Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

Those who don't like his portrayal of Bats or John Conner should at least appreciate his dedication to the craft. Show me another actor who will sacrifice their body the way he did for The Mechanic, and to a lesser extent The Fighter.

I like the Nolan films better. I don't need to bash the Burton films to say it.

Anton Furst was a genius, and I love the look of the Burton films. I'm glad HT is adapting them. I want a Keatonmobile. I even enjoy most of the design work for Returns, with a few exceptions *cough*misslepenguins*cough* and Michelle Phieffer was uber hot.

I think Burton only sorta 'got' Batman. I like some of Burton's films a great deal and I'm glad he moved onto other stuff.

Burton's films are much more surreal and definitely give that air of the fantastical, like a comic book. And they're great films.

But Nolan's films are much more true to the source material in terms of characterization and getting all of the characters personalities correct.

What you like more probably depends on whether you want to feel like you're in a comic book or whether you want to see an accurate portrayal of the hero's and villain's character's on screen.

Personally, I like Nolan's films better, because I'm interested in faithful adaptations of the characters over the fantasy driven, surreal atmosphere of Burton's films.

I loved the first Burton Batman film. It probably would have been better if he had stopped with one.

Batman Returns always felt (to me) more like a sketchbook of ideas than an actual film. I could deal with the more surreal and weird parts of the film if it weren't so goofy and campy as well. It borders on comedy. Most of all it lacks a clear plot thread. It's a bunch of detached ideas that never fully overlap.

I didn't like how cheap they made Batman's tech look. The Batmobile has a cardboard undercarriage you can punch through. The engineering blueprints are public domain. His armor is clearly shown to be rubber and worthless against the tiny needles on Catwoman's fingertips. Even his cowl can be easily town off.

The biggest sin of 'Returns' is it's hardly about Batman. He's just someone who's in the film.

well its a commonly and understandable critic heard from a lot of "Batman fans" :) since Batman Returns isn't a real Batman film...so its understandable from a Batman point of view.

The first movie got me into films when I was like 8 years old (I saw it about 1 or 2 years after it hit the cinemas) and it was I think the first serious movie I saw.
So it made me into a film buff, and I think that is the reason I am more of a movie buff in general than a Batman fan, thus it could explain why I absolutely adored Batman Returns!! :)

You could see Tim Burton letting all brakes lose and letting his fantasy set free on this movie and Batman just happens to be the subject.
Its clear he didnt care much about the Batman universe, but since I was not a real Batman fan, I dont care, it was a tour de force from Burton and I enjoyed it a lot as a film fan :)
You could notice that Burton was somehow held back in the first one and that he enjoyed the freedom he was given in the sequel, only too bad the producers didn't take the shot with Burton to direct the 3rd movie.
Who know what kind of dark horror Batman movie we would have seen :)

He would have been Harvey Dent:
dent8x10.jpg

But I would suspect the Batman fans would't like a third Tim Burton directed move if they see what Burton had done in Returns.
I myself, as a film fan in general, would have loved the idea of a 3rd Batman movie from Burton, but we will never know what it would have been...

and IF we HAVE to make lists, I would make a list from a movie fan perspective since I am not a die hard batman fan :)
1. Batman '89 together with TDK
2. very closely followed by Returns
3. Begins

But it can alter depending on moods to be honest...sometimes I would prefer the Burton approach than again the Nolan approach.
For the Nolan universe i prefer TDK, but for the Burton movies I cant make up my mind :) they both have flaws and at some points both films rock hard!

The Schumacher films aren't even worth mentioning, not even as a filmfan in general (although I can see Bat fans crediting Forever higher than Returns, but thats just lame imo, Returns is a way cooler movie :) )

In general I prefer the Burton movies slightly over the Nolan movies perhaps, but I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia and the fact that the Burton movies had atmosphere in overload proportions

Last edited:

Those who don't like his portrayal of Bats or John Conner should at least appreciate his dedication to the craft. Show me another actor who will sacrifice their body the way he did for The Mechanic, and to a lesser extent The Fighter.

The Machinist*... :) For old time's sake:
the-machinist-skinny.jpg

And then put on like 50 pounds within a couple months to play BW in Batman Begins.

What's funny is that initially he put on too much muscle for Batman Begins. He had to actually lose weight to fit into the suit! Talk about dedication!!

Too bad all that dedication was for nothing.....people remember TDK more for Heath than Bale.

Only thing he's know for is screaming at DP's :lol

Hell, I think TDK should've been called JOKER instead of TDK.

Imagine that, a BATMAN movie named....JOKER :lol

Bales an extremely dedicated actor, and his portayal of BW/batman is amazing.

What's funny is that initially he put on too much muscle for Batman Begins. He had to actually lose weight to fit into the suit! Talk about dedication!!

its funny how people always come back to this kind specific anecdotes...like its so special or so surprising or such a big deal :)
I bet in every other great movie every actor that has some kind of special role also has the same professional dedication that Bale had for his Batman role...

I am thinking of all those actors that had to play a intense police role that had a training of some kind with some special swat team or went on the streets with some cops doing their routine

I am thinking of the whole Matrix cast that trained for months in all kinds of martial arts

I am thinking of Heath Ledger spending months in a hotel room to prepare and find out what kind of Joker he was gonna portrait

Speaking about Heath Ledger, what about all his scenes that a straight guy doesnt take for granted in Brokeback Montain? :)

I am thinking of the scene Hally Berry had with Billy Bob Thornton in Monsters Ball (lol also with Ledger in it, damn it confirms that guy was going to be a leading man in Hollywood :()

etc etc

Thats also dedication, so I think its funny people keep repeating the overweight Bale from Begins, it gives the impression that those people think he is the only actor that has strong discipline and dedication :)

Thats also dedication, so I think its funny people keep repeating the overweight Bale from Begins, it gives the impression that those people think he is the only actor that has strong discipline and dedication :)

It's because it's a more tangible show of dedication. The other examples you mentioned, you can't see the end result and know just how much it took to get there. When you see Bale in the Machinist and then in Begins, and then see how he is when not working, you can clearly see the ammount of weight he's put on lost and know from your own life what it would take to do that.

Unless you get behind the scenes documentaries and interviews, you can't tell the prep work other actors go through for roles, you can assume, but it's not as obvious as a guy going from a walking skeleton to a bulky grizzly man.

People also like seeing signs of actors being committed to projects and not just phoning it and Bale's willingness to do what's right for the picture pleases a lot of people, and again, what he does is more obvious to the average viewer.

It's because it's a more tangible show of dedication. The other examples you mentioned, you can't see the end result and know just how much it took to get there. When you see Bale in the Machinist and then in Begins, and then see how he is when not working, you can clearly see the ammount of weight he's put on lost and know from your own life what it would take to do that.

Unless you get behind the scenes documentaries and interviews, you can't tell the prep work other actors go through for roles, you can assume, but it's not as obvious as a guy going from a walking skeleton to a bulky grizzly man.

People also like seeing signs of actors being committed to projects and not just phoning it and Bale's willingness to do what's right for the picture pleases a lot of people, and again, what he does is more obvious to the average viewer.

True, but I think the viewer can also see that there is a lot of professionalism involved in pulling of a scene like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7oyzc6hvg
does it not? :)

This is not a physical scene like were Bale has to do some workout, sure it takes a long time... and needs some dedication.
But the Ledger scene also takes dedication, but its very psychological and not physical.
And that doesnt make it less hard :)

I dunno if bale could pull that off tho :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back