Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vader & Leia should arrive at my house today -can't wait!

I think it's the photography -but the C-3PO looks off to me. The vac-met that is. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hmm, I was planning on buying R2 but something is definitely off. Are these vacmetallized or not? Any confirmation?

The whole series is financially a complete rip off, but it appeals to the hearts of nostalgy childhood heads ...
I'd have bought the stomie only, but I thought and still think more than 80US$ would be nonsense ...

R2's dome does look a little sketchy, and I've never really been a fan of the vintage figure. I also don't know why he's $5 more than C-3PO, who looks better and should be bigger. C-3PO looks chromed and pretty much identical to the original, but the finish seems uneven -- dull in places and shiny in others. It might just be the photos.

The new lighting that GG is using for dramatic effect, sucks big time. I think it hides a lot of the details they are known for. S'why the R2 and CPO have people scratching their heads.

Still no reason that R2 should cost more than C-3PO.

I can't find the pictures I saw yesterday, but it was close-up pictures of C-3PO's leg with the copyright information and the paint was completely dull. Their pictures are not consistent, so there's no telling what he's going to look like.

I can't find the pictures I saw yesterday, but it was close-up pictures of C-3PO's leg with the copyright information and the paint was completely dull. Their pictures are not consistent, so there's no telling what he's going to look like.

You are right. If you look at the advertisement there are 2 pics that show what looks like spray paint and a 3rd that looks like vac-metal.

"This deal is getting worse all the time!" -Abraham Lincoln

I decided to cancel my outstanding preorders on these things. I'm just not happy with the scale issues and unclear what the droids will look like. I may just cherry-pick from this line.

Good news today! Big thanks to Greg and Rob who quickly got me a replacement Vader figure! It came in great condition and was mint! It even seems they listened to my request to put in the cardboard sleeves that ensured the safe delivery of my Stormtroopet and Boba Fett! Thanks GG!

I will say one thing in defense of Gentle Giant when it comes to the scale issues: they state right there on the back of each package that the average figure (Luke, Leia, Han, etc) would be 12" tall and the two taller characters (Vader & Chewie) would only be 12 & 1/2" tall. So, yeah, the heights are off, but they did tell us how tall each figure is going to be...

- J

Like most things, GG drags their feet. That's why nothing turns out like they say it will. They can't even pack and ship these correctly, what makes us think the figures themselves will be right? GG needs to back off the weed. :thud:

Like most things, GG drags their feet. That's why nothing turns out like they say it will. They can't even pack and ship these correctly, what makes us think the figures themselves will be right? GG needs to back off the weed. :thud:

In their defense they sent me out a replacement right away for my damaged Vader and Boba Fett and Stormtrooper came perfectly packaged with cardboard inserts, peanut shells, etc.

The scale while on the back of each card should of been fixed or better communicated.

I didn't get any extra packaging on my replacement Han. GG's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

I didn't get any extra packaging on my replacement Han. GG's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

I talked directly with Rob who packaged my 2nd Vader and requested the cardboard inserts that came with my Fett/Stormtrooper and sure enough they were there!

They need to stop being hot and cold and get back to more communication (even if it's bad) to keep us updated and make their release schedule closer to actual shipping dates. Don't leave people out in the dark!:lecture

Neither one looks great. And why is R2 $5 more than 3PO?

b4VrI.png
WIm5A.png

I still don't understand why people like these so much. Nostalgia only goes so far for me. Especially at $80 a pop. To each his own, I guess.

Back