Everything iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still happy with my Moto Droid, even though it's not the best phone on the block. :D

I think the Evo looks better than the Droid X and would probably hold in the hand better. Also, the Evo has a front facing camera and 4G.

I should append my shopping list. I want:

Verizon's coverage
Sprint's 4G
And an Evo or iPhone (the one with 4G that exists only my mind :lol )

I don't think I'm asking for too much here. :rotfl

Hmmm I didn't notice there was no front facing camera. You can't go wrong with the Incredible then. Verizon, camera, and is pretty much an iPhone. :dunno

Outside of just before this new Iphone came out I've only dropped maybe a handful of calls ever with either my Iphone, 3G, and so far none with this.

Outside of just before this new Iphone came out I've only dropped maybe a handful of calls ever with either my Iphone, 3G, and so far none with this.

I think I have a crappy connection at home. I can replicate the signal bar loss trick at home by holding the bottom. All the bars disappear. At work I can't do it at all. :dunno I checked my area and I have 3g speed. So I called at&t and they said they have had a few towers down. I'm willing to tough it out a bit longer and see if it gets better. I LOVE the phone itself. Honestly it's the best phone I've had EVER. And it sure is purdy! :rock I'm still going to try to exchange mine. I have a pixel out and it bugs me. I can only see it if I stick my face up to the phone and angle it just right. But it's an "I know its there" thing. :lol

Man I was ready to jump onto the iPhone 4 wagon last week, but I can't on principle buy a piece of hardware that has a known defect, I just can't do it. I really really want one. Oh well, sticking with the 3GS until the next iPhone 4 hardware update won't be so bad.

As for Apple's pseudo-apology this morning, I feel like it's nothing more than a very clever business tactic to obfuscate the real problem until the refund/returns period is over for many folks.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

WTF? :duh :slap :gah:

I think I have a crappy connection at home. I can replicate the signal bar loss trick at home by holding the bottom. All the bars disappear. At work I can't do it at all. :dunno I checked my area and I have 3g speed. So I called at&t and they said they have had a few towers down. I'm willing to tough it out a bit longer and see if it gets better. I LOVE the phone itself. Honestly it's the best phone I've had EVER. And it sure is purdy! :rock I'm still going to try to exchange mine. I have a pixel out and it bugs me. I can only see it if I stick my face up to the phone and angle it just right. But it's an "I know its there" thing. :lol

There are areas around here we call dead zones. Where you see things like that. Really odd and you just hope you never get stuck in that area and need to make a cal.. :lol

I am not really surprised to hear the misrepresented signal strength. I do really doubt it was Apples doing more like AT&T having them do that to make things look better for them.

Who has purchased the Bumper? I have a love/hate relationship with it. I have always had my iPhones "naked", just with the Invisible Shield and nothing more. With the iPhone 4 I feel I need the protection to keep the glass safer plus the Invisible Shield tends to make it sticky depending on the surface I lay it down on and since it has a flat back it is a little harder to pick it up.

I love the simplicity of the Bumper, the two tones color (in my case black). Hate that my car charger doesn't fit anymore as the 30-pin connector is not 100% exposed, enough only for the Apple charger. Also, the headphone I use does not fit anymore as the headphone hole is somewhat covered as the connector port is.

I guess I have to start buying adaptors or simply remove the Bumper and go commando again.

Luis

The funny thing is with my 3G I used to drop calls all the time. With my 4 I've been on the phone a few times and walked around my house never losing any reception. :dunno:

Who has purchased the Bumper? I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I considered getting a bumper but I love the phone looks naked that I can't seem to get myself to buy a case. My wife dropped the phone twice yesterday (hers) and once it even bounced a couple of times with no damage so....I'm going to take the risk and just leave my anti-glare screen and nothing more.

I considered getting a bumper but I love the phone looks naked that I can't seem to get myself to buy a case. My wife dropped the phone twice yesterday (hers) and once it even bounced a couple of times with no damage so....I'm going to take the risk and just leave my anti-glare screen and nothing more.

Me too, I love how the iPhone looks naked.

So no scratches at all after your wife dropped it? That might make me reconsider a commando iPhone.

Decisions, decisions.

Luis

What kind of surface did your wife drop the phone on? I'm curious because I've seen people broken iPhone 4 already, and I really wouldn't wanna have a busted piece already :slap

Plus the phone "naked" seems to be very slippery since it's all glass. So for now, I have a black phone with a black bumper, and I think it looks baller :cool:

Not had any issues w/ dropped calls and I, "knock on wood", hope not to anytime soon, being a Verizon convert. I like the bumper personally, gives me a little better grip on the phone because before I had it I had to "catch it" a few times trying to pick it up.

Me too, I love how the iPhone looks naked.
So no scratches at all after your wife dropped it? That might make me reconsider a commando iPhone. Decisions, decisions.
Luis

Not one. It looks brand new. My wife being the clumsy type we immediately looked for cases but she didn't like any. We'll see how long it lasts but if anything she'll take a bumper over a case.

What kind of surface did your wife drop the phone on? I'm curious because I've seen people broken iPhone 4 already, and I really wouldn't wanna have a busted piece already :slap
Plus the phone "naked" seems to be very slippery since it's all glass. So for now, I have a black phone with a black bumper, and I think it looks baller :cool:

She dropped it on carpet and then it bounceds onto marble and nothing but the initial shock was taken by the carpet. She dropped it onto the hard wood frame of a rocking chair and it bounced off onto the carpet and dropped it, fumbled off of her knee onto the floor (carpet) and still not a scratch. A black bumper I would consider but I'm thinking Green...kind of a Green Lanterny kind of thing....but right now it looks great naked so we'll keep it naked until something else occurs. Plus a buddy of mine cracked his 3GS screen and bought a replacement and the tools from eBay, fixed it up perfectly so we might just use him if something goes awry.

I like the bumper personally, gives me a little better grip on the phone because before I had it I had to "catch it" a few times trying to pick it up.

Yeah, that is the only thing that the bumper provides a better grip but it just doesn't look as cool IMHO with it on. We'll see, I might be posting next week that I have a bumper on mine because my wife busted her's. :lol

Waiting on my black bumpers. Love it naked but want to try the bumpers.

As for Apple's explanation on the antenna signal, sound like BS to me. I haven't had any issues with mine yet and think it's really blown out of proportion but for Apple to say they were "stunned" at the issue...come on....there is a reason they are selling the bumpers now.

I hate it when companies make up BS like this.

I love this phone and have had less dropped calls. Highly recommended. Played with a friends EVO and hated it. Big, slower than the 4, and just looks dated already.

Yeah my dad and two brothers have Evo's and seeing them and the iPhone together makes me glad I went the route I did. I just love the simplicity and elegance of Apple.

Back