Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parents divorce left her and her sister and mom almost homeless, check.

No brothers, check.

Told by a white male acting teacher she would amount to nobody, check.

Has been hurt from a previous relationship with a white male, check.

You forgot: he promised just the tip, then lied. Check.

I can't...breath ….

*cough*...too much...

*cough*...toxic masculinity

in ….thread...

BmpHwPz.gif

Xipo, you echo my thoughts exactly. Brie's comments are downright stupid, but I can easily dismiss them. Though I happen to be one of the very people she's rallying against (white male), it doesn't change the fact that I support the MCU, Feige, and this ride they've taken us on so far. I'll be there opening night (hell, I already have tickets for two showings), and if the movie itself ends up being a letdown, then it'll be one of the few MCU offerings that I don't re-watch an absolutely stupid amount of times.

I'll be very curious to hear the reviews from you and jye. I'm not so hellbent on avoiding this production that I can't be swayed if the end result is far removed from Brie's own idiotic comments and having yet one more film to enjoy is always more fun than not.

Last edited:
I'll be very curious to hear the reviews from you and jye. I'm not so hellbent on avoiding this production that I can't be swayed if the end result is far removed from Brie's own idiotic comments and having yet one more film to enjoy is always more fun than not.

See, that's the spirit.
I'm not telling anyone to see something if they have a problem with it. As many have mentioned, the one way we can speak out against some of this nonsense is with our wallets. But (for me, anyway) it's not like the character of Carol Danvers herself is saying all of these things, so I'm going in expecting to enjoy the characters and story that are a small part of this ever-expanding universe that I really love. At this point in life, and especially where we are as a society, I simply have to separate the fiction of the film from the reality of those who make it, and judge both on their own merits. I'd lose my mind if I didn't.

Yep, totally agree. It's all so arbitrary since cbm's are from from being one of life's necessities. As a matter of fact I'm way more annoyed at Brie Larson for dismissing Ellen Ripley than I am for her dismissing my own race and gender, lol.

See, that's the spirit.
I'm not telling anyone to see something if they have a problem with it. As many have mentioned, the one way we can speak out against some of this nonsense is with our wallets. But (for me, anyway) it's not like the character of Carol Danvers herself is saying all of these things, so I'm going in expecting to enjoy the characters and story that are a small part of this ever-expanding universe that I really love. At this point in life, and especially where we are as a society, I simply have to separate the fiction of the film from the reality of those who make it, and judge both on their own merits. I'd lose my mind if I didn't.

I hear you. Since these are just movies we're talking about I'm at the age (or state of mind rather) that I really don't need these and if the people that make them want to go out of their way to annoy me then I've got more than enough options in my film library at home and other theatrical releases to keep me more than happy without having to reward such individuals with my time and money going forward.

All of that being said, I won't accept any dissent when it comes to Endgame.
You mother****ers better get your asses to that theater (multiple times) opening weekend!

I thought I was a little excited to see this. But after all this crap from Brie yet again about women empowerment and this and that, I'm losing any enthusiasm I had. Especially since my daughter doesn't even care if she sees it. She still has yet to even want to watch Wonder Woman. I was hoping Marvel wouldn't let it go down this route...

I guess this unwanted white male can save his money, since I/we are the root of all evil in the world and must be punished and called out after all. :doh

All of that being said, I won't accept any dissent when it comes to Endgame.
You mother****ers better get your asses to that theater (multiple times) opening weekend!

I will be there at least twice for endgame. Captain marvel I might go see but I haven’t decided yet. Never read much of the character and trailer hasn’t wowed me. I didn’t go see either ant man movies either but bought them for home consumption. Wife feels the same way. We have a really nice media room so we only really go to movies that seem like an event like end game and episode 9 of Star Wars.

I guess here is the question for everyone here.

Does an actor/director/producers world view color your enjoyment of a film?

I am also someone who “votes with my wallet” but to think BL made this film by herself and bit opinions dominate it are a bit of a stretch

Honestly, I have yet to see a film where the comments of the makers really turned me off so much that it colored my view of it. And I saw Ghostbusters 2016.....

Thank god too, because if considered all that, Its very likely I would end up hating many classics....

Like, The Matrix, LOTR trilogy , SW, The Terminator, etc etc.
As a matter of fact I'm way more annoyed at Brie Larson for dismissing Ellen Ripley than I am for her dismissing my own race and gender, lol.
LOL , I agree! Might win as the dumbest thing someone has said from the film industry in along time.

I'm at the age (or state of mind rather) that I really don't need these and if the people that make them want to go out of their way to annoy me .....

Come one now Khev, I do not think the film industry as a whole is out to annoy you....just one uppity actress.

We have seen this kinda thing before and BL did more damage to her career with her statements than to the white man and his beloved films.

;)

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Parents divorce left her and her sister and mom almost homeless, check.
No brothers, check.
Told by a white male acting teacher she would amount to nobody, check.
Has been hurt from a previous relationship with a white male, check.

Gee I wonder how she became radicalized against white men lol

Yeah....because no woman has had it *much* worse, and not become a bigot.

Every one saying "support the movie, in spite of BL" : You do understand that the *only* influence you have in such is your wallet correct?

If everyone supports the movie, BL is justified in her head, and Disney's SJW theme will continue to get worse. Only by backlash in sales do they "get it".

Every thing about the trailers has been very ho-hum, but I would have seen it in first week. No way in hell now.

I am not supporting this movie i don't believe in people openly pushing agendas in my comic book movies.

Every one saying "support the movie, in spite of BL" : You do understand that the *only* influence you have in such is your wallet correct?

If everyone supports the movie, BL is justified in her head, and Disney's SJW theme will continue to get worse. Only by backlash in sales do they "get it".

Every thing about the trailers has been very ho-hum, but I would have seen it in first week. No way in hell now.

^ So much THIS.
This trailer looks like the 2011 Green Lantern minus the jokes and Ryan Reynolds' likeability. Nothing new, fresh or innovative here, just more of the same; flavorless and unremarkable. Marvel knows it. That's why we're getting this same sort of "rah-rah, Us vs. Them" stick it to to the "haters" marketing ploys that seem cribbed from the Ghostbusters 2016 marketing scam. "Hey! Men hate us because we're girls! Let's show 'em by organizing 'girls' night out at Ghostbusters!" Yeah. Thanks, but no thanks.

I guess here is the question for everyone here.

Does an actor/director/producers world view color your enjoyment of a film?

In many cases no because I know they are flaming liberals. However, in this case BL has directly come out against white males. I know I can't boycott everything liberal or I'd have nothing to watch or places to shop, but when an actor or store gets too far left and openly disparages what I am or stand for then I'm out. I won't see this film. I don't shop at Target. I don't watch Supergirl. There are some things I simply move on from. I'll see Endgame and if BL is the future face of the MCU as rumors say then it'll be Endgame for me in more ways than one.

A male journalist's take on Brie's stance regarding press conferences & movie reviews (after the costume discussion):

https://www.slashfilm.com/captain-marvel-costume/

"Marginalized journalists".
Yeah. I'm sure this is what it's all about for Brie/Marvel.
It ain't all about pandering to a subset of critics, garnering favorable reviews to a lack luster film, in an effort to attain more money at the box office.
F@ck this movie.

Back