Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can older films not be HD? Film camera quality is still like twice the size of 1080p so it's unlikely that anything that's been filmed on film cameras is as small as SD video.

Exactly but there are people that have posted in different threads that don't realize that fact so I am hoping that this article will help educate them.

I don't see why it wouldn't...Paramount switched to HD-DVD after saying it was staying neutral, now whether they were enticed with a payoff, who knows, but whats to stop Sony and the BDA from doing the same to Warner Brothers.

All this format war does is cost the consumers more money at this point I could care less who wins as long as there is one format and for the average joe/joanne on the street they just want to have a resonably priced player and semi cheap discs, no one likes the fact that every time you go into a Best Buy or a Walmart and ask about HD, you get 20 different answers.

Evan

I don't see why it wouldn't...Paramount switched to HD-DVD after saying it was staying neutral, now whether they were enticed with a payoff, who knows, but whats to stop Sony and the BDA from doing the same to Warner Brothers.

All this format war does is cost the consumers more money at this point I could care less who wins as long as there is one format and for the average joe/joanne on the street they just want to have a resonably priced player and semi cheap discs, no one likes the fact that every time you go into a Best Buy or a Walmart and ask about HD, you get 20 different answers.

Evan

Warner has been a large proponent of using both formats so it would be a bit confusing to become exclusive to either format at this point. In fact they've put development into dual-format discs and trying to get other studios to support both formats.

walmart has the a-2($198) and a-3($299) with 12 free hd dvd's. 2 are boxed with the player and 5 are instant(under $30) and you mail away for 5, on sale tomorrow. are those prices "on-sale"?

FYI to those interested--Amazon has the same deal going, but the players themselves are actually discounted 25-30%. And no sales tax will save you a bit of money as well.

Warner has been a large proponent of using both formats so it would be a bit confusing to become exclusive to either format at this point. In fact they've put development into dual-format discs and trying to get other studios to support both formats.

Warner dropped the dual format disc a few months ago, they have publicly said it wasn't worth the financial effort to produce it.

One way or the other something needs to change because if it takes 3 or 4 years for this format war to be over, I think digital downloads may be the way to go.

Evan

i was really close to picking one up today but just couldn't justify it. not until there is one format or the $99 deal comes around again.

One nice thing about the format war is the fact that Blu-ray so badly wants to maintain the edge in disc sales that every few weeks they do a buy-one-get-one-free to keep their sales numbers up. I was getting BR discs for like $8 each from Amazon when Transformers came out on HD DVD. Whenever a high profile HD DVD exclusive title comes out, you can expect a BR counter attack becuase they want to issue a press release the following week about how their numbers were still higher. It's been fun watching the two sides fight it out with competing lower prices on players and discs from time to time. We wouldn't be seeing $99 players and frequent BOGO deals with one unified format--but that's still happening at the expense of larger public acceptance.

However--the format war will soon be over. I have preordered the Harry Potter films on HD DVD, which means that Warner will soon announce they are switching to Blu-ray just to spite me, so that the last two releases won't match the others on my shelf.

However--the format war will soon be over. I have preordered the Harry Potter films on HD DVD, which means that Warner will soon announce they are switching to Blu-ray just to spite me, so that the last two releases won't match the others on my shelf.

Thanks Tom! Very cool of you to offer yourself up as a sacrifice for BD owners.

Yes, thanks, Tom! You are bringing peace to a devided nation and helping me justify continued pride of ownership in my PS3.

The way it looks is that Blu Ray is just hurting to sell disks. Every week they are practically giving them away while HD Dvd calmly goes about their own business. I still hope HD DVD wins because I just dislike Sony and their practices profoundly. Only time will tell though....

The way it looks is that Blu Ray is just hurting to sell disks. Every week they are practically giving them away while HD Dvd calmly goes about their own business. I still hope HD DVD wins because I just dislike Sony and their practices profoundly. Only time will tell though....

How do you make out $99 players with 15 free movies is calm:rotfl Oh yeah am M$ is no worse than Sony. Just as the European Courts about that;)

Back