Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Chip's Ric Shin look much better. Perhaps he uses hair-dryer process on it?

What's a good glue or adhesive to use on the gigantic ric neck gap? I tried so many things with the blow dryer and heating/freezing but i really want no gap

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Any glue for soft PVC will do. They are usually to put on both sides, let it dry 10-15 minutes and then put it together. Be careful though, the glue can damage the color very easily. And you have to take care that the gluey parts don't stick WITH each other before the parts fit gapless. The receiving part must be really squishy soft. I did that on my standart Gigantic Shin's tail - I was sweating blood because the parts did hold before the tail fit well. But got the job done.

Just got Citadel Colors for Games Workshop minis. I hope they will be good for my Ric. Will try it on the second head (on its inner side).
Wait do you mean leave glue on the neck seam and also on the head separately, wait 10-15 minutes then combine them?

Wouldn't it be better if I just put glue on the back of the head piece and pressed it firmly against the neck and held it there for a few minutes? ?

Best glue for vinyl is superglue. If the vinyl is warmed with a hairdryer the bond can be close to instant. They also sell accelerators that you can spray on the glue to set it instantly. You should be careful that if you do use an accelerant it could cause the glue to craze or turn a frosty white color. A lot of guys that glue vinyl kits will 'stitch' larger parts together by gluing a small section and working their way around the part with the glue doing a section at a time. You can use regular or the gel type. Just be careful with the regular because it has the consistency of water. You also only have to apply glue to one side not both. Another trick is to rough up the areas to join with some sandpaper so the glue has more to bite into.

c4d1390f05a32e5ca2cb904ec397a39d.jpg

^
^
That looks good! I don't think the back fins need rework though as it was very accurate to atomic breath scene.

I'll do touch-ups on mine this month. Hopes it turned out well.

To me, the only thing Kaiyodo has going for it is size and the fact it's a replica of the movie maquette, the pose is nothing special, some of the details are unique to the maquette and not the final movie model.

Like you say, both versions of the Gigantic Shin have a dynamic pose that really makes it shine in comparison.

^
^
I agree that Kaiyodo's pose is somewhat plain compared to X-Plus but still, it IS the movie maquette. It's the one. That thing was 3D scanned to create 3D model appears in the very movie. It's the very same one to this clip, down to very little bit of details:

Plus, the maquette itself truly appears in few scenes of the movie (1:04:40 and 1:36:29 for example). Also, those unique details such as fangs on the head/ excessive nails on the foot can be overlooked or painted over very easily.
To sum it up: It's the one to get if ones want to go 100% and able to do repaint/ touch ups. Otherwise, ones could go for X-Plus.

X-Plus' pose is more lively but also inaccurate. More like artist's reinterpretation of the creature (much like SWS Predator vs. Cinemaquette Predator). The pose is kinda wrong for regular edition but looks very good for Ric edition since it represents atomic-breath scene. Its legs are overly big and the tail is too short. Still an amazing Shin Godzilla statue though.

@chip, I may pose the pic of my Ric... probably after doing mini-repaint after having free time next week. :wave

I don't have the Kaiyodo, but as I am a stickler for accuracy, I would agree that it's the one to own. I snagged a Banpresto early on because I thought it was a pretty fair representation. Even though I have the RIC and I think it is great, it's not a good representation overall of what you see in the movie. Yes, it does match up closely with one lightning fast shot, but inaccuracies aside, that's not how you see Shin 99.9% of the time. He's basically a pinheaded toothpick of a beast that hardly ever deviates from a statue-like pose. Yes, you might get that I didn't like the movie or this incarnation of G, but I'm a huge G fan with probably close to 1,000 figures and models, so I think I'm being fair in my assessment. I don't believe in praising something simply because it looks good.

Kaiyodo is about 98% accurate, but from what I've seen, the paint job is true to the maquette but the definition of reds and black isn't as refined as the CGI model, and also, there are what look like teeth coming out of the top of the head which are not present in the movie model.

They have the most faithful sculpt you could get, though maybe Sakai's person 30cm kit, not the one for Banpresto, could rival it. The real quest for quality Shin products is finding a paint job that lives up to the movie render.

Shin Godzilla is hands down the most interesting and intriguing Godzilla easily since GMK if not beyond that. Since the initial teaser with his deformed footprint showed up, to the scene (might have been a deleted scene) where his detached spine was regenerating on it's own, to the concept art that came out recently that showed thousands of microorganisms coming together to create Godzilla's head. I love the mythology surrounding this guy so I'm very to have such an amazing figure of him.

I see both sides of the current debate you guys are having. The kaiyodo is jaw-dropping as well, but for me personally, the figure itself doesn't do it for me on a shelf. It looks great to photograph, but the Shin Godzilla design and static posture is creepy in films but looks dull on a shelf. It looks like it belongs in a museum.

Now the gigantic might be a pose taken from a 2 second shot in the movie, but it is a shot that is still authenticated by the film itself. I look at the figure and it looks like the movie almost exactly. Unlike the gigantic gmk, gigantic burning godzilla, gigantic godzilla 2000--this I can pull from a particular scene and say he's movie accurate as far as I can tell. I guess it comes down to preference. But when I look at the standard head of this figure, it matches the blu ray cover. It's not stylized in design, maybe just pose.
13c66b5d33c6e248411b7efd53fd14b4.jpg

When you get to size and price of gigantics and higher, presence feels as important as accuracy. For example, Chronicle did a breakout Rex statue and is also doing a 1:5 full Rex. The breakout is a smaller piece but dynamic, yet the 1/5 is a stoic maquette pose whose only appeal, like Kaiyodo Shin, is accuracy and being based off an actual film piece.

Just curious if anyone has seen a picture of the Bandai movie monster series Biollante yet? It's due to be released late March, but haven't heard anything since pre-order.

Yeah, steady hand and patience, that’s why it takes so long, and while the Bandai sculpt is quite detailed, it’s not sharply detailed so it is tricky to get precision in some spots.

There are other repaints on the web similar to the final result I’m aiming for and I’m sure an experienced painter could do it faster, but I want a piece I can be proud of and happy with for putting the effort in, so it’ll be worth it in the end.

Bright red color on Shin Godzilla can be achieved by brush, carefully painting bright red color on red-coated with surface. Also, the sculpts need to be detailed enough, like X-Plus', for things to shine. It isn't 100% movie red, none can't, because the original maquette isn't even THAT red but it's the closest thing when you see the color in person.
Also, dry-brushing Shin's skin with silver color will bring up much more details and make more layer to the paint.

Cheers!

Back