Guardians of the Galaxy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guessing this will be $110 million opening weekend- buzz and vibe on this is stratospheric..

Guessing this will be $110 million opening weekend- buzz and vibe on this is stratospheric..

No kidding, I mean look at how cute Rocket is :lol
py4u2adu.jpg

While it looks great, people who are not big comic book fans most likely had never even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before seeing the trailer.

The only reason I knew anying about this movie before seeing the trailer was because of this site.

While it looks great, people who are not big comic book fans most likely had never even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before seeing the trailer.

The only reason I knew anying about this movie before seeing the trailer was because of this site.

And thats the point of advertising. Not many people knew of Avatar before the trailers hit, it's kind of the whole point of having trailers.

And thats the point of advertising. Not many people knew of Avatar before the trailers hit, it's kind of the whole point of having trailers.

:exactly: and Marvel have had a great track record of putting asses in seats, sure its a relatively unknown property but I still expect it to do well mostly because of this

Marvel-1.gif

Well...it still has a ton of potential. It's not like anyone knew who Luke, Han, and Leia were till the movie came out.

The movie industry works a little differently today than it did 30+ years ago. Nowadays a movie needs to make most of it's money in the first 3 weeks, there are movies that buck that trend, but they are rare. Back in the day of Star Wars, which is still the second highest grossing domestic film when taking inflation into account, a movie could stay in theaters for months on end, and Star Wars was still playing in around 300 cinemas after 1 year. That doesnt happen today. Also, movies back then got multiple releases thanks to there being no home video market.

I'm not saying GOTG is definitely not destined for incredible receipts at the box office, but to compare it to Star Wars, Avatar or even Avengers is a long shot at best. Those movies were cultural phenomenas.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Avengers did due to name recognition.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Star Wars did due to apathy, in the days of digital cinema there just isnt a feeling of spectacle and the wow effect for special effects that there used to be.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Avatar did due to 3D burn out. Avatar was a case of right movie at the right time, 3D in it's current incarnation was new and exciting when Avatar was released.

I am sure GOTG will do quite well, but I think expectations should be taken down a few notches. It could be the next Avatar or Star Wars, but it probably won't be.

The movie industry works a little differently today than it did 30+ years ago. Nowadays a movie needs to make most of it's money in the first 3 weeks, there are movies that buck that trend, but they are rare. Back in the day of Star Wars, which is still the second highest grossing domestic film when taking inflation into account, a movie could stay in theaters for months on end, and Star Wars was still playing in around 300 cinemas after 1 year. That doesnt happen today. Also, movies back then got multiple releases thanks to there being no home video market.

I'm not saying GOTG is definitely not destined for incredible receipts at the box office, but to compare it to Star Wars, Avatar or even Avengers is a long shot at best. Those movies were cultural phenomenas.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Avengers did due to name recognition.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Star Wars did due to apathy, in the days of digital cinema there just isnt a feeling of spectacle and the wow effect for special effects that there used to be.

GOTG faces a tougher challenge than Avatar did due to 3D burn out. Avatar was a case of right movie at the right time, 3D in it's current incarnation was new and exciting when Avatar was released.

I am sure GOTG will do quite well, but I think expectations should be taken down a few notches. It could be the next Avatar or Star Wars, but it probably won't be.

Completely agree, this isn't gonna do 800+ million but it's also not gonna bomb. I reckon it'll do 500-600 million overall.

Completely agree, this isn't gonna do 800+ million but it's also not gonna bomb. I reckon it'll do 500-600 million overall.

Thats a good estimate, I can get behind that.
it at least has to do enough for Marvel to consider continuing its cosmic cinematic adventure

You seem to be an authority on humor. Makes sense, your Prometheus posts are comedy gold! :wacky

A lot of people are predicting a decent Box Office... I think it might be A LITTLE better than decent.
$700+ mill.

Back