Statue Gentle Giant 18" Black Widow - Winter Soldier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got mine the other day from BBTS and I have to agree with most of the sentiments on this board. I'm more of a "reader" of the forums than a "poster" and I've been pleased with the reviews of this piece as well as the pictures I've seen. I must say that as a big fan of Scarjo, I've been waiting for a good representative piece in my collection of her and I clearly think this is it. As many others have mentioned the likeness, paint applications, pose and overall execution of the piece is impressive. As with most collectibles, the pictures and videos do a good job of illustrating this sentiment, but can't quite match seeing it in person. It truly is an amazing piece and likely almost immediately my faviorite statue. I'm more of a 1:6 collector, and own a few PF's and other GG statues, but this one is truly well done. I've collected a lot of Gentle Giant pieces over the years (primarily mini busts) and they have been hit and miss over the years particularly with their human likenesses, but when they hit a home run they really knock it out of the park, which I believe they've done here.

My only two "concerns" with mine are that one of the guns does not fit smoothly into the holster...I heated it up a bit as other have suggested and it mostly fits, but I've been careful to work it in and haven't gotten it to fit perfectly for fear of breaking a piece of the holster. I think it'll work though. I'm also concerned with the end of the rifle barrel, it doesn't seems like it would take much to snap it off so I'm somewhat paranoid about accidently catching this on something. I wish the barrel were just a bit thicker.

Other than that, I'm very glad that this turned out as well as it did since I preorded it almost a year ago hoping the production pieces would come out as well as the prototype.

I finally got mine the other day from BBTS and I have to agree with most of the sentiments on this board. I'm more of a "reader" of the forums than a "poster" and I've been pleased with the reviews of this piece as well as the pictures I've seen. I must say that as a big fan of Scarjo, I've been waiting for a good representative piece in my collection of her and I clearly think this is it. As many others have mentioned the likeness, paint applications, pose and overall execution of the piece is impressive. As with most collectibles, the pictures and videos do a good job of illustrating this sentiment, but can't quite match seeing it in person. It truly is an amazing piece and likely almost immediately my faviorite statue. I'm more of a 1:6 collector, and own a few PF's and other GG statues, but this one is truly well done. I've collected a lot of Gentle Giant pieces over the years (primarily mini busts) and they have been hit and miss over the years particularly with their human likenesses, but when they hit a home run they really knock it out of the park, which I believe they've done here.

My only two "concerns" with mine are that one of the guns does not fit smoothly into the holster...I heated it up a bit as other have suggested and it mostly fits, but I've been careful to work it in and haven't gotten it to fit perfectly for fear of breaking a piece of the holster. I think it'll work though. I'm also concerned with the end of the rifle barrel, it doesn't seems like it would take much to snap it off so I'm somewhat paranoid about accidently catching this on something. I wish the barrel were just a bit thicker.

Other than that, I'm very glad that this turned out as well as it did since I preorded it almost a year ago hoping the production pieces would come out as well as the prototype.

:goodpost: Congrats! :clap:clap

I've been too chicken to put her pistols in the holsters. I tried to put one in (after repeatedly exhaling on the lower region of the statue to warm it up) and as soon as I got resistance said "nope" and set the guns at her feet. I'll try again sometime soon but for now I'm enjoying her with two unbroken holsters. :)

Did you luck out DS? Good for you.

michael-bolton-office-space.gif

;)

I've been too chicken to put her pistols in the holsters. I tried to put one in (after repeatedly exhaling on the lower region of the statue to warm it up) and as soon as I got resistance said "nope" and set the guns at her feet. I'll try again sometime soon but for now I'm enjoying her with two unbroken holsters. :)

Trust me, I only tried it because I had been reading others having issues and wanted to see where I stood. I probably spent 30 mins on this last night when it didn't go in at first. I used a hairdryer a few times to "warm" it and then ever so carefully tried to work it in (I'm sure there's a "that's what she said" joke in there somewhere)....with my palms probably sweating the whole time, LOL. After my work was complete I took them both out and placed them back in the box for now having realized I didn't want to push my luck any more for the evening!

When I went to put the pistols in her holsters I had some resistance on one and not the other...so I switched them around and they both went in with no problem. I think I just lucked out. :D

You know, I thought of doing this and ultimately didn't so perhaps I'll try switching them around once I work up the courage to try it again. I had to place her back in the box while I work out a place for display so hopefully in the near future I can try it again. Thanks for the tip DS!

Does anyone know how much GG uses their 3D scanning technology for their statues? Are we to believe that ScarJo literally posed for a computer rending, holding a rifle with one knee up? Or would GG have just done a scan of her face and then scuplted the body and pose for release as a collectible? As hot as ScarJo is the figure does seem somewhat idealized.

Does anyone know how much GG uses their 3D scanning technology for their statues? Are we to believe that ScarJo literally posed for a computer rending, holding a rifle with one knee up? Or would GG have just done a scan of her face and then scuplted the body and pose for release as a collectible? As hot as ScarJo is the figure does seem somewhat idealized.

GG was bought by 3D Systems which does the 3D scanning for many Hollywood studios. This statue was indeed derived from a real 3D scan of ScarJo done by 3D Systems, although they may only be using reference models that weren't specific to this particular statue project.

3D scan of her face or head to toe? And would the actress herself have just been standing in a neutral position with her arms at her sides and then GG just uses her dimensions as reference while hand sculpting a statue? I guess I'm curious not just for this statue but all collectibles that claim to use real scans of actors.

They probably had a scan of her in costume in one or more neutral poses in various resolutions. The pose is almost certainly a creation after the fact.

They probably had a scan of her in costume in one or more neutral poses in various resolutions. The pose is almost certainly a creation after the fact.

That's what I would have guessed. Her face appears spot ON from all angles but her figure seems to be tweaked to match her photoshopped poster look.

My understanding is that the statue is derived from real 3D digital scan data of Scarlett in her full Winter Soldier costume, head to toe. I agree with Kamandi that this statue is a CG artist's rendition of the character done separate of the actress' scanning session and doesn't necessarily come from specific poses done by her during that session. I believe this statue was designed and created digitally prior to hand sculpting. 3D Systems does 3D printing too, although I don't know how much of the figure was done by hand or not.

You know, I thought of doing this and ultimately didn't so perhaps I'll try switching them around once I work up the courage to try it again. I had to place her back in the box while I work out a place for display so hopefully in the near future I can try it again. Thanks for the tip DS!

It's worth a shot! :) :duff

Back