Premium Format DC Comics Superman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a smiling Superman?

superman-smile.gif

Last edited:
By recently, do you mean the late 1970s ?

No, probably 1986. That's when Frank Miller made Batman grim and gritty. Since Superman first appeared in 1938, he was 48 at the time and is about 75 now. So that's "recent".

Wolverine also came to prominence in the middle 1980s, the Punisher too. The characters were around before then, but got really big starting then.

Slowly but surely the trend was to make more characters grim and gritty (G&G) and alienated and angry (A&A a phrase that I am coining and copyrighting right now!). The character of Wally West's Flash started off that way after CoIE.

Superman was a character that bucked the trend at the time while Byrne's "reboot" of the character was in effect. Now, sadly, that's not the case and Superman is another generic, G&G, A&A character with a popped collar. The A&A trend started with Smallville on television and has now made it into the comics and looks to be going into the movies as well. More is the pity.

The "standard" SSC perfectly captures the essence of Superman before the changes for the worse.

No, probably 1986. That's when Frank Miller made Batman grim and gritty. Since Superman first appeared in 1938, he was 48 at the time and is about 75 now. So that's "recent".

Wolverine also came to prominence in the middle 1980s, the Punisher too. The characters were around before then, but got really big starting then.

Slowly but surely the trend was to make more characters grim and gritty (G&G) and alienated and angry (A&A a phrase that I am coining and copyrighting right now!). The character of Wally West's Flash started off that way after CoIE.

Superman was a character that bucked the trend at the time while Byrne's "reboot" of the character was in effect. Now, sadly, that's not the case and Superman is another generic, G&G, A&A character with a popped collar. The A&A trend started with Smallville on television and has now made it into the comics and looks to be going into the movies as well. More is the pity.

The "standard" SSC perfectly captures the essence of Superman before the changes for the worse.

All that and I still want to display both portraits. :dunno

Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen weren't the beginning of the grim and gritty era. It was the peak.

O'Neil's Green Arrow and Green Lantern stuff was the late 1970s.
And Millar started his grim and gritty feel with Daredevil in 1979.
The Punisher actually came to prominence and popularity in the late 1970s as well (though his solo series didn't start until the mid 1980s)
Hence my joke about late 1970s :)

Superman got darker as well, just not as dark as those mentioned above.
But even if we take your date of 1986+, that's an applause worthy level of backpeddling to say that what you actually meant was that with Superman being 75, the last 25+ years counts as recent. Well done sir :clap

Last edited:

Sorry I have comics from before 86 where Superman gets pissed off.... Heck I have seen the, from the 60s where he gets angry? Plus all this writing to say why you won't display the angry head.:cuckoo: Dude, at this point don't you think you have beatend this dead horse enough???:horse

All that and I still want to display both portraits. :dunno

:wave:1-1:

Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen weren't the beginning of the grim and gritty era. It was the peak.

O'Neil's Green Arrow and Green Lantern stuff was the late 1970s.
And Millar started his grim and gritty feel with Daredevil in 1979.
The Punisher actually came to prominence and popularity in the late 1970s as well (though his solo series didn't start until the mid 1980s)
Hence my joke about late 1970s :)

Superman got darker as well, just not as dark as those mentioned above.
But even if we take your date of 1986+, that's an applause worthy of backpeddling to say that what you actually meant was that with Superman being 75, the last 25+ years counts as recent. Well done sir :clap

:exactly::goodpost:

Last edited:
Hey guys ... I have parent teacher interviews again tomorrow night.... If the goes up for PO WHO IS GOING TO HELP ME!!!!

Don't worry man. You may aswell have a nap afterwards aswell he is not going up for PO tomorrow....:(

tumblr_lux989QbLu1r2zpmqo1_400.gif

:lol

Wow you're still in high school?

Believe it or not the pay me to educate young minds... And quit well actually.

Don't worry man. You may aswell have a nap afterwards aswell he is not going up for PO tomorrow....:(

tumblr_lux989QbLu1r2zpmqo1_400.gif

:lol

I know, but I could only imagine it being my luck. Remember the what happened when the Batman Ex opened up.... :thud:

I can't wait to see the moaners that miss out on the ex for this.

You and Bruce aren't going to go easy on them are you? :lol

Oh god.... I may go away for a few weeks during the summer, but if I end up withoutninternet I am going to begging you guys for help...lol.

Back