English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he's much improved since then.

Fair enough.

I think in some ways he was unlucky at United as he started well but made a few costly mistakes in his second season and once Van Der Sar was signed he realised that he was never going to be a regular and had to leave.

I still can't believe Fulham managed to sign Van Der Sar from Juve & kept him for as long as they did. It wasn't often you see Van Der Sar make a mistake, great goalie

I still can't believe Fulham managed to sign Van Der Sar from Juve & kept him for as long as they did. It wasn't often you see Van Der Sar make a mistake, great goalie

In 2008/09 he kept 21 clean sheets and at one point went 1,311 minutes without conceding in the league which was a world record....it may even still stand.

Easily United's best goalie since Schmeichel.

De Gea can get up there but as soon as he really starts to make his mark as an international I expect Real or Barcelona will entice him back to Spain.

In 2008/09 he kept 21 clean sheets and at one point went 1,311 minutes without conceding in the league which was a world record....it may even still stand.

Easily United's best goalie since Schmeichel.

De Gea can get up there but as soon as he really starts to make his mark as an international I expect Real or Barcelona will entice him back to Spain.

Yeah maybe but I cant imagine Real paying out much on a Goalie not when there blowing there whole budget on the next big thing. Goalie's are the least of Real's priorities :lol

Maybe Barca but again they'll have to meet Utd's inflated valuation which they probably won't do but only time will tell.

Fair enough.

I think in some ways he was unlucky at United as he started well but made a few costly mistakes in his second season and once Van Der Sar was signed he realised that he was never going to be a regular and had to leave.

Yeah I'd agree when Van Der Sar arrived he was the easy #1. I just thinks now at this moment I can't think of many keepers in the EPL I'd take over Howard. I think Howard has the top club skill(he does make lazy plays now and again though), I just think the diffrence is some of the keepers on the top clubs appear better cause of the talent the top clubs surround them with.

Man I just see the Altidore goal that wasn't was for Sunderland. Arsenal's defending was pretty poor today. Arsenal need to replace Sagna, he's not the player he was anymore.

Here's the highlights
[ame]https://youtu.be/V82FNDPaKEU[/ame]

Yeah maybe but I cant imagine Real paying out much on a Goalie not when there blowing there whole budget on the next big thing. Goalie's are the least of Real's priorities :lol

Maybe Barca but again they'll have to meet Utd's inflated valuation which they probably won't do but only time will tell.

Defending in general doesn't seem to be on either club's priority list :lol

De Gea was born in Madrid and started with Athletico so it would seem reasonable to expect he'll want to return home eventually.

Hopefully not for a few years yet though as United are short of quality in other areas without needing to find another new goalie.

RVP's Dad claims a clairvoyant predicted big things for his son,
https://www1.skysports.com/football...bin-van-persies-future-was-predicted-says-dad

bumblebee,
Certain players definitely get hyped up just because of the club they play for or their nationality.

Joe Hart is a classic example. He's made no end of mistakes in the last couple of years yet our media have given a relatively easy ride because he's the England no 1 and playing for a team that's a relative newcomer in terms of being able to challenge for trophies.

I'm actually glad the media have given Hart any easy ride because as a goalkeeper Hart is still a very young player. Goalie's seem to be at there best when there in there 30's so Harts got a long way to go yet. England had some potentially good Goalies coming through behind Seaman but the media crucified them & they never recovered. De Gea had a hard time & was making mistakes but he's now getting better & better & he to is still just a kid, even for an onfield player. Good thing for Utd fans is that he seems to have nothing but praise for Utd & publicly states his commitment when being linked to any other clubs. Other than Ronaldo it's quite rare to see a 1st team Utd player pushing for a move away.

Problem you have when your a Goalkeeper is that if you make one mistake it's so magnified, they definitely need to be thick skinned & man they get abused by opposition supporters. I used to go watch Arsenal & Spurs play at home quiet a lot & would 9 times out of 10 be sitting behind the Goal some of the stuff that would get shouted at them & they can hear it all so clearly & there's no escaping it either. There definitely the unsung hero's of football, you will never see one win the ballon d'or

It was expected, Ronaldo is at the moment the only reason and so called 'rival star' that Perez has to placate the Real Madrid fans. And after buying Bale have you read the fake news they put out in their Madrid newspapers? That ManU supposedly put a 150m bid for Bale but Bale wanted to come to Real so chose the 100m bid instead.
https://as.com/diarioas/2013/09/14/english/1379159356_717938.html

Which I call Bull because if ManU had that kind of Money they wouldnt be making feeble bids for Fabregas and Thiago the whole season but have easily bought Ronaldo. Quite quite easily.

Real Madrid have a great history no doubt... the legacy of extravagance which is now being emulated by Chelsea, ManCity, PSG and Monaco.

BTW Bale scored on his debut... and Neymar looked more impressive than Messi in Barca's match. Messi's only moment in the whole match besides his goal was his run and dribble past a maze of defenders to set up Alexis Sanchez's winner in injury time.

https://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/liga-ronaldo-renews-real-madrid-contract-082513840--sow.html

It is done, pack your bags kids, we're going on a feel trip.

EDIT

Oh, my bad, the original text was written by MARCA. Waiting for Ronaldo to come out now and repeat what he's said for the past year, "All the news about my renewal with Real Madrid are false,".

EDIT

Alright my bad guys, he really did sign the contract until he's 33 by which then he will be useless as Welbeck. He mentioned at the end of the interview that the past is past and something about how he'll never forget Manchester United , idk something cheesy like that. As a united fan through and through i have to admit this hit me pretty hard on the chest and its definitely a tough pill to swallow. I think the Moyes factor really influenced his decision.

Last edited:
A quick look at the money United are making from the various sponsorship deals, TV money, merchandising and gate receipts makes a mockery of any suggestion that United couldn't afford Ronaldo.

Last edited:
A quick look at the money United are making from the various sponsorship deals, TV money, merchandising and gate receipts makes a mockery of any suggestion that United couldn't afford Ronaldo.

Yeah Utd can afford Ronaldo but aren't dumb enough to waist that kind of money on him. Ronaldo isnt even that young now for a football player, he'll be 29 in Feb, he's in his prime now but give it a few years there will be a better player else where & much younger, it's how it is in football.

Yeah Utd can afford Ronaldo but aren't dumb enough to waist that kind of money on him. Ronaldo isnt even that young now for a football player, he'll be 29 in Feb, he's in his prime now but give it a few years there will be a better player else where & much younger, it's how it is in football.

Would be interesting to see what he'd go for if he left at 29 and still top 2 in the world. Id still expect him to fetch allot.

Your right though. Slightly different comparison but Eto although probably not fit, looks a shadow of what he was.
When your game is based around blistering pace, you sometimes have to make changes as you get older as the legs just arent there anymore.
Owen was a prime example and quite clever in how he adapted.
In juries unfortunately finished him.

It was expected, Ronaldo is at the moment the only reason and so called 'rival star' that Perez has to placate the Real Madrid fans. And after buying Bale have you read the fake news they put out in their Madrid newspapers? That ManU supposedly put a 150m bid for Bale but Bale wanted to come to Real so chose the 100m bid instead.
https://as.com/diarioas/2013/09/14/english/1379159356_717938.html

Which I call Bull because if ManU had that kind of Money they wouldnt be making feeble bids for Fabregas and Thiago the whole season but have easily bought Ronaldo. Quite quite easily.

Real Madrid have a great history no doubt... the legacy of extravagance which is now being emulated by Chelsea, ManCity, PSG and Monaco.

BTW Bale scored on his debut... and Neymar looked more impressive than Messi in Barca's match. Messi's only moment in the whole match besides his goal was his run and dribble past a maze of defenders to set up Alexis Sanchez's winner in injury time.

Totally agree. On the flip side, there is no way Levy would forget about the "other" millions just to please Bale.

There's a big part of me that wanted United to do it but that kind of money could be better utilised over the longer term as it would pay for several other players.

I just hope that the new chief executive has learned from his mistakes and doesn't make the club look so stupid during any future transfer windows.

There's a big part of me that wanted United to do it but that kind of money could be better utilised over the longer term as it would pay for several other players.

I just hope that the new chief executive has learned from his mistakes and doesn't make the club look so stupid during any future transfer windows.

:exactly: like look at the Spurs squad now after investing the Bale money.

My only worry for Utd is there got an ageing squad & do need to bring players in. I still can't believe they weren't in for players like Ozil or Eriksen. There's still plenty of players about though like Draxler, he looks like a star in the making. He won't be cheap but nowhere near Ronaldo's price point & far younger.

Back