Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it today with the kids, had a blast. Just the right amount of giant robots killing stuff and minor drama. Effects were well done, and i actually didn't mind the 3d, it usually gives me a headache, but none this time. Good summer popcorn flick

Just saw it today with the kids, had a blast. Just the right amount of giant robots killing stuff and minor drama. Effects were well done, and i actually didn't mind the 3d, it usually gives me a headache, but none this time. Good summer popcorn flick

I caught it originally in 2D, but may go back for 3D.

Interesting read for sure...
And I agree on most points...

BTW, of all the reviews out there, GDT likes this one in particular:

GDT said:
I never do this- you guys know it. Beautiful reviews have been coming from Rolling Stone, Los Angeles Times, etc but there is something in this piece that moves me deeply. It may have been posted elsewhere in the forums and, if so, I apologize.

This speaks to the film and who I am.

https://m.guardiannews.com/film/filmblog/2013/jul/12/pacific-rim-guillermo-del-toro-blockbuster

All the Best

Guillermo

It's a long read but totally worth it...
I'm sure as time passes, the people that liked the movie will do essays on deconstructing it and analyzing it deeply, and realize that it's not just MINDLESS fun... sure it has cliche moments and some cheese too, but overall, it has a profound topic that can be, and should be studied IMO.
:rock!

Interesting read for sure...
And I agree on most points...

BTW, of all the reviews out there, GDT likes this one in particular:

It's a long read but totally worth it...
I'm sure as time passes, the people that liked the movie will do essays on deconstructing it and analyzing it deeply, and realize that it's not just MINDLESS fun... sure it has cliche moments and some cheese too, but overall, it has a profound topic that can be, and should be studied IMO.
:rock!

What forum is this from Kuzeh?

Looks like Metal Gear Solid art director Yoji Shinkawa's took a stab at this movie. Here's the exclusive artwork he did. Looks pretty sweet.

580268_10151831207059180_929365228_n.jpg

Saw this with my gf, and we both enjoyed it.

The same, my gf said they looked like giant pokemons :lol

It's a pretty good movie, I can see inspirations from an infinity of other franchises but it's very well put together.

My only minor complaint is that I didn't get a sense of threat out of the kaijus, like, how would people would've reacted at the 1st glance of the 1st Kaiju, I need to see that kind of fear.

Last edited:
No, it was clearly not there, I'm talking about that feeling of uncertainty and confusion that anticipates the 1st encounter with a monster the size of a building that people has never seen before, and then the fear.

The 1st kaiju was introduced in the middle of the attack, not a single human face was shown in that sequence, It was a big monster destroying a bridge, it didn't really set a threatening tone for me.

Cloverfield for example, it did really set the threatening tone when the monster 1st attacked the city in a very convincing way, it immersed you in the confusion and yadda yadda.

Okay.....but they clearly showed people hiding and being afraid of the Kaiju.

First encounter, last encounter...Kaiju are still scary to people. Still. This wasn't that kind of movie to be scared and have deep emotions. It was about having fun. So I applaud Del Toro for not making it dark. Very refreshing.

It's not about making it dark, people use the word "dark" too loosely nowadays.

It was fun, all I'm asking for is that teeny tiny bit of that weird fear notion towards a huge strange creature that the Kaiju genre should have, like I said, it was a minor complain given that the movie is very well executed.

And I kinda disagree about the deep emotions, there were bits in the movie that really moved me, although the characters were kind of unidimensional, but that works in this movie.

I guess the whole sequence with little Mako wasn't "pure fear" :dunno...
That scene has more emotion than the full Cloverfield movie together... that POS was awful and I couldn't wait for all of them to die... :lol

That scene has more emotion than the full Cloverfield movie together... that POS was awful and I couldn't wait for all of them to die... :lol

:lecture :goodpost:

I'm not about to take shots at one movie or another to excuse this movie with sentences like "this had more of that than that other whole movie together", I had enough of that in the MoS thread :lol plus it's pointless.

Besides I liked this better than Cloverfield, except for that sense of confusion/uneasiness Cloverfield had, it was perfect.

That scene didn't have a sense of fear, it was more sympathy for a little girl that was looking for her parents, it was a big "awww" moment, definitely not fear.

Last edited:
And another thing:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well, OK,
Let's leave Cloverfield out of this...

I honestly didn't think, "awww, what a cute little girl"
All the time I was thinking "Holy **** that poor girl is getting chased by a ****ing monster the size of a building!! Run girl, run!!"
She was crying and scared ****less!! If that's not fear, then I do not know what it is... :dunno

And another thing:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Totally agree with you on that...
actually GDT said that was the whole point...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back