Everything iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article....

So with all this iPhone hype, I really got caught up in all the nostalgia of the original iPhone. I actually went hunting for one on Craigslist and I actually landed a 16GB original iPhone from a local buyer for $40!!!!! :horror

Great condition and mint condition accessories. I love the body style of the original.

I read that over the past several months (maybe as much as the last year, but I don't know for sure), he knew that his time was coming, so he worked very hard to complete a 4 year product roadmap for the company. It will be very interesting to see what kinds of things he had in mind.

I've often wanted to track down the first original iPod just for nostalgia purposes. I had one that some scumbag stole.

So can someone explain icloud to me. It's not like Amazon's cloud where you actually have a place you can go and look and see what's in it? I've got it turned on on my ipad2 and everything is updated in my itunes on my pc. Everything I put in my itunes on my pc is supposed to show up on my ipad2 right? Or does it have to be official downloaded from itunes only music that has been purchased? Nothing I added today is on my ipad2 is what I'm getting at. What gives?

So can someone explain icloud to me. It's not like Amazon's cloud where you actually have a place you can go and look and see what's in it? I've got it turned on on my ipad2 and everything is updated in my itunes on my pc. Everything I put in my itunes on my pc is supposed to show up on my ipad2 right? Or does it have to be official downloaded from itunes only music that has been purchased? Nothing I added today is on my ipad2 is what I'm getting at. What gives?

A I don't think I like it and B you only get 5 gigs for free. Anything above that you have to pay for.

Yeah but is there some place I can access it, or is it whatever is in my itunes library? Why is nothing synced up, do I have to do something special (the video just shows ____ popping up on your devices)?

Right, you can't backup a full phone with what they give you. Second, you have to have streaming turned on to all devices. So while you have the iCloud if you didn't turn on the autoDL or even the Photostream, nothing happens. Now the iCloud is in beta right now so all the functions aren't up and running but eventually you'll be back to back up everything on your phone both official Apple purchases, unofficial and otherwise.

The music industry apparently isn't too thrilled about the easy workaround for music to be stored via iCloud and then synced to any device signed into Apple ID but it's apparently coming.

I setup my photo stream today, that works well - basically go into settings on your iPhone or iPad and go to iCloud and then enable photo stream there

Now go to your PC or mac, go to the iCloud software and setup which folder you want to sync photo stream to

Once done, any pics you take with iPhone or iPad will automatically show up in the designated folder on your PC or mac

I have no damn clue how to do this with music and videos though

I'm just talking sync between pc and ipad2. I want to be able to drag and drop an album into my itunes on my pc and then go pick up my ipad2 and have that ____ waiting for me. ____ ain't happening and I've got it all turned on.

You have to have it set to sync wirelessly and back up via iCloud. Unless you have full GB bought via iCloud it won't do anything at least that is what I've come to understand via the Apple forums. Photostream works until you hit 5GB of data and then it crashes but also Photostream bricks out every 30 days so if you don't save the photos on your iOS5 device into a folder it'll disappear from the Photostream folder.

The music industry apparently isn't too thrilled about the easy workaround for music to be stored via iCloud and then synced to any device signed into Apple ID but it's apparently coming.

They should be thanking apple

The way I see it, iCloud effectively will be able to monetize illegal downloads

Let me explain:
- say I have some illegally downloaded music in my iTunes
- I get iCloud and choose to backup and sync all of my music on iCloud
- now what apple actually proposes is that everything in your iTunes library will get scanned and for music that is available on iTunes, it will simply match this to its database and assign that track to your iCloud database, so it's now available on all your apple devices
- your music library will not actually be uploaded into the cloud, but matched - unless there is music that doesn't exist on iTunes in which case that will be uploaded
- now if you have illegaly downloaded music that is getting matched, you are in effect laundering your 'dirty' unpaid for music and replacing it with official iTunes tracks, and paying an annual fee to be able to do this
- a portion of that fee will go to the music industry to represent their royalties on these matched tracks

So in effects this should create a revenue stream for the industry out of illegally downloaded music if the icloud concept takes off

Alright here we go:

iCloud will right now only back up officially purchased iTunes content. Click on "Purchased" in iTunes on your device and you'll see a cloud icon appear:

bucket_cloud20110606-100x100.png

I just did it. It'll sync whatever is officially purchased from your PC to your mobile devices.

For stuff NOT iTunes purchased you need to go iTunes Match:

If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.2

Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are more than 20 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices. Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

Yeah, I did that a while back with a couple soundtracks I had DL it brought them from my mac to my iphone without me hooking it up.

- your music library will not actually be uploaded into the cloud, but matched - unless there is music that doesn't exist on iTunes in which case that will be uploaded
- now if you have illegaly downloaded music that is getting matched, you are in effect laundering your 'dirty' unpaid for music and replacing it with official iTunes tracks, and paying an annual fee to be able to do this
- a portion of that fee will go to the music industry to represent their royalties on these matched tracks

The price base is $24.99 right? so if I have 24 songs then $1.00 per song no problem. I have a buddy who has 8,500 songs on an External HD the majority on his iPod. It's all on iTunes. So if he does this then he pays .3 for each song (unless my math is off). What portion is going to the labels from that? I guarantee you there are massive pirates out there with hundreds upon thousands of songs, there a folks who DL just for the sake of it, now their collection will go "legit" for the most part and they can even toss out the illegal versions and the music industry has really nothing to say or do past that.

Back