Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a person of color and a minority. I deal with prejudice, discrimination, and out and out racism every single day.

(I'm a white man in Japan.)

Could you explain how society is inherently patriarchal and how exactly white males have benefited from it today?

Actually, someone else below explained how society is inherently patriarchal, look at this ...

There is a lifetime earnings gap that is explained by a few factors such as men typically choosing higher-paying professions, working more hours during the week, more likely to take on over-time, taking less days off, choosing high-risk positions. Studies show that men tend to focus more on their career and women focus more on their family.

Woah, wait a minute, you two are the same person!! Well, I'll be ...

Can Larsen comment on the prevalence of attractive, twenty-something Caucasian women (Daisy Ridley, Gal Gadot, herself) currently occupying roles that could, possibly be played by better actresses of color, ethnicity, and or different body types? And when does she as a privileged white woman plan on stepping aside from these roles and handing them over to these actresses?

Wow ...apparently this movie can't get here soon enough. We all need to go to the movies.

Exactly. I'm looking forward to setting aside this no-win debate and escaping into a fun MCU popcorn flick...

Allow Black Panther to remind you that any MCU film can always end up a gigantic, steaming turd so long as anything remotely political is invovled.

*Sarcasm intended.*

Can Larsen comment on the prevalence of attractive, twenty-something Caucasian women (Daisy Ridley, Gal Gadot, herself) currently occupying roles that could, possibly be played by better actresses of color, ethnicity, and or different body types? And when does she as a privileged white woman plan on stepping aside from these roles and handing them over to these actresses?

For sure. But re the trailers - CM is definitely hangin' out with black people, including the *heartwarming* scene of bonding with a little girl. All while having salon-fresh TV commercial hair. So those diversity boxes got checked.:monkey3

Actually, someone else below explained how society is inherently patriarchal, look at this ...

Woah, wait a minute, you two are the same person!! Well, I'll be ...

Inherently patriarchal as in a system's implicit and/or explicit emphasis on benefiting males. There is no benefit for being male in the explanation I provided; Generally, men receive more because they put in more. You spinning my explanation to prove your point is like saying, "Those who do well on exams because of their investment in long study hours highlights the unfair punishment for those who receive worse grades for studying less."

This film already makes me dislike it for what I'm reading...big meh interest wise but I will go see it

Marvel's over. Netflix is cancelling everything Marvel. The tide is changing.

:D

This last 10 years have been an incredible Golden Years for Marvel. Like Disney's animation renaissance in the 90's, but like all great periods, it does come to an end. I think people realize that Endgame is just that.

Marvel's over. Netflix is cancelling everything Marvel. The tide is changing.

:D

This last 10 years have been an incredible Golden Years for Marvel. Like Disney's animation renaissance in the 90's, but like all great periods, it does come to an end. I think people realize that Endgame is just that.

2105 article but:

https://screenrant.com/kevin-feige-overthrows-marvel-ceo-disney/
Any film buff familiar with the happenings of superhero movies over the last decade, most notably the formation, acquisition of, and success of Marvel Studios as a top tier movie production powerhouse, should know the name of producer Kevin Feige very well. He's the main guy responsible for what the MCU is. He's the guy who helped get Robert Downey Jr. to sign for more Marvel movies (including the aforementioned Civil War) when certain executives didn't want to pay his high salary. And he's even the guy who just managed to get his boss out of the picture...

Feige will never need to concern himself with job security with his accomplishments but we know he's currently signed with Marvel Studios all the way through the end of Phase 3 which concludes in 2019 with Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 and Inhumans. As long as Marvel's success and growth continues in light of growing competition from Warner Bros.' DC movie franchise and Fox's X-Men series, he can stick around forever as the figurehead of Marvel Studios, much like Kathleen Kennedy is the face of Lucasfilm and John Lasseter is the face of Pixar.
Fast forward - don't like some of the stuff Feige does:rolleyes:, like gushing over BP cast and gushing over CM, or some of the stuff I think I'm hearing re future MCU. But, think the MCU succeeded vs. DC w. someone like Feige at the wheel. A face who'll stand up, right in front of an audience of fans. Someone who'll also say, and has, that sooner or later the MCU is gonna have a misfire.

Which IMO won't be CM - it's too buffered from the EG glow, and it's got...the cat, anyway:cool:. Like the DS scene-stealing cloak. Anyway, as the Golden Age of the MCU winds down - it WAS gonna end. IMO just one of those things where the right actors, directors, artists all came together:clap. Not that I'm not looking forward to JG's Mysterio, the BW movie, the TV series, hopefully the intro of Storm into the MCU...just my wallet will be able to breathe again, hopefully.

(Except for the "anniversary special uber DX" releases:horror....)

I'm curious what will fill the superhero void. Will we have a revisionist's horror era? Will 'hard action' come back into vogue as the success of things like John Wick? Or will kiddies weaned on 10+ years of superheroes demand more 'super' stuff just a little more grounded - like without the star-spangled costumes?

Mostly family fantasy/action for the last 10 years has to give way to something a bit more hard edged though, doesn't it?

I'm curious what will fill the superhero void. Will we have a revisionist's horror era? Will 'hard action' come back into vogue as the success of things like John Wick? Or will kiddies weaned on 10+ years of superheroes demand more 'super' stuff just a little more grounded - like without the star-spangled costumes?

Mostly family fantasy/action for the last 10 years has to give way to something a bit more hard edged though, doesn't it?

I'm thinking/hoping we'll see something that occurred a in the mid-nineties after a long spate of cookie-cutter action films; a rise of edgier indie pics from the likes of Tarantino, and Rodriguez. Sooner or later some outsider's going to knock this pandering, four-quadrant, family friendly crap on its bloated ass.
I'm looking forward to it.

Back