Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I feel (and hope) that Blu-Ray will win the war. More studio support, better HD quality (I've seen side by side demo stations, and Blu-Ray is light-years better IMO), and the PS3 is BR compatible right out of the box. HD-DVD's biggest selling point is that it's cheaper, but Blu-Ray players are steadily falling in price. Word is that early next year will see the release of a sub-$300 player.

Honestly, I feel (and hope) that Blu-Ray will win the war. More studio support, better HD quality (I've seen side by side demo stations, and Blu-Ray is light-years better IMO), and the PS3 is BR compatible right out of the box. HD-DVD's biggest selling point is that it's cheaper, but Blu-Ray players are steadily falling in price. Word is that early next year will see the release of a sub-$300 player.

I disagree that blu-ray is light years better. Off the top of my head, Spiderman 1 comes to mind. I find all the HD movies I have currently are very nice and crisp but it's been hit and miss with the blu ray movies I have. Personally I have both so i hope the war insn't over any time soon, the competition is good for reduced prices which will probably go away as soon as one side wins.

I disagree that blu-ray is light years better. Off the top of my head, Spiderman 1 comes to mind. I find all the HD movies I have currently are very nice and crisp but it's been hit and miss with the blu ray movies I have. Personally I have both so i hope the war insn't over any time soon, the competition is good for reduced prices which will probably go away as soon as one side wins.
I have both as well and I agree. In fact, to my eye HD DVD looks better. Movies like Transformers and Kong prove it. :monkey5

Some Blu Ray movies don't look much better than a regular DVD unfortunately.

How do you make out $99 players with 15 free movies is calm:rotfl Oh yeah am M$ is no worse than Sony. Just as the European Courts about that;)

Blu Ray....always on sale.

https://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Section_Path=/Promos/Movie03/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.h..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=334978401&pf_rd_i=193640011
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.h..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=337960901&pf_rd_i=193640011

Please link me to some other awesome HD DVD sales because I would seriously love to buy them at Blu Ray prices. :cool::lol

You'd have to take that up with Tosihba,Paramount, Universal and Dreamworks then :)

Lot of the blue ray sales are either pushed by the BDA or specific retailers, it doesn't seem, other then the free give aways during HD DVD hardware purchases that HD DVD is willing to do the same.

Evan

Blu-ray and HD DVD can look exatly the same. To the names of movies that we know companies did piss poor jobs on are low blows. Yeah did and absolutley God awful job on Spider-Man, we know. Now, Spider-Man 3, though a somehwat crappy moive, looks fantastic. Blu-Ray has stuff like that and Pirates, and HD DVD has stuff like Transformers and King Kong and the like. Don't bring up the bad movies to battle the formats with, but bring out the big guns. It's not the formats fault if a movie looks bad, but the company that did the transfers. It's been proven, they can both push out the same type of quality. The only differences as of now are the prices, the movie selections, and the few format exclusive features.

Blu-ray and HD DVD can look exatly the same. To the names of movies that we know companies did piss poor jobs on are low blows. Yeah did and absolutley God awful job on Spider-Man, we know. Now, Spider-Man 3, though a somehwat crappy moive, looks fantastic. Blu-Ray has stuff like that and Pirates, and HD DVD has stuff like Transformers and King Kong and the like. Don't bring up the bad movies to battle the formats with, but bring out the big guns. It's not the formats fault if a movie looks bad, but the company that did the transfers. It's been proven, they can both push out the same type of quality. The only differences as of now are the prices, the movie selections, and the few format exclusive features.

:lecture :lecture

Blu-ray and HD DVD can look exatly the same.

Absolutely.

...To the names of movies that we know companies did piss poor jobs on are low blows.

How is it a low blow? Good and bad are both part of the equation and both deserve consideration.

...It's not the formats fault if a movie looks bad, but the company that did the transfers...

That's true but regardless of who's fault it is, the end product is affected so it's part of the argument/discussion of which is better or which to choose.

To me the choice was simple, I wanted Underworld in HD so I had to get a Blu-ray player. I also wanted Streets of Fire in HD so I had to get a HD-DVD player.

I love these amazon BOGO sales. I ordered 8 BD movies for a little over $100:rock

And I did 4 more a couple weeks ago for under $50.

My BD collection has grown fast(and cheap) with these types of sales.

I love these amazon BOGO sales. I ordered 8 BD movies for a little over $100:rock

And I did 4 more a couple weeks ago for under $50.

My BD collection has grown fast(and cheap) with these types of sales.
Hell yeah, my BD collection has blown up in the last couple of months! I guess all that b!tc#in' about cheaper BD's has finally paid off for us!! :rock :D

Yeah I have found that older movies really don't matter in HD. So I am only buying new (last two to three years) movies on BD. i.e. MI:3 awesome, MI:2 same as a DVD!

Go Blu-Ray Go! :chew

Yeah I have found that older movies really don't matter in HD. So I am only buying new (last two to three years) movies on BD. i.e. MI:3 awesome, MI:2 same as a DVD!

lol...i thought i was the only person who thought that. my roommate keeps trying to convince me that they look better... he even tries to pause a movie and point out differences.

I always notice the difference between even a bad HD transfer and a standard/great DVD both in picture and sound quality but I have a pretty decent system.

rumor has it that Best Buy during the Dec 16-22 week will have both a HD DVD and Blue Ray BOGO sale...interesting thig about the sale is that there are about 15 choices for each and new releases are included: Bourne, Pirates and Spiderman 3, which BOGO's usually try and get rid of older titles.

Evan

My BR collection has grown in the past week. SM3 comes with the ps3, The Searchers and The Unforgivin BOGO sale, and my Wife bought me Halloween yesterday. What a way to start.

My BR collection has grown in the past week. SM3 comes with the ps3, The Searchers and The Unforgivin BOGO sale, and my Wife bought me Halloween yesterday. What a way to start.

Hell yeah Kain! :rock

I actually just jumped on the JR.com sale and picked up Rocky Balboa, Hellboy, and Stranger Than Fiction. :cool: :chew

The closest Blockbuster to me finally got Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles for rent. Not a huge selection but it's a start.

Back