English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like La Liga, Bundesliga (Spelling?) has only two teams that can fight for the trophy.Reason why Barcelona lost was because their defence was weak and just got outclassed. Real Madrid were not a team and didn't even use their prized asset. I'm still going with a Real-Bayern final.
Bundesliga is actually more like the EPL... it has Bayern getting the trophies most of the time with other clubs like Schalke, Leverkusen, and in the few seasons with Klopp... Dortmund. So EPL really isnt that competitive either... its ManU most of the time... and other clubs thrown in some of the time...

Real didnt use their prized asset? a team which brings on names like ****, Di Maria and Benzema as substitutes already has a starting XI way ahead... they simply were soundly beaten... Real play the most physically rough football in La Liga... it works against teams like Barca and others because they prefer to play with less contact, but against German teams ideas like that wont work. Barca lost because simply they were not upto it, they are lacking fresh ideas and drive plus overt Messi dependence is a huge factor and its showing now...

Bundesliga is actually more like the EPL... it has Bayern getting the trophies most of the time with other clubs like Schalke, Leverkusen, and in the few seasons with Klopp... Dortmund. So EPL really isnt that competitive either... its ManU most of the time... and other clubs thrown in some of the time...

Real didnt use their prized asset? a team which brings on names like ****, Di Maria and Benzema as substitutes already has a starting XI way ahead... they simply were soundly beaten... Real play the most physically rough football in La Liga... it works against teams like Barca and others because they prefer to play with less contact, but against German teams ideas like that wont work. Barca lost because simply they were not upto it, they are lacking fresh ideas and drive plus overt Messi dependence is a huge factor and its showing now...

I meant prized assets as Ronaldo lol

I wouldn't say now Germany. I know it's highly likely that it's going to be an all German final but Dortmund will be torn apart during the summer. Gotze is already known to be going to Bayern & according to his agent Lewandowski is off to. Bayern will always be about but the rest of the teams need to keep hold of there players.
https://www1.skysports.com/football...wski-agrees-Borussia-Dortmund-exit-says-agent

It's looking more & more likely that the so called Special One & Falcao are heading to Chelsea
https://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8670710/Falcao-backed-for-Chelsea-move

I agree although they are getting very close. I think you will find next season the english sides being very strong again.
City will probably spend a billion as they lost they're title and im scared of the thought of Mourinho back at chelsea as he will turn them into a different animal.
United imo would have got past Madrid if it wasnt for the ref and with a few additions and players like smalling and jones getting experience, they will still be a force.

I must say I like the Dortmund manager :) funny guy and has built a class team playing excellent football.

Real didnt use their prized asset? a team which brings on names like ****, Di Maria and Benzema as substitute see already has a starting XI way ahead... they simply were soundly beaten... Real play the most physically rough football in La Liga... it works against teams like Barca and others because they prefer to play with less contact, but against German teams ideas like that wont work. Barca lost because simply they were not upto it, they are lacking fresh ideas and drive plus overt Messi dependence is a huge factor and its showing now...

I wouldn't say that since 2001 there's been 4 different EPL winners

Arsenal 1
Man City 1
Chelsea 3
Man Utd 6

La Liga have 3

Valencia 2
Real Madrid 4
Barcelona 5

Bundesliga have 5

Werder Bremen 1
Wolfsburg 1
Stuttgart 1
Dortmund 3
Bayern Munich 5

If anything the Bundesliga is the most competitive & La Liga is the less

I agree although they are getting very close. I think you will find next season the english sides being very strong again.
City will probably spend a billion as they lost they're title and im scared of the thought of Mourinho back at chelsea as he will turn them into a different animal.
United imo would have got past Madrid if it wasnt for the ref and with a few additions and players like smalling and jones getting experience, they will still be a force.

I must say I like the Dortmund manager :) funny guy and has built a class team playing excellent football.

I really like Dortmund. It's a shame there about to lose some of there class players. It would of been cool to see them grow as a team. If Mourinho does leave Real I can imagine Klopp being one of there top targets.

I hope they go on to win the Champs Lge

Instead of showing the grit and determination that past teams had United crumbled for 15 minutes after the sending off and that was all Real needed.

If they had gotten through that game they'd have been given the same treatment that the German teams gave their Spanish counterparts, maybe even worse.

United will not reach another CL final again under Ferguson, let alone win it.

Last edited:
i still think BPL is the most competitive and it is getting even tougher, United had kinda freakish season this year with such a huge difference in points,
every year there are basically same four teams favourites to win the title, though recently man city have overtaken Liverpool and Arsenal are a but behind as well, , but even then Chelsea, CIty and United are fav at the beginning every season In case of La liga and german league, its 2 teams, and 1 team respectively
as soon as a team does well in bundesleiga, bayern goes and buys their best players.

i still think BPL is the most competitive and it is getting even tougher, United had kinda freakish season this year with such a huge difference in points,
every year there are basically same four teams favourites to win the title, though recently man city have overtaken Liverpool and Arsenal are a but behind as well, , but even then Chelsea, CIty and United are fav at the beginning every season In case of La liga and german league, its 2 teams, and 1 team respectively
as soon as a team does well in bundesleiga, bayern goes and buys their best players.
Again your lack of watching other leagues show... tell me how much time you watch the EPL and how much do you devote to the Liga or Bundesliga in comparison... I dont blame this judgement because the EPL is definately the most watched league over the world thanks to its viewer friendly kick off times AND fantastic marketing...

Because you see Mid table EPL teams give tough times to the top level ones doesnt mean things like this is exclusive to the EPL... Barca/Real specially Barca have matches where they have to toil like crazy to win... even from relegation threatened teams... and its been only this season that Bayern has been that devastating (the result of their resentment in losing the Champions League to Chelsea in the manner they did) they didnt even celebrate on the day they won the league... or else unlike other times Bayern are pretty much the ManU of Germany...

in the La Liga... better a Big 2 than an 'Only One'... and honestly La Liga was not just about Real and Barca... Valecia specially once had a stranglehold... however in the last 3/4 years with barca's ascent and Real's crazy cash throwing to buy players who can give them their 'European Domination' has led a result where both teams have elevated themselves much over the others...

But that also will end soon...

how can u call a league competitive when most matches in the 2 leagues end 4-0, 5-0..
i think most of bayerns recent matches ended up them scoring over 4 goals,..
again Im not talking in terms of quality but that the matches In bpl are tougher ,physically and mentally as well.

I think Nani's red card was crap! Even The Special One knew who the better team was that night, Man U should have been thru to the quarter finals. And didn't Chelsea win the UEFA Champions League 2012? Not to shabby for an EPL team.

I know ManU struggled in the midfield and on the wings but they still won in spite of all that, Vidic's return had a lot to do with the defensive turn around this year, one of the best to play the game IMO.

Last edited:
I think Nani's red card was crap! Even The Special One knew who the better team was that night, Man U should have been thru to the quarter finals. And didn't Chelsea win the UEFA Champions League 2012? Not to shabby for an EPL team.

I know ManU struggled in the midfield and on the wings but they still won in spite of all that, Vidic's return had a lot to do with the defensive turn around this year, one of the best to play the game IMO.

This past week the top German sides tore the best of Spain apart.

Barcelona wiped the floor with United TWICE.

Real Madrid picked them off easily during a 15 minute spell where United lost the plot.

So I think it's reasonable to say that United would have been destroyed even if they had managed to get past Real.

Winning a league in which they had no sustained competition is a massively false indication of where they stand in the wider scheme of things and the uncomfortable truth for many United fans is that they're not even close to being among the best in Europe.

I'm not saying ManU would have beat one of the two remaining German teams, I think it's going to be an all German final this year.

I watched both legs of ManU and RM and I'm not sure where you get "easily picked off", until Nani got the crap red card and they went down a man it was ManU's series (even Jose agreed).

Barcelona wiped the floor with a lot of teams on their way to the Champions League titles in years past, so I not sure what that proves.

The league that ManU won this year has the current UEFA Champions League Champs in it so that speaks very well for them.

Not sure why you have to drive down ManU so hard every time someone post about them, I'm not saying they are the best of all times or in the world, just wanted to share/celebrate a little with other ManU fans that also happen to share my other favorite hobby. I'm a fan of the game, ManU is my favorite team and have been for years, but I also watch/follow Tottenham, Real Madrid and AC Milan.

My intrest in the Champions League ended with United's exit so I couldn't care less who's in the final :lol

Chelsea won the CL a year ago which has no relevance on this year's league campaign.

They, along with City and the other top contenders should be embarrassed that they let such a poor United squad win it so easily.

As for why I'm hard on United it's because I want to see them become THE team in Europe but the manager seems to think he can do it by persisting with the same crappy bunch of players.

Winning the league is old hat, they've been there and done that so many times in recent years, but winning a Champions League in a decisive manner is something Ferguson has never managed.

That would be an achievement worth shouting about.

Last edited:
how can u call a league competitive when most matches in the 2 leagues end 4-0, 5-0..
i think most of bayerns recent matches ended up them scoring over 4 goals,..
again Im not talking in terms of quality but that the matches In bpl are tougher ,physically and mentally as well.
have you considered that the so called competitiveness maybe not because all the teams are getting close in quality to each other not by improving but rather because the top teams in the league are losing the plot over time?
In that logic the I-League is the most competitive league, let alone the BPL...

and as for Chelsea being champs etc etc... yes, and to quote the so called Special One 'Only a domestic League Win tells you what the quality of a team is - Knockout tournaments cannot judge the quality of a team, you can have a couple of bad days, bad calls and suddenly you are either champions or knocked out'
We all know how Chelsea became champs... lets not get into that... they did show their quality as 'Champions' in the subsequent season though...

like corsair's reasoning about winning a CL being 'dominant', is the key word here. The reason teams like Barca now inspite of not being the CL winners in 2010 or 2012, were still considered the de facto best team in that period... you become no. 1 not just by the trophies you win, but how you totally show yourselves to be much ahead of the pack...

Sir Alex is a Legend in my book, but I agree he has let the midfield become very weak the last several years without addressing it, and the winger have fallen out of form this year for sure.

have you considered that the so called competitiveness maybe not because all the teams are getting close in quality to each other not by improving but rather because the top teams in the league are losing the plot over time?
In that logic the I-League is the most competitive league, let alone the BPL...

and as for Chelsea being champs etc etc... yes, and to quote the so called Special One 'Only a domestic League Win tells you what the quality of a team is - Knockout tournaments cannot judge the quality of a team, you can have a couple of bad days, bad calls and suddenly you are either champions or knocked out'
We all know how Chelsea became champs... lets not get into that... they did show their quality as 'Champions' in the subsequent season though...

like corsair's reasoning about winning a CL being 'dominant', is the key word here. The reason teams like Barca now inspite of not being the CL winners in 2010 or 2012, were still considered the de facto best team in that period... you become no. 1 not just by the trophies you win, but how you totally show yourselves to be much ahead of the pack...

Chlesea and City were undone by poor planning and signing,,
Chelsea and City have the most talented starting 11 but where they went wrong this season is not having good enough back ups
in chelseas case , it was a matter of fixture congestion , they were playing around 3 matches a week travelling all around the world,
Inpsite of that, they are 3rd in league, reached the semis of both carling and fa cup, in the europa cup semis as well,
they have virtually played almost all the matches a club in europe could play except for the Carling cup and Fa cup final.. so how are they doing bad,,?
true , they performed poorly in the UCL, but again it was to be expected ..after last years win took its toll on the players, they just were not up for it mentally
ABout City, again it was more due to poor signings, they started doing poorly in the league in December when Yaya and Kompany had to miss games, even Silva missed some games, they had no decent back up players, its completely their own fault,
Admist this take a look at United squad, apart from RVP and Rooney who maybe a class apart from rest of the squad, they hardly missed anyone due to injuries or suspensions, they could change 9 players without actually weakening their squad,and so they could play their Pl matches at the full intensity, unlike Chlesea who must have dropped a lot of points this season in the last 15 min in many of their games this seasons, it speaks volumes for Fergies planning and I agree wit what u said abt Jose, Cups are not a indication of the best team/Squad and that is wat i said earlier this season, that United will walk the league this season but will prob lose out on the cups..
Fergie spend a lot this season on players like RVP, kagawa, Powell, Zaha ..but apart from RVp, none has made that much of an impact and no one is questioning the big money spend on the other 3 players as well, we will prob see the 3 other players making their impact on the league in mayb 3 -4 years , only Fergie could get away spending money like that , he is doing a fine job by keeping a large squad enough to challenge for the league and at the same not disrupting the balance of the side..

If United hadn't bought RVP they would be fighting for 3/4 spot right now.

History will look back as this being one of the weakest teams to win the PL.

Chelsea and City have the most talented starting 11 but where they went wrong this season is not having good enough back ups
in chelseas case , it was a matter of fixture congestion , they were playing around 3 matches a week travelling all around the world,
Inpsite of that, they are 3rd in league, reached the semis of both carling and fa cup, in the europa cup semis as well,
they have virtually played almost all the matches a club in europe could play except for the Carling cup and Fa cup final.. so how are they doing bad,,?
true , they performed poorly in the UCL, but again it was to be expected ..after last years win took its toll on the players, they just were not up for it mentally
I wont say anything about City because honestly they have talent but they lack cohesiveness...

Chelsea... all that you said, really shouldnt be a factor as such. The difference between a 'great team' and 'one which won a championship' is exactly that... previous UCL winners too had tough schedules like that. Barca faced a grilling schedule like that and won everything not once but twice 09 and 11... it is EXPECTED of Champions to do well in every tournament so I dont see stuff like that as an excuse...

and poor performance in the UCL was expected as last years win took its toll!! What kind of excuse is that!! A team which loses desire/steam to fight to remain champions are not a great team... they are just one which managed to win a cup... thats it... Champions are always hungry...

Back