Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here!

That is a hilarious remark my friend. :rotfl If you want vintage, then go and buy vintage. In 3"3/4 scale the vintage line is superb. No need for oversized weird looking monsters like these. If I want 12" then I buy 12" Hot Toys, Sideshow, Takara, or even Medi figures or Gentle Giant statues. It's like looking with a microscope on your face, and besides the wrinkles you can see all the microbes and germs living on your skin. No need to see the inevitable imperfections of the 3" vintag lines translated into a 12" line. Plus they are way overpriced

Comparing an piece of plastic with germs and microbes :clap
I already have all vintage figures for about 20 years, loose, carded and 12 inch, so no need to buy those again and these GG jumbos are perfect companions to those.
The nice thing about the GG Jumbo line are that they show the vintage figures as they are just bigger, and what you call imperfections is all I want.

I also do not see why these are compared to fully ariticulated 12 inch dolls (or statues) that is like comparing apples and oranges two very diffrent things.

I also do not see why these are compared to fully ariticulated 12 inch dolls (or statues) that is like comparing apples and oranges two very diffrent things.

Hey, Mr. Fail newb, don't be dumb. These are 12" action figures or "dolls." So comparing them to Sideshow's 12" Stormtrooper action figure is entirely relevant. They're exactly the same genre, only one is a lot of value packed into $90, and one is a hollow, gimmicky POS overpriced at $80.

Comparing an piece of plastic with germs and microbes :clap

It was a metaphor ;) And if you like them I'm not going to stop any of you. The problem lies in the less quality on the traditional GG products like busts and statues, and many said it is because of these new lines GG tried again and again, now including the Vintage 12". Remember the Classic busts and Kustomz lines?

These are 12" action figures or "dolls." So comparing them to Sideshow's 12" Stormtrooper action figure is entirely relevant. They're exactly the same genre, only one is a lot of value packed into $90, and one is a hollow, gimmicky POS overpriced at $80.

Agreed! :exactly:

Hey, Mr. Fail newb, don't be dumb. These are 12" action figures or "dolls." So comparing them to Sideshow's 12" Stormtrooper action figure is entirely relevant. They're exactly the same genre, only one is a lot of value packed into $90, and one is a hollow, gimmicky POS overpriced at $80.

An action figure and an doll are two diffrent things, you can say what you want and start namecalling to give your humble opionion strenght ( lol) but thats just what it is.

It was a metaphor ;) And if you like them I'm not going to stop any of you. The problem lies in the less quality on the traditional GG products like busts and statues, and many said it is because of these new lines GG tried again and again, now including the Vintage 12". Remember the Classic busts and Kustomz lines?

The 2 Jumbo that has been released so far do not suffer from any "less" quality then the GG lines you mention, it would have been nice if Lando and Slave Leia bust had been this accurate ;)

I have the only two Jumbo released in my collection, many of the opinions about these posted are from persons who only have seen an photo of these and never had any interest in these at all.

The 2 Jumbo that has been released so far do not suffer from any "less" quality then the GG lines you mention, it would have been nice if Lando and Slave Leia bust had been this accurate ;)

My point exactly, Gentle Giant is going on too many lines and thus letting their original products like busts and statue have bad sculpts because now their interest being these new 12" figures... They are playing on too many fronts and something must be lost, and unfortunately the losing parts are the busts and Leia & Lando busts and the Clonobi statue are perfect example.

I wouldn't mind the new Vintage line, if GG would have kept the quality products we were used to - just look at their Stormtrooper bust, Tarkin bust or Dewback, Kneeling Vader and Rancor statues.

An action figure and an doll are two diffrent things, you can say what you want and start namecalling to give your humble opionion strenght ( lol) but thats just what it is.

They are the same thing.

This "doll" started the term "action figure".

g-i-joe.jpg

I keep forgetting newbs know more than us collectors who've been collecting for longer than they've been alive. So please newb, enlighten me on why the Sideshow 12" action figure is a doll, and why this GG 12" Stormtrooper is not.

Before you do this, understand, the term "Action Figure" was nothing more than a marketing gimmick given to G.I. Joe 12" dolls in the 50's to make them more appealing to boys.

I keep forgetting newbs know more than us collectors who've been collecting for longer than they've been alive. So please newb, enlighten me on why the Sideshow 12" action figure is a doll, and why this GG 12" Stormtrooper is not.

Before you do this, understand, the term "Action Figure" was nothing more than a marketing gimmick given to G.I. Joe 12" dolls in the 50's to make them more appealing to boys.

I keep forgetting that 'Nam instantly had 15,000 posts and was automatically granted immediate credibility throughout the entire collecting community when he first signed up...

Oh, and there was no G.I. Joe in the 50's. Consider yourself officially "enlightened". :nana: :lol

For the record, I "get it". They have a sort of pop art appeal...y'know, removing the subject from it's usual context so we can appreciate it in a new light. They're kitschy. I personally don't feel the need to own $80 worth of rotocast kitsch, but I get it.

Love ya 'Nam! :duff

For the record, I "get it". They have a sort of pop art appeal...y'know, removing the subject from it's usual context so we can appreciate it in a new light. They're kitschy. I personally don't feel the need to own $80 worth of rotocast kitsch, but I get it.

:lecture Couldn't have said it better myself. As a matter of fact, I can totally see these being full 1:1 scale with the mold seams and all, in a gallery in SoHo, selling for $10K each. Can you picture yourself walking among these figures in full life size scale? Pretty cool.*

They're fun, I'll give them that. But I just don't see them being $80 of fun. They are essentially a pop art statue, which makes sense coming from GG.

I still think they could have been just as effective at 6" to 9" scale, at like $20 a pop. They would be scaled up enough to get a better appreciation for the details of the originals, but wouldn't break the bank for these one-trick ponies.

*Holy _____! That is a ___ing brilliant idea! Make full scale versions of children's toys!!! Maybe just have them be monochrome so they are more like "art" objects. Kinda like Jeff Koons and his balloon animals. I can make millions!:yess: Although I would be surprised if someone already hasn't thought of it.

I keep forgetting that 'Nam instantly had 15,000 posts and was automatically granted immediate credibility throughout the entire collecting community when he first signed up...

Oh, and there was no G.I. Joe in the 50's. Consider yourself officially "enlightened". :nana: :lol

Love ya 'Nam! :duff

It has nothing at all with me being the "expert" and everything to do with some newb coming in here and telling us all we've had it wrong since the beginning. And you're right, 60's, but you get the gist. They're both action figures. They're both "dolls." Labeling one something else as a means to "justify" it over something else is retarded. But nonetheless, you said it best in your last sentence. ;)

Really, though. Wouldn't it be Dev Gilmore? Vice President of Product Development at Gentle Giant Studios?

His name is, like, right there. :monkey3

Yeah, I just noticed that myself. :slap

I was just wondering who handed me my Stormtrooper figure at C5 for free. :wink1::wave:nana::monkey3

:lol
I keep forgetting newbs know more than us collectors who've been collecting for longer than they've been alive.

20.000 posts in two years on an forum doesn't make someone instantly more knowledgeable then others, seems more like someone with nothing to do but post all day.
I am also amazed by your knowledge of my age and collecting habits by the few posts I made here.

I do not see myself proclaming to be the know-it all and never said these are better then SS 12 inchers, they are something else.
I am just saying I like these GG Jumbo's a lot and I see these as one of the nicest collecting lines in recent years, and do not deserve all that negativity these seem to be getting here. And for some reason that is something you have an problem with.

I still think they could have been just as effective at 6" to 9" scale, at like $20 a pop. They would be scaled up enough to get a better appreciation for the details of the originals, but wouldn't break the bank for these one-trick ponies.

I agree, and I probably would have loved those too.
Love that idea of an lifesized vintage figure, I would get at least one of those :yess:

Whenever a SW line comes out that no one cares about you never hear anything about it. Do see Nam stating over and over how lame SW Transformers are? No, because no one cares. But everyone loves these GG Jumbo figures, not everyone can afford them, so those that can't have to go on and on and on about how overpriced and hollow and stupid they are to justify not having them on their display shelves. Yeah right guys. :lol :nana:

Back