Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is that I think you are going to be very surprised at the way the rest of the year shapes up. Things are not nearly as gloomy as you think. And it will, in the long run, be a very good thing for consumers.

I agree. I actually think the prices for the units will come down.

Like I said before I think people are crazy to be happy about this, all this means is that prices will stop dropping for Blu-Ray players and all the movie deals and rebates will be gone too. This will now become DVD in the 90's having a long uphill battle to convince people that they should spend as much as 100+ times more for a player and twice as much for the movies. This for consumers is a bad thing, the competition between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD was a good thing it drove the prices of players down with sales and helped create good sales on movies. There is no reason for Blu-Ray to continue doing this, which means prices will go back up, sales will become fewer if at all. As much as people believed that the format war was bad it was good, but if its truly over Blu-Ray will become stagnant for a few years until more HDTVS make their way into homes and production costs of Blu-Ray DVDs and players drop significantly allowing prices to drop with out taking hits in profits, which right now are very low if they even exist.

Were you actually around for the "birth" of DVD? Because I was. Hell, I still remember having to sneak in my 600 dollar DVD player, because I didn't want to have to explain to my parents how I could afford that much money, yet kept asking for money at college LOL. But, point being, I was hooked from the beginning. DVD players and software dropped rapidly after the first year or so. Hell, I remember when I could get 20 dollars off a hundred dollar DVD order with no effort. It wasn't until DVD (and to an extent Internet based commerce) took hold and became popular that the deals went away. Sony is not going to sit back on their laurels now. They pretty much gave up the lead in the Video Game market to win this "format war". You take the Blu Ray out of the PS3, the original price comes down 200 bucks and they have a nice foothold by the time the Wii comes out (not to mention PS3 was delayed for close to a year due to Blu Ray concerns). So, do you really think they are going to sit back and try to milk the early adapters? We mean nothing to them. The big money is with the average consumer. The only way they will convince Joe and Jane Schmoe that they need Blu Ray is to get the prices competitive with regular DVD. Sure, it's not going to happen over night. But, that will be their big focus now. Prices are not going up, because HD-DVD is dead - that's just Chicken Little "sky is falling" silliness propagated by those who are angry HD-DVD lost.

Well enjoy blu-ray until red-ray comes out in 3.5 years.:monkey5:D

Pretty much. There will be something "new" that comes out in another 3-5 years that's supposed to make Blu Ray look you're watching old home movies I'm sure. There is always something new eventually and in the tech world it seems to take about 3-5 years.

That would be hard to do since they will have to pay licensing rights to make one and it was said since day on that HD-DVD players are cheaper to make due to technology the used vs the technology used for Blu-Ray.

Plus I don't think the studios had anything to do with the Buy one get one free deals, those deals were pushed by Sony and the Blu-Ray organization and they took the hit.

Your not obviously familiar with how new formats work. Originally when both VHS and DVD came out players were extremely expensive. Once consumers knew that this was the future format mass adoption occured. The same will happen with Blu Ray. Player prices will come down but just not as quickly as Toshibas HD-DVD. But you will see players below $300 this year and maybe as low as $200.

Were you actually around for the "birth" of DVD? Because I was. Hell, I still remember having to sneak in my 600 dollar DVD player, because I didn't want to have to explain to my parents how I could afford that much money, yet kept asking for money at college LOL. But, point being, I was hooked from the beginning. DVD players and software dropped rapidly after the first year or so. Hell, I remember when I could get 20 dollars off a hundred dollar DVD order with no effort. It wasn't until DVD (and to an extent Internet based commerce) took hold and became popular that the deals went away. Sony is not going to sit back on their laurels now. They pretty much gave up the lead in the Video Game market to win this "format war". You take the Blu Ray out of the PS3, the original price comes down 200 bucks and they have a nice foothold by the time the Wii comes out (not to mention PS3 was delayed for close to a year due to Blu Ray concerns). So, do you really think they are going to sit back and try to milk the early adapters? We mean nothing to them. The big money is with the average consumer. The only way they will convince Joe and Jane Schmoe that they need Blu Ray is to get the prices competitive with regular DVD. Sure, it's not going to happen over night. But, that will be their big focus now. Prices are not going up, because HD-DVD is dead - that's just Chicken Little "sky is falling" silliness propagated by those who are angry HD-DVD lost.

tornado-bowling.png

https://gotze.eu/2005/05

Actually yes I was around when DVD came out. I also remember paying 20-30 for DVDs when the same movie was 10 on VHS. DVD took a while to even make dent in the VHS market and Blu-Ray will have the same issue. If you think the sales prices are going to stay around your crazy. All the price drops were both sides doing everything they could to try and get the major foothold in the market. There is no way the companies involved can continue to drop prices until they can get hardware production cost down big time. They have spent way to much money to win, its time to try and recoup that money, they cant continue to have very low profit margins f they even have profit margins at all after huge payouts to these companies to drop HD-DVD.

Your not obviously familiar with how new formats work. Originally when both VHS and DVD came out players were extremely expensive. Once consumers knew that this was the future format mass adoption occured. The same will happen with Blu Ray. Player prices will come down but just not as quickly as Toshibas HD-DVD. But you will see players below $300 this year and maybe as low as $200.

Yes I do know how it works, something new comes out it struggles for years due to prices that much higher then the competitions prices. Toshiba 's production costs didn't drop anywhere close to the price drop that the players had. Both sides sacrificed profits in a effort to get a head, and with the direct competition gone they have no reason to justify the loses. Prices will stay pretty level for a little while even if production costs go down so they can start to make a profit again.

Looks like Toshiba is speaking up!

TOKYO (AP) -- Toshiba may pull the plug on its high-definition DVD format but no decision has been made, the Japanese electronics maker said in a statement Monday.

Toshiba Corp. has started a review of its HD DVD business, it said, amid reports by the Wall Street Journal and Kyodo News agency that Toshiba was considering pulling out after losing ground to the competing Blu-ray disc format.

The Journal, citing people familiar with the situation, reported Sunday that the company is likely to pull out early this week.

A Toshiba pullout would signal the almost certain defeat of HD DVD to Blu-ray, which is backed by Sony Corp (SNE)., five major Hollywood movie studios and others.

Only one format has been expected to emerge as the winner, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.

Looks like Toshiba is speaking up!

TOKYO (AP) -- Toshiba may pull the plug on its high-definition DVD format but no decision has been made, the Japanese electronics maker said in a statement Monday.

Toshiba Corp. has started a review of its HD DVD business, it said, amid reports by the Wall Street Journal and Kyodo News agency that Toshiba was considering pulling out after losing ground to the competing Blu-ray disc format.

The Journal, citing people familiar with the situation, reported Sunday that the company is likely to pull out early this week.

A Toshiba pullout would signal the almost certain defeat of HD DVD to Blu-ray, which is backed by Sony Corp (SNE)., five major Hollywood movie studios and others.

Only one format has been expected to emerge as the winner, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.

So that means trade in your 360 HD player now before the price drops!!! They will probably release a blu ray attachment in a year. That is why MS didn't include the drive to begin with because it wanted to be able to continue selling consoles if HD went south. In 30 years HD DVD's will be a hot collectors item if you have a working player. LOL

Me and my Dad just got new TV's. I already have two of each player so I could care less. But I told him not to even bother with HD. I bought a BR player and like 8 movies for his this weekend so he's about to become very spoiled.

Although I disagree with many of your points, I can certainly see how you could arrive at the conclusions you did. Only time will tell whether your scenario or mine will ultimately play out.

However, I do have to question you a bit on this one:
Actually yes I was around when DVD came out. I also remember paying 20-30 for DVDs when the same movie was 10 on VHS. DVD took a while to even make dent in the VHS market and Blu-Ray will have the same issue.
You say you were around, but it doesn't sound like you were following things that closely. When the DVD format launched, it was projected that it would take between 7 and 10 years to overtake VHS. That was the conventional wisdom, because that was they way things had always worked.

The reality is, DVD completely eclipsed VHS in less than 5 years, far surpassing even the most optimistic projections. Whether Blu-ray can match that is yet to be seen, but there are many analysts who believe it may.

The reality is, DVD completely eclipsed VHS in less than 5 years, far surpassing even the most optimistic projections. Whether Blu-ray can match that is yet to be seen, but there are many analysts who believe it may.

I think it will take BR a lot longer than 5 years. The average person wouldn't see the difference between DVD and BR. There was a HUGE quality difference between VHS and DVD.

Although I disagree with many of your points, I can certainly see how you could arrive at the conclusions you did. Only time will tell whether your scenario or mine will ultimately play out.

However, I do have to question you a bit on this one:

You say you were around, but it doesn't sound like you were following things that closely. When the DVD format launched, it was projected that it would take between 7 and 10 years to overtake VHS. That was the conventional wisdom, because that was they way things had always worked.

Last time I check 5 years is good amount a time and to say totally eclipsed if kinda far fetched, most major rental places were still renting VHS much more then DVD in the early 2000s and sales were pretty much equal. Plus to go from VHS to DVD you didn't need a new TV to see the difference, but BR on a non HDTV is pointless so you have to factor in the fact that you have to get a whole lot of people to buy a new TV before even thinking about getting a BR player.

Oh yeah I just did a quick search and rentals were just about 50/50 in 2003 which is if I remember correct about 10 years after DVD was released.

People still rented those nasty VHS tapes in 2003?! Big gah. :monkey4:google

Most people aren't technology whores like us.

Hell my parents didnt have a DVD player until maybe 2004 or 2005 when I gave them one for Christmas.

Ohh yeah whos the new avatar?

Most people aren't technology whores like us.

Hell my parents didnt have a DVD player until maybe 2004 or 2005 when I gave them one for Christmas.

Ohh yeah whos the new avatar?

:google:google:google

All this is crazy to me. I have had a dvd player for so long....

The girl in my avatar is Jesse Jane. Maulfan is not familiar with her work.:monkey1

Back