GDB Studios, Hollywood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GDB's Godless Creations

Check out the finished figures for the Martys and Docs I painted! I am speechless! I'd quote more pictures (really the newspapers and other accessories are mindblowingly cool!) but I don't want any confusion that all I did paint the heads and hands but, man alive, the attention to detail and the meticulousness of this project is amazing! Check out more in this thread! https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75883

114-1.jpg

120.jpg

117.jpg

Last edited:

Aw yeah! The BTTF 3 ones look so great! They're all great but I love those the most!

Those are my favorite as well, saintsyn! Kgrhoad really did something impressive with these guys!

If people haven't checked out the rest of the BTTF figures, I highly recommend it. I know Kelly's BTTF thread has been somewhat derailed thanks to the jealous cattiness of this board, (and of people wanting to keep reqouting a post that was deleted by the mods for a reason) but it's well worth checking out!

Thanks for all the kind words about Marty and Doc. Kinda sucks my thread was hijacked by that troll, but most people have been pretty positive about my customs. Let me know if you ever end up painting up Spenser's Marty and Doc heads. I would be interested to see how your style translates to a different sculpt of the same character.

You know, 1985 Marty was my favorite and I spent FOREVER trying to get the outfit right (He has had 4 different vests at one point or another) but now that they are all done, I think 1885 Marty is my favorite as well.

Will do. I'll hook you up with a painting discount if the time comes that you want to swap the heads out, but I am loving the look of them as they are now.

The 1885 pair are really outstanding. The other sets are amazing as well but there's a certain something in that old west set.

Thought I'd mention my Sawyer special in this thread. To celebrate LOST and the fantastic sculpt that Nek has done of Sawyer, (link) I am offering a discounted price for people who get the head to me before June 7th! PM for details. :)

A friendly bump!!! :)

Now that Nek74's Sawyer sculpts are shipping I anticipate many a pic on this thread! Can't wait Brent! :D

Thanks for that. Yes, many a pic of our man Sawyer. :hi5:

Hey gdb,

I have a quick question for you: your painting looks really nice except for one thing I've noticed in a few pieces. Sometimes the eyes have a reddish tinge to them, making them look sort of bloodshot. I was just wondering if that was the camera or maybe a trick of the light? I don't see that on your Locke or Aragorn, but see it on the Mal and the BTTF ones. Just wondering. Still look very impressive!

Hey gdb,

I have a quick question for you: your painting looks really nice except for one thing I've noticed in a few pieces. Sometimes the eyes have a reddish tinge to them, making them look sort of bloodshot. I was just wondering if that was the camera or maybe a trick of the light? I don't see that on your Locke or Aragorn, but see it on the Mal and the BTTF ones. Just wondering. Still look very impressive!

Thanks, man. :) I am all thumbs when it comes digital photography at this level. It is seriously another skill altogether. I'm not sure I even have the vocabulary. But the pinkish of the inner lower eye lid and the redder pink of the pink corner of the eye (the caruncle?) sometimes gets picked up in the camera and artificially spills over on the whites of the eye photographically. But in person, they don't look bloodshot.

Last edited:

Here's my first attempt at Sawyer as sculpted by Nek74:

bc5882b6.png

b41503cb.png

fea20139.png

c26c2f09.png

It is a beauty of a sculpt. A lot of subtlety and a lot of thinking makes up this eye-catching head. My job as painter was to try to bring that out and complement it and to not get it its way.

Thanks for that, everyone! I suspect that's not the last Sawyer to appear in this thread.

Hi Brent, a few suggestions based on scoping the net a bit for images.

(1) I think the goatee needs to be darker, as does at least the underlaying of the hair - perhaps a dark wash over the hair to leave the highlights but darken the overall look ?

sawyer_lost.jpg
b41503cb.png

(2) The skin also looks a little too bronzed to me. Most of the photos I saw have a noticable contrast between the skin and the hair. That said - this could be just the hair being too light making the skin look too dark.

425.Mitchell.Holloway.021709.jpg
fea20139.png

Looking forward to see what you do with this sculpt :)

Back