Everything iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can talk myself into it (I know me) I will hold out for the 6. I love the 4 and does everything I need. It would be nice to have a larger screen. Some are claiming the 5 will be slightly larger. Although I can't see them doing that because of having to make all new accessories. Who knows? :dunno

Question for all iPhone owners: If I was to get the 4G now, but wanted to upgrade if and when the new one comes out, what is the typical upgrade fee?

And do I need to send back the 4G in order to upgrade or do I keep it?

Question for all iPhone owners: If I was to get the 4G now, but wanted to upgrade if and when the new one comes out, what is the typical upgrade fee?

Hey Mike! :wave

Usually your eligible for the discounted prices after about one year? But if you get the iPhone 4 now you will most likely either get a partial discount or pay full retail price. My advice, wait until the 5 comes out.... If not just get the 4 now :D you don't have to send in your old phone, just keep it or sell it on craigslist :) (that's what I always do)

The iPhone 5 will come out in June-July (a new model always does). If you get the iPhone 4 now, you will have to pay full price for the newer model this summer (likely $600-$700). I believe it takes 18 months before you get a new phone for the upgrade price. It may also be that you after so many months you can get a new phone for a price that is between the upgrade price and the full price. My advice it so merely wait until June-July and buy the new model when it comes out.

Oh an no, you don't have to send the older model in to upgrade to the newer model. Once bought, it is yours. Might as well jailbreak it and have some fun.

By the way, keep in mind that while the iPhone 4 is sometimes called the 4G, it will not work on the 4G data network...only 3G. It is merely the fourth generation iPhone.

The iPhone 5 will come out in June-July (a new model always does). If you get the iPhone 4 now, you will have to pay full price for the newer model this summer (likely $600-$700). I believe it takes 18 months before you get a new phone for the upgrade price. It may also be that you after so many months you can get a new phone for a price that is between the upgrade price and the full price. My advice it so merely wait until June-July and buy the new model when it comes out.

Oh an no, you don't have to send the older model in to upgrade to the newer model. Once bought, it is yours. Might as well jailbreak it and have some fun.

By the way, keep in mind that while the iPhone 4 is sometimes called the 4G, it will not work on the 4G data network...only 3G. It is merely the fourth generation iPhone.

Thanks for info, Zeiss!! :rock

Definitely good to know. You may just talked me into waiting...

Ok, so now I have a question! How come I got the iPhone 3GS when it came out and I was still eligible for the full discounted price on the iPhone 4 somehow? I'm pretty sure you're eligible for an upgrade after 18 months, but it was only 12 months when I got the iPhone 4....?

Ok, so now I have a question! How come I got the iPhone 3GS when it came out and I was still eligible for the full discounted price on the iPhone 4 somehow? I'm pretty sure you're eligible for an upgrade after 18 months, but it was only 12 months when I got the iPhone 4....?

They offered an early upgrade I believe last year.

The time between when you upgraded. A year before the iPhone 4, AT&T swore up and down that it wasn't coming. To save face they offered early upgrades (and to get people into new 2 year contracts). For example in July my year one will be done. For the iPhone 6 in July 2012, I will be up again and switch then. Rumors are that they next capacity upgrade to 64MB won't happen until the 6 anyway.

Ah.... Well that makes sense... I know the "early upgrade" now only offers a PARTIAL discount. I just checked with AT&T and it says I'll be eligible for a full discount in November of this year.

I'm thinking that the iPhone 5 won't be that much different to justify the upgrade :dunno

Ah.... Well that makes sense... I know the "early upgrade" now only offers a PARTIAL discount. I just checked with AT&T and it says I'll be eligible for a full discount in November of this year.

I'm thinking that the iPhone 5 won't be that much different to justify the upgrade :dunno

Some idiots might or will (looks in the mirror). :wave

But no it probably won't be worth another $300 or whatever.

Us in a cell phone support group would be no damn good. :horror

We would both have 3 or 4 phones with multiple carriers and plans. :lol

3953833698583cfb73cc.jpg

:rock:rock:rock:rock

The time between when you upgraded. A year before the iPhone 4, AT&T swore up and down that it wasn't coming. To save face they offered early upgrades (and to get people into new 2 year contracts). For example in July my year one will be done. For the iPhone 6 in July 2012, I will be up again and switch then. Rumors are that they next capacity upgrade to 64MB won't happen until the 6 anyway.

That's quite a downgrade. :(

:lol

I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. I probably won't upgrade until the 6th or 7th iPhone.

I will probably upgrade my iPad around then as well. Especially if they introduce a higher resolution screen.

I will probably upgrade my iPad around then as well. Especially if they introduce a higher resolution screen.

The iPad 2 rumored for March is supposed to basically be a iPhone 4, with all the bells and whistles save the actual phone.

Not sure if this was mentioned here, but apparently Verizon doesn't support simultaneous data and voice.

Not at the time, they are said to have it early this year. Thats what makes that Hot Spot kinda pointless
until that get it.

I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. I probably won't upgrade until the 6th or 7th iPhone.

This is how I usually do it. I just got a new iPhone 4. No need to upgrade for at least another year for me.

Back