Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife is out with the ladies and the kids are asleep and I'm freakin bored :lol
129d61e7.jpg

You certainly love HK... can't blame you.

Big thumbs up for the Sig.

Is that a Ruger 22-45? Damn, that looks like a helluva lot of fun to plink with. I need to get one.

No doubt.
When someone's going for your firearm, you're more than likely not thinking of rendering it useless. First reaction is defensive/evasive or pulling the trigger.

Give ammoengine.com a try. :wink1:

That's fine if you have your weapon out already. What if someone tries to grab your gun while it's still in your holster. You place one hand on your weapon and turn away while fighting him off with your free hand. If you do mange to pull your weapon and shoot him, you can be charged with excessive force, because he wasn't armed. I just figured if I release the magazine, I don't have to worry if he manages to aquire the weapon, and now have two hands free. The law treats armed security different then the police. Even with a baton, a Security Officer is only allowed one strike.

You certainly love HK... can't blame you.

Big thumbs up for the Sig.

Is that a Ruger 22-45? Damn, that looks like a helluva lot of fun to plink with. I need to get one.

Yeah love them HK. Well once I pay off the GP100 I'll own 2 Rugers as well. Wait, I also own a 10/22 :lol

Thanks! Just picked her up this Friday

It's a Mark III competition side slab barrel and it's a limited run because it's a 5.5" barrel. Yes, it's a sweet plinker

sure. here's my Glock 20 :D

i just bought 800 rounds of full power 10mm ammo! 180gr, jacketed gold dot hollow points.

Advertised Ballistics Information from Ammo Manufacturer:

Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps
Muzzle Energy: 676 ft. lbs.

IMG_9911.jpg

That's fine if you have your weapon out already. What if someone tries to grab your gun while it's still in your holster. You place one hand on your weapon and turn away while fighting him off with your free hand. If you do mange to pull your weapon and shoot him, you can be charged with excessive force, because he wasn't armed. I just figured if I release the magazine, I don't have to worry if he manages to aquire the weapon, and now have two hands free. The law treats armed security different then the police. Even with a baton, a Security Officer is only allowed one strike.
Man I don't even know what to say. If I'm fighting with someone and they're going for my gun, if I can draw it and fire I'm going to. I have never heard of ejecting the mag as a defensive tool. Not to mention I carry with One in the pipe and even with the mag dropped most pistols can fire that single round. There's a saying, better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Man I don't even know what to say. If I'm fighting with someone and they're going for my gun, if I can draw it and fire I'm going to. I have never heard of ejecting the mag as a defensive tool. Not to mention I carry with One in the pipe and even with the mag dropped most pistols can fire that single round. There's a saying, better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Tell that to George Zimmerman, he's being judge by millions. And the S&W M&P can't be fired with one in the pipe, that's the point of the mag disconnect. Like I said, just food for thought. Just imagining the worse scenario.

Tell that to George Zimmerman, he's being judge by millions. And the S&W M&P can't be fired with one in the pipe, that's the point of the mag disconnect. Like I said, just food for thought. Just imagining the worse scenario.
Oh I've been following the Zimmerman case with much interest. The media has already proven him guilty. I'm hoping with all the new evidence that's been coming out that he will be found innocent of all charges.

Anybody know where I can pick up a birds head grip for a remington 870? I remember seeing one one here, any leads much appreciated

You can find them on ebay pretty readily.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedfeed-...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5893f58287

Or amazon

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050GF2E8/ref=asc_df_B0050GF2E82021660?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1431-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B0050GF2E8[/ame]

I really like them. But be warned. 3 inch "00" shells are not to be used lightly with this grip.

You are correct. It will not fire with the mag released.

Oh I've been following the Zimmerman case with much interest. The media has already proven him guilty. I'm hoping with all the new evidence that's been coming out that he will be found innocent of all charges.

Agreed. Whenever "the reverends" are involved as well as the media I'm usually for the other side. :lol

The "reverends" are two of the most racist biggots on this planet. :lecture

I highly recommend a handgun to serve both your requirements. The simple reason is that it's much easier to defend small quarters such as a home when holding a handgun. With practice you can shoot it with one hand and still get decent accuracy at short ranges. A rifle/shotgun is certainly fun on a range, however, for home defense, they are a little more work to manipulate compared to a handgun. A .223 chambered AR15 definitely has the capability to penetrate walls which is something to consider when living with neighbors so close to you.

My recommendation is a 9mm or .40 caliber, but since this is your first gun, lean more towards a 9.
No, they will not give you the stopping power of a .45, but they have an advantage in that they can hold more rounds in the magazine compared to a .45 without getting into fancy hi-cap magazines.

It's also cheaper to buy 9 and .40 ammo compared to the .45 for those times when you want to take the handgun plinking.

As far as which manufacturer to purchase, let your hand make the decision. Ergonomics is very important. The handgun should have a very natural feel when you aim, so try different types.

Happy hunting.

Thanks for the help Centurion.

I purchased a voucher for a trip to an indoor gun range today. I bought the 9mm package. It comes with a 9mm rental (choice of several), lane rental, paper targets sheets and 100 rounds of ammunition all for $35. Of the various 9mm guns they offer, I'm going to first pick up the Glock 17 or 19, S&W M&P 9, or Springfield XDM 9 3.8 to see which one feels the most natural.

They've also got some other brands such as Beretta, Diamond Back, Kahr, Ruger & Walther but none of those really jumped out at me when I was doing some research.

You also don't have to worry about him acquiring the weapon if you empty it. If someone is going to kill me with my own weapon, he's going to have to beat me to death with it. Don't leave spare rounds. If you don't think 15-rounds is justified, one round isn't either -- leave it holstered. Otherwise, pull the trigger until he stops twitching or you hear clicking.

You can be charged with "excessive force" anyway. Comes with the territory. There's always a cop or DA or zealot ready to second-guess a shooter. Don't worry your pretty little head about that until one of you is dead. If you're not prepared to be prosecuted for defending yourself or your family, you shouldn't carry. 1-round or 15, armed or unarmed attacker ... when you kill a man, prosecution is always a risk.

JB

Last edited:
Hey fellow freaks! Newb here. I usually don't venture into the this section of the board, but found the thread while doing a search. I didn't have the time to go back through all 200 pages, but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as where I should be focusing my weapon research.

I'm looking for a gun that serves two purposes for me. Number one is home defense. I have wanted something for home protection for over a year now and we've had a couple of weird instances in my neighborhood recently that has caused me to go into research mode again. My secondary reason for wanting a gun is basically for plinking. I've got some really good memories from just sitting around with my brother/dad/cousin just doing target shooting.

Few points of interest that may affect recommendation: I live in a small, close-quarters, single-family home by myself. I have neighbors basically on all sides, however the closest is at least 20 yards away. I don't think over-penetration is a huge concern but I could be way wrong. I've never fired a gun before (the plinking mentioned above was always with bb guns), so I've definitely got to hit a range/possibly take a course before I ever decide on purchasing anything.

Because of the aforementioned plinking, I'm leaning towards buying a small rifle. I'm not opposed to owning a handgun or shotgun, but they are not as appealing to me as a rifle for a first-purchase even though I do believe they hold more advantages for home defense. This could easily change once I get some time behind a gun though.

Any suggestions? Budget isn't a huge concern.

I would get 2 good Ruger hand guns and these 2 are affordable.

Home defense- Ruger GP100 and chamber the first three with .38spl and the other three with .357 magnum.

Plinker-Ruger Mark III or 22/45, sweet .22 plinker

Just a few notes of advice for choosing a home defense weapon.

If it goes through the walls and harms a neighbor when you use it to defend yourself, you are the bad guy by law in most states. And if it goes through the neighbor's walls and doesn't hurt anyone there...in many cases, that neighbor may have a beef with it anyway and you may find yourself answering for it just the same.

Check your local laws and chose your hd weapon accordingly.

Also take in to account what the walls are made of. If you have two brick walls between you and your neighbors, you will be safer with a stronger gun. If there is nothing between you and the neighbor but two walls of sheetrock, insulation, and stucco...you are greatly limited.

Another thing you can do is carefully judge your round. If you are using a 9mm ball round...it is gonna do some penetration. If you feel that you absolutley have to use a 9mm...get a lower penetration round that mushrooms out when it impacts. You actually do yourself a favor that way by also increasing the amount of damage done to the intruder while you are decreasing the likelyhood of it getting into the bedroom of your neighbor's sleeping 2-year-old.

If you have very close neighbors...do them and yourself a favor by putting up some nice-looking barrier between you and them made of a good, thick, heavy material.

That is why I have chosen my Remington 870 with the bird's head pistol grip as my first-line hd weapon. I can get hd rounds for it that will put an intruder down without going through the neighbor's walls. And it is shortened up enough to maeuver in the house without being illegal in CA.

I keep a pistol as well...just in case. And I train with both. But the training that I do with the 870 is intended to keep me from having to use the pistol. And I am largely rural with only about 20% of my 360 degree field needing to be carefully accounted for as far as close neighbors go. The entry areas that intruders are most likely to use at my house are pretty clear.

Thanks for all the help/advice guys! :rock:rock

I'll let you know how my first trip to the range goes. It'll probably take a couple weeks for work to cool down, but I'm looking forward to the practice/experience.

Although I have little desire to own one of these, (not zero desire, but little), I can't help but think of the shocked expresion on the face of a dumbass who makes a wise crack about bringing a knife to a gun fight just before he is shot with this.

pkpsleevebarrelworksgoodshot.jpg

Last edited:
Back