 fee HD-DVDs but I bought mine on Thanksgiving and got it for $149.

I think I'm going to buy the A-30(it's the 1080P upgrade of the A-3 from what I can tell) at BB tonight and use it and return it tomorrow get the Amazon deal if I think it's worth it. It's a Christmas present for my dad but I need to "test" it out of course. :) His t.v. is 720p/1080i but I'll buy this for the future t.v. he'll get since it's such a great price on amazon and includes all of the movies.

I'm guessing even though it's 1080p it will still output in 1080i if 1080p isn't an option on the t.v. but 1080i is, correct?

I still think it's funny that the PS3 doesn't come with an HDMI or component cable.

"Here's your high def powerhouse machine and a non-HD compatible RCA cable to hook it all up!"

Tom, you don't understand....we should feel privileged that Sony is letting us buy this awesome machine....don't push it by asking for cables so you can use it. Just be glad they are letting us buy it. If you keep asking questions you'll mess it up for everyone.

Both packages they sell now have the HDMI cable.

Back