Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a kids movie. :lol

Even if it was a kids movie, which it sure as hell isn't, what I'm asking doesn't change the tone of the movie in the slightest, it still remains as kid friendly as it is.

You are opposing to the idea of anticipation and build up yet you're totally fine with the death & destruction and the kaiju guts spreading all over... after all, "it's a kids movie." :lol

I'm not opposing to it, but I just don't think the story needed it. Kaiju = Bad. Must destroy bad things. Save human race. Win.

It was so simple. And that's what made it work. No need for origin stories. It was refreshing to see something that was made without a long buildup to nothing.

And killing monsters isn't something kids can feel bad for, because the monsters are bad. And they must be stopped. There's nothing morally ambiguous about it.

Even if it was a kids movie, which it sure as hell isn't, what I'm asking doesn't change the tone of the movie in the slightest, it still remains as kid friendly as it is.

You are opposing to the idea of anticipation and build up yet you're totally fine with the death & destruction and the kaiju guts spreading all over... after all, "it's a kids movie." :lol

He didn't say it was a Barney movie for toddlers, if you don't think this was geared at children/teens you must have seen a different version than I saw in the theatres. :dunno

I honestly didn't think, "awww, what a cute little girl"
All the time I was thinking "Holy **** that poor girl is getting chased by a ****ing monster the size of a building!! Run girl, run!!"
She was crying and scared ****less!! If that's not fear, then I do not know what it is... :dunno

:exactly: My thoughts exactly! :panic: :lol

My very minor gripe with the initial scene which apparently you blew out of proportion, is that the scene gives you a full view of the kaiju right from the start, there's no shock, no amazement, no excitement, it's just "oh look, that big monster is tearing up the bridge", I need build up, expectation.

The kaiju needed to swim a good distance to get to the bridge, what about a bit when a boat or a yate would move weird because of inusual big waves as the kaiju is passing beneath them, and it's occupants looking at each other in confusion? What about a kid in the back seat of a car that's going across the bridge sees something odd in the water approaching to them and says "dad, look" and the father ignores him or something and maybe even an old guy fishing that also sees like a spike of the back of the monster through the water....

Then the kaiju rising up from the water and people going :cuckoo: and THEN the kaiju destroying the bridge.

That's it, that's not going to permanently scar anyone and it would've made the initial attack scene MUCH more effective IMO-

i'd take that out in the final cut. boring bits. :dunno

that's like '98 godsilly all over again. :monkey1

i had this after thought after watching this movie.

would the world continue the way it was after the first kaiju attack??

hell, i wouldn't be going back to work for all i care.lolz

I totally get what Gaspar is saying.

But I like it how it is.

Fosing is correct, there was build up in G98 and Cloverfield already, i'm ok with this one just going BAM! Kaiju attacking bridge in your face!

Keeping it simple this time worked, no need for a long mysterious swim with humans catching a glimpse of a tail or ear.

The reason the quick reveal worked here is because the narration was present, and it was actually pretty shocking when they quickly cut to the bridge destruction.

Last edited:
i had this after thought after watching this movie.

would the world continue the way it was after the first kaiju attack??

hell, i wouldn't be going back to work for all i care.lolz

Lol...I know right. I'd be calling my office to tell them "I'm not feeling well so I might not be coming back to work, ever."

i wish one of the jaeger's had some crotch cannon/missile launcher/sword on there arsenal.

there are no fight rules. may as well give'em all. weaponize to a maximum.

Lol...I know right. I'd be calling my office to tell them "I'm not feeling well so I might not be coming back to work, ever."

was a bit surprised society did not deviate much. lolz

I totally get what Gaspar is saying.

But I like it how it is.

Fosing is correct, there was build up in G98 and Cloverfield already, i'm ok with this one just going BAM! Kaiju attacking bridge in your face!

Keeping it simple this time worked, no need for a long mysterious swim with humans catching a glimpse of a tail or ear.

The reason the quick reveal worked here is because the narration was present, and it was actually pretty shocking when they quickly cut to the bridge destruction.

...and it totally set the tone for the movie. This movie wasn't about subtlety. :lecture

still part of the after thought after watching this movie.

possibility of quasi-sequel spinoff, jaeger vs jaeger twisted metal world war event. post kaiju war. would be nice right?

i like this movie. i'd imagine a 6 year old kid watch this in awe tantamount to me watching robocop when it first came out.haha

I'll probably be flamed to hell for even daring to compare the two, but when Hunnam was in his Jaeger and the little aliens were standing over to the side watching as the core was powering up to explode, did it give anyone else the Independence Day vibe of when Will Smith went into the control vessel?

Like oh ****, somethings going on, but its too late to stop them. :lol

Independence-Day-still.jpg

still part of the after thought after watching this movie.

possibility of quasi-sequel spinoff, jaeger vs jaeger twisted metal world war event. post kaiju war. would be nice right?

i like this movie. i'd imagine a 6 year old kid watch this in awe tantamount to me watching robocop when it first came out.haha

Well, Robocop had a lot of satire for the adults to enjoy, this doesn't have any of that.

But yeah, i'm sure this movie was a good imagination motivator for kids today.

One part I thought was silly was when the father was yelling at the Leatherback from the top of his disabled Mech....errr...Jaeger.

I mean, it was alright, kind of silly how he wasn't afraid of it though.

I'll probably be flamed to hell for even daring to compare the two, but when Hunnam was in his Jaeger and the little aliens were standing over to the side watching as the core was powering up to explode, did it give anyone else the Independence Day vibe of when Will Smith went into the control vessel?

Like oh ****, somethings going on, but its too late to stop them. :lol

Independence-Day-still.jpg

My mind did go to ID4, honestly, but it didn't bother me, as I cared more for the characters in PR. But there's no denying the similarities.

One part I thought was silly was when the father was yelling at the Leatherback from the top of his disabled Mech....errr...Jaeger.

I mean, it was alright, kind of silly how he wasn't afraid of it though.

I think at that point he was resigned to death, so he just said " **** it, I'm gonna shot a flare at this *****"

Why are flare guns so effective? :lol

Back