Everything iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit I haven't been following the rumors, but what is the 5 going to add to really make it stand out from the 4S? The only things that I could think of would be a 4G, a bigger screen and more memory (aside from the completely cosmetic differences, of course).
Depending on the carrier you are getting "4G" it has HSPA+

The 5 is going to be the design we have all been seeing and we're expecting to be released instead of the 4S.

The 5 with have a bigger screen, new design, longer battery life, improved internal hardware. All upgrades from the 4S.

The 5 will also be out in less than a year; so honestly if you have a iPhone4 right now, you should wait until early-mid next year and get the 5.

Siri is great, but it's worth it to wait for the iPhone5 if you can. Now if you never had an iPhone before go ahead and get a 4S, I am primarily speaking to those who currently own a iPhone4.

From what I can gather here is the deal with the iPhone 5. It was supposed to be a "teardrop" design with wider screen (no rim around - edge to edge glass it which is why iOS5 includes the gestures functionality. Word was they were trying to eliminate the home button as well. It had all the same internal components as the 4S for the most part except the rumored Bluetooth 4.0 tech which didn't come to pass on the 4S.

There were cases already being manufactured in China for this phone which leaked the net and then were never heard from again. The thought is that Steve Jobs made it abundantly clear with Apple his health status and that the end was near. Knowing that Apple's next release would be overanalyzed as the first without Jobs, they held off on the iPhone 5 in order to release it in 2012 and give themselves 2 years lead on what would be real Jobs-less product to be released in 2013. It does seem logical that Apple would give themselves more time by simply repackaging the iPhone 4S just making sure the components were upgraded and then give a new design with more refined versions of what it announced next year and save themselves the trouble.

Also from what I read, the next iPhone will hit next July (predicted) to return the cycle and capture all of those whose contracts are out from the iPhone 4 jump.

Also from what I read, the next iPhone will hit next July (predicted) to return the cycle and capture all of those whose contracts are out from the iPhone 4 jump.

I still don't understand why I could upgrade my 4 with no problems? I got mine on launch day. :dunno

Well, there are some strange anomalies in carrier contracts right now. I'm on AT&T, and I bought my last phone on New Year's Eve last year (i.e., 10 months ago), but my eligibility for upgrade is on Christmas Eve this year. My wife bought her latest phone at the same time, but her upgrade date is July of next year. So maybe I'll get myself a 4S for Christmas, and then get my wife a 5 in July. Sounds like fate. :)

BTW, neither of us are iPhone users right now.

From what I can gather here is the deal with the iPhone 5. It was supposed to be a "teardrop" design with wider screen (no rim around - edge to edge glass it which is why iOS5 includes the gestures functionality. Word was they were trying to eliminate the home button as well. It had all the same internal components as the 4S for the most part except the rumored Bluetooth 4.0 tech which didn't come to pass on the 4S.

There were cases already being manufactured in China for this phone which leaked the net and then were never heard from again. The thought is that Steve Jobs made it abundantly clear with Apple his health status and that the end was near. Knowing that Apple's next release would be overanalyzed as the first without Jobs, they held off on the iPhone 5 in order to release it in 2012 and give themselves 2 years lead on what would be real Jobs-less product to be released in 2013. It does seem logical that Apple would give themselves more time by simply repackaging the iPhone 4S just making sure the components were upgraded and then give a new design with more refined versions of what it announced next year and save themselves the trouble.

Yeah, I surmised the samething and posted this in the Steve Jobs is Dead thread...

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I wonder if there is any correlation between the iPhone 4S announcement / iphone5 non-announcement on 10/4 and Jobs' death yesterday. Just wondering if Apple has the iPhone5 ready and that they purposely withheld the announcement because the board knew of Jobs situation.

Any pictures of the tear drop design? Is it supposed to be similar to the curved design of the 3 and 3G? I've held off on getting an iPhone; the GF has one and wants to upgrade, and I'm really tempted to get the 4S right now instead of wait. Although I do like the current rectangular design.

The 5 is going to be the design we have all been seeing and we're expecting to be released instead of the 4S.

The 5 with have a bigger screen, new design, longer battery life, improved internal hardware. All upgrades from the 4S.

The 5 will also be out in less than a year; so honestly if you have a iPhone4 right now, you should wait until early-mid next year and get the 5.

Siri is great, but it's worth it to wait for the iPhone5 if you can. Now if you never had an iPhone before go ahead and get a 4S, I am primarily speaking to those who currently own a iPhone4.
Yeah, I'm in the "never had one before" group (see above :)), but from what some people have been saying, all of the internal upgrades that the 4S got are the same as what the 5 is getting (other than possible 4G, and it sounds like BT 4.0 might be in there as well).

And yes, I've read about the 4S getting 4G-like performance, but the specs still say it is "3G", don't they?

I still don't understand why I could upgrade my 4 with no problems? I got mine on launch day.

AT&T for example will give an upgrade at 1.5 years, 1 year without discounted pricing. I got an alert from AT&T when the 3GS came out that if I wanted to upgrade I could for different discounts (higher than new costumers but still lower than non) and I called and they simply agreed to give me renewal pricing. I didn't take it but my thought was that AT&T wants me in a contract so they'll bend the rules here and there to get me there.

Any pictures of the tear drop design? Is it supposed to be similar to the curved design of the 3 and 3G? I've held off on getting an iPhone; the GF has one and wants to upgrade, and I'm really tempted to get the 4S right now instead of wait. Although I do like the current rectangular design.

Edge to edge
iPhone-Air-03-e1311878917262.jpg

iphone-5-air-3.jpg

iPhone-5-air-concept.jpg

It's all conceptual as Apple refuses to admit a 5 was even in planning at this point but I'm sure we'll see more after the new year. Even these designs aren't official but people putting together what they know from "leaks" and rumors to give an idea. Apples could go the opposite way for all we know.

I still don't understand why I could upgrade my 4 with no problems? I got mine on launch day. :dunno
AT&T has this new early upgrade thing so you can upgrade after i think a year with another 2 year contract. I know they told me I was up for upgrade when I went to switch from broken 4 to 3gs and apple woundnt do anything for me since it was 1 year and 6 days

Well, there are some strange anomalies in carrier contracts right now. I'm on AT&T, and I bought my last phone on New Year's Eve last year (i.e., 10 months ago), but my eligibility for upgrade is on Christmas Eve this year. My wife bought her latest phone at the same time, but her upgrade date is July of next year. So maybe I'll get myself a 4S for Christmas, and then get my wife a 5 in July. Sounds like fate. :)

BTW, neither of us are iPhone users right now.

The weird early upgrade thing is only for Account holder not sub accounts.

i'm not sure....All I know is every time I upgrade to a new iphone I've had no problems with eligibility. I upgraded my wife's 3g to 4gs today but she had gone 2 years so I knew there was no problem. I could have upgraded as well today too but I chose to just stick with my 4.

Last edited:
Playing around with it, Siri is sweet, but the camera isn't that big of a difference. You won't be able to tell to the naked eye. Now the video cam I haven't uploaded yet to my computer to see the quality. Hopefully that will be a big difference.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Makes sense now, though. My phone is the "account holder" on our family plan. Is that something new? I don't remember being eligible this quickly before.

I think it started when 4 came out. They figured out they can keep getting new contracts forcing people to adopt new plans by letting them get new phones.

Said ____ it and wandered into a Verizon store. Walked out with my white whale.

Now I need to figure out WTF to do about this Radio Shack gift card thing... :monkey4

That's perfect! My work phone's contract is up next March. If that happens I know what I will be getting. :rock

Only that one will be FREE! Well to me anyways. :lol

Yeah, my contract is up in February so that wouldn't work great.

I wonder if my discount will apply to the iPhone 5 When it comes out ??

Should if you decide to wait.

Wait now that I think about it. Why can't you upgrade? I got my 4 on launch day and was able to upgrade today. Didn't you get yours on launch as well?

I don't know. They just told me I couldn't even when I pushed it and said I would have to pay $650 for the 64gb.

I admit I haven't been following the rumors, but what is the 5 going to add to really make it stand out from the 4S? The only things that I could think of would be a 4G, a bigger screen and more memory (aside from the completely cosmetic differences, of course).

It should have all the things the 4S has plus a different design which would just make it even more worth it for me to get.

Are these the same sites that reported the 4S would be "teardrop shaped" with an "edge to edge screen"? :lol

I don't believe the 4s was ever reported to be that design just the 5. The site which I linked in this thread seems like they've got a pretty good idea on when the 5 will come out next year.

It wasn't. The 4S was supposed to be an iPhone move but cheaper than the 5 to get everyone to move up one. Essentially I believe the larger size was not originally supposed to be in the 4S but that the 4S was to have only 16GB to get everyone to buy iCloud storage. Obviously a lot of things changed but it should make next summer more interesting.

That's what I thought. Yeah, I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more about the 5. It sounds like any month from March-June is when this will be announced. So really since I have to wait and the features I want will be on the 5 it worked out for me.

Might consider iPhone 5 if they one go back to normal size sim card and make an factory unlocked version. If not I will stick to a true world phone.

Back