Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Godzilla is a developed character. I haven't seen PR yet but from what I understand, those are just Kaiju from another world, they're not atomic
mutants, they're not a metaphor for the atomic bomb. Godzilla is more than just a monster, as is King Kong. I haven't seen Cloverfield, but knowing Abrahms, I can't imagine that creature had much defining of what it is and development as a character.

The most enduring and beloved creatures in film are because of characterization, it's not enough just to have a neat design. Hell, you hardly see any detail of the Alien onscreen and it's one of the most treasured creatures in Sci-Fi because it was developed, same with Predator. What boggles me is how fans can see such a basic notion but it eludes filmmakers, it's not that hard to understand.

Godzilla is a developed character. I haven't seen PR yet but from what I understand, those are just Kaiju from another world, they're not atomic
mutants, they're not a metaphor for the atomic bomb. Godzilla is more than just a monster, as is King Kong. I haven't seen Cloverfield, but knowing Abrahms, I can't imagine that creature had much defining of what it is and development as a character.

The most enduring and beloved creatures in film are because of characterization, it's not enough just to have a neat design. Hell, you hardly see any detail of the Alien onscreen and it's one of the most treasured creatures in Sci-Fi because it was developed, same with Predator. What boggles me is how fans can see such a basic notion but it eludes filmmakers, it's not that hard to understand.

MF, you hit the nail on the head.

Origin truly is everything.

Still amazes me that the actors in G54 personally experiened the dropping of the 2 nukes on their country just a mere 9 years earlier.

In PR when they showed from where the Kaiju eminated, it was ok, another dimension, what's next.

Cloverfield's mysterious origin was handled better and was more intriguing than PR.

What PR had going for it was the message of hope (after such a hopeless MOS it was a breath of fresh air), the effects and sheer size of the robots and Kaiju.

What worked against PR was the darkness and filming too close to the action which at times didn't allow their designs to be appreciated.

Why is anything G related just cooler than PR.

Sorry PR, but G is where its at.

I liked pr but godzilla would kill those jaegers and the characters in pacific rim were so damn cliche and boring. I was in it for the monster fights.

MF, you hit the nail on the head.

Origin truly is everything.

Still amazes me that the actors in G54 personally experiened the dropping of the 2 nukes on their country just a mere 9 years earlier.

In PR when they showed from where the Kaiju eminated, it was ok, another dimension, what's next.

Cloverfield's mysterious origin was handled better and was more intriguing than PR.

What PR had going for it was the message of hope (after such a hopeless MOS it was a breath of fresh air), the effects and sheer size of the robots and Kaiju.

What worked against PR was the darkness and filming too close to the action which at times didn't allow their designs to be appreciated.

Similar can be said of those in '84 being right I'm between the U.S. and Russia during the Cold War tensions.

I love that an actor from Gojira and many sequels will make a cameo in G2014.

Similar can be said of those in '84 being right I'm between the U.S. and Russia during the Cold War tensions.

I love that an actor from Gojira and many sequels will make a cameo in G2014.

And this new movie is coming out with the Cold War resurgence between the USA and Russia. :panic:

It's like Rambo 3 all over again. :rotfl

But instead of the Afghan backdrop, its now Syria.

US arming the Syrian rebels (mujahideen) to fight the Russian backed Puppet Syrians.

The more things change.........

They're coming out with a big 'quarterscale' figure (so 18 inches or above), and some memorabilia. That's it. Jakks Pacific has the rights to smaller toys.

I'm looking forward to seeing that. My only purchase of a 1/4 scale figure is the Neca P1 Closed Mouth Jungle Hunter and I have the Neca Keaton '89 Batman on PO so it looks like Godzilla may be added to the collection.

Cheers for the info.

Here's the breakdown as we know it right now:

BANDAI America is the official, main toy maker for the movie.

NECA is licensed to produce unspecified collectibles but has confirmed on Twitter that an 18" Godzilla is planned.

JAKKS Pacific will be making a 30" scale like their superhero and Stat Wars figures.

And this new movie is coming out with the Cold War resurgence between the USA and Russia. :panic:

It's like Rambo 3 all over again. :rotfl

But instead of the Afghan backdrop, its now Syria.

US arming the Syrian rebels (mujahideen) to fight the Russian backed Puppet Syrians.

The more things change.........

That's why I laugh when people act like there's no way to do. a modern Godzilla like Gojira, there's been not shortage of nuclear threats or scientific endeavors that could be used as the creation of him. In 1954 it was a stretch, today it's more real than we'd like.

The more options from the different toy makers then the better it is for us.

Indeed, to date Bandai America has often come out subpar to Bandai Japan. While they could do an awesome job with this movie, they've never shown they can and will have to prove myself and others who don't like them wrong.

NECA has a great track record so I'm crossing fingers for them to do multiple scale figures.

I don't care if the other monsters in the movie are cool or expendable, I'll only get Godzilla figures.

That's why I laugh when people act like there's no way to do. a modern Godzilla like Gojira, there's been not shortage of nuclear threats or scientific endeavors that could be used as the creation of him. In 1954 it was a stretch, today it's more real than we'd like.

Oh hell yeah, from massive oil spills to gas fracking, even Hedorah has reason to return. :rotfl

Oh hell yeah, from massive oil spills to gas fracking, even Hedorah has reason to return. :rotfl

I know they want to be a total reboot, but the Legendary film could be very powerful storytelling if it were a Gojira sequel dealing with
how Gojira was a warning to stop playing with atomic weapons and 60 years later, the world's refusal to listen spawned a new and worse threat, not just a new Godzilla, but a bigger stronger one and other mutations.

Godzilla + Anti-Nuke/War/Genetics Message = Awesome movies

Imagine this being Godzilla instead of a water tornado approaching the shore. :horror

Force of nature indeed. :panic:

picture.php

Id be curious to see Hedorah in a better movie, it'll never be a Ghidorah level villain but you could probably do more with it, that movie was just poorly done.

Back