Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, what's a 'Financial Steak'? :confused: Is that a Steak with money on top?

I think the word you fellows were looking for was 'Stake'

BLU-RAY FTW!!! :rock :D

I dont know I have had some pretty expensive Steaks that could be considered Financial Steaks:lol:lol

gear_rip_021508_spot_1203119518.jpg

Even before the Walmart announcement and the Toshiba rumor the company that does DVD authoring for my company was told by Sonic that they weren't supporting their HD authoring software anymore and would replace it with Blu-ray authoring software.

Even though I got my HD player relatively cheap, I'm a little perturbed I didn't hold out for another 6 months before diving into the HD pool. I now have a bunch of HD DVDs that I'll have to replace eventually.

But I am glad I jumped on the PS3 bandwagon at the same time.

Even before the Walmart announcement and the Toshiba rumor the company that does DVD authoring for my company was told by Sonic that they weren't supporting their HD authoring software anymore and would replace it with Blu-ray authoring software.

Even though I got my HD player relatively cheap, I'm a little perturbed I didn't hold out for another 6 months before diving into the HD pool. I now have a bunch of HD DVDs that I'll have to replace eventually.

But I am glad I jumped on the PS3 bandwagon at the same time.

Same here on both points. I grabbed a PS3 at Christmas because I got a bunch of Best Buy gift cards. I also purchased a stand alone BR and a stand alone HD DVD player for my bedroom in Jan. Had I waited another month and a half on the stand alone players I would not have needed the HD DVD one....oh well, such is life for the impatient.

NHK in Japan is now reporting that Toshiba has leaked news that they are stopping production and development of HD DVD. They will sell existing products (assuming that there are enough people who will want to buy them), but will cease development of any new HD DVD products (presumably including dual format players), and they will close their HD DVD production facilities in northern Japan.

https://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/

Like I said before I think people are crazy to be happy about this, all this means is that prices will stop dropping for Blu-Ray players and all the movie deals and rebates will be gone too. This will now become DVD in the 90's having a long uphill battle to convince people that they should spend as much as 100+ times more for a player and twice as much for the movies. This for consumers is a bad thing, the competition between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD was a good thing it drove the prices of players down with sales and helped create good sales on movies. There is no reason for Blu-Ray to continue doing this, which means prices will go back up, sales will become fewer if at all. As much as people believed that the format war was bad it was good, but if its truly over Blu-Ray will become stagnant for a few years until more HDTVS make their way into homes and production costs of Blu-Ray DVDs and players drop significantly allowing prices to drop with out taking hits in profits, which right now are very low if they even exist.

Like I said before I think people are crazy to be happy about this, all this means is that prices will stop dropping for Blu-Ray players and all the movie deals and rebates will be gone too. This will now become DVD in the 90's having a long uphill battle to convince people that they should spend as much as 100+ times more for a player and twice as much for the movies. This for consumers is a bad thing, the competition between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD was a good thing it drove the prices of players down with sales and helped create good sales on movies. There is no reason for Blu-Ray to continue doing this, which means prices will go back up, sales will become fewer if at all. As much as people believed that the format war was bad it was good, but if its truly over Blu-Ray will become stagnant for a few years until more HDTVS make their way into homes and production costs of Blu-Ray DVDs and players drop significantly allowing prices to drop with out taking hits in profits, which right now are very low if they even exist.

All I can say is that I think you are going to be very surprised at the way the rest of the year shapes up. Things are not nearly as gloomy as you think. And it will, in the long run, be a very good thing for consumers.

There's still a battle for consumers to adopt Hi-Def at all. Standard DVD still dominates the market and will, until Blu-ray comes down in price. It's more like the VHS vs. DVD previously now that there's only one HD format. DVD players eventually got just as cheap as VHS players. It will play out the same way here.

There's still a battle for consumers to adopt Hi-Def at all. Standard DVD still dominates the market and will, until Blu-ray comes down in price. It's more like the VHS vs. DVD previously now that there's only one HD format. DVD players eventually got just as cheap as VHS players. It will play out the same way here.

Exactly! People think since BR won that they dont have anybody to compete with. Which is stupid cause DVD are still here cheaper and I giant leap fro BR to get over. So of course prices will keep dropping they need to kick dvds ass!

Exactly! People think since BR won that they dont have anybody to compete with. Which is stupid cause DVD are still here cheaper and I giant leap fro BR to get over. So of course prices will keep dropping they need to kick dvds ass!

not only are they battling that but the "new" technology around the corner...they need to get those prices down on the players.

Well I for one am very happy BD won the HiDef war. It feels good to have made the right choice, which for me rarely seems to happen:lol

Back