Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

Clooney is a good actor. It's a shame they gave him a crappy movie, Batsuits, Director. story, ...everything. That's how I felt about Timothy Dalton as Bond. Wasted potential.

I think Jack Napier would be far more horrifying to Batman than the Joker.

If they had truely brought back the Joker (on the Burton/Schumaker series) I would have liked them to ret-con away Jack Napier killing Bruce's parents, or second best option ret-con the name to Joe Chill.

Thought Kilmer was good. Clooney was terrible.

I liked Chris O'Donnell's take on Robin.

I agree.

I thought Kilmer was both a good Batman and Bruce Wayne... he played the part well. Clooney just larked around and played some random happy billionaire and had no clue what Bruce was about.

Forever is not a perfect movie but it's by no means as bad as it's made out to be... in my view it unfairly just gets lumped in with Batman & Robin.

Clooney could have played the part with a more serious tone, but the Schumaker wasn't going for that.

As I said earlier with Jack, he could have gone as demented as Ledger based on what we've seen in his other films. But "Batman" wasn't that kind of film. Clooney has also played parts that hint what kind of Batman he could have been with a better filmmaker.

George has said in more than one interview he wishes he could have made a good batman film to apologize for the first.

I agree.

I thought Kilmer was both a good Batman and Bruce Wayne... he played the part well. Clooney just larked around and played some random happy billionaire and had no clue what Bruce was about.

Forever is not a perfect movie but it's by no means as bad as it's made out to be... in my view it unfairly just gets lumped in with Batman & Robin.

I used to feel the same way but the last time I tried to watch it...I had to press stop. I wondered why I ever thought it was somehow any different to Batman and Robin.

I used to feel the same way but the last time I tried to watch it...I had to press stop. I wondered why I ever thought it was somehow any different to Batman and Robin.

:exactly:....a less stinky turd is still a......turd :exactly:

Clooney could have played the part with a more serious tone, but the Schumaker wasn't going for that.

As I said earlier with Jack, he could have gone as demented as Ledger based on what we've seen in his other films. But "Batman" wasn't that kind of film. Clooney has also played parts that hint what kind of Batman he could have been with a better filmmaker.

George has said in more than one interview he wishes he could have made a good batman film to apologize for the first.
I repeat, it wasnt schumacher...........although he was director, he wasnt the actual scource of those crappy movies :)

Akiva Goldsman wrote B&R. He's known for writing a lot of crappy screenplays. Schumaker would have had a high degree of control over who wrote the final draft, so he gets his share of the blame. Schumaker ultimately had final say on art direction, lighting, costumes, etc...

I've watched the first three on blu-ray this week and i still very much enjoyed Forever... it still holds up for me.

Batman & Robin on the other hand... just gets worse and worse. I can still see the look on my cousins face when we came out of the live u.k premier feed from London ... horrified at what he'd seen.

Akiva Goldsman wrote B&R. He's known for writing a lot of crappy screenplays. Schumaker would have had a high degree of control over who wrote the final draft, so he gets his share of the blame. Schumaker ultimately had final say on art direction, lighting, costumes, etc...

But what's so crazy is that Goldsman turned around and made himself into a pretty solid screenwriter penning the Oscar winning A Beautiful Mind and the underrated Cinderalla Man also for Ron Howard with Russell Crowe starring and writing some of the very best episodes of Fringe. His Fringe episodes, especially the season two, two part finale "Over There," have been incredible so it's hard to believe he was the guy who turned out that turd B&R.

I've watched the first three on blu-ray this week and i still very much enjoyed Forever... it still holds up for me.

Batman & Robin on the other hand... just gets worse and worse. I can still see the look on my cousins face when we came out of the live u.k premier feed from London ... horrified at what he'd seen.

That is one hysterical depiction !! I could just see it...lol :rotfl

I recently tried to watch batman forever aswell, thinking it probably wont be as bad as i remember. But i cant get through it. After the first few scenes i just get bored and think "this is garbage". The over acting of almost everyone in the cast is actually irritating to me. And yet when it first came out at the cinema i saw it with my cousin and we left saying it was the greatest film ever made. We were young. haha.

I repeat, it wasnt schumacher...........although he was director, he wasnt the actual scource of those crappy movies :)

While i can agree it may not have been his initial decision, if you watch the making of B&R he clearly knew what he was getting himself into when he took it on. They even had toy company's there working with the art dept to make the designs more "toy like". Chris O'Donnell said he felt like he was just filming lots of toy commercials as opposed to a coherent movie.

It's important to remember as well that Batman Forever was - by and large - critically successful. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well - there are a lot of elements to it that mark it very firmly in its time, and that doesn't help things either. Ultimately the director should be the one to bear the success or failure of their films, but I feel a bit bad for him since I can see the sense behind all of his decisions (except the nipples on the suit. That I need a couple of drinks to understand). There are visual cues in Forever that are picked up from Returns, the extremely dark tone of Returns caused some critical and studio concern, and the "return" to the colour and movement school of thinking that we'd seen on 60's Batman got great feedback from the studio and some critics. Schumaker just made the mistake of continuing further down that road with "Batman and Robin" when really the audience had explored that side of Batman about as much as they wanted to in Forever. I hate the neon on Batman Forever, but that's about the only visual criticism I have of that film. No one will ever convince me that those Batsuits were not a fantastic piece of superhero costuming. The exaggerated musculature was a nod both to the way the characters are drawn in the comics, as well as elements from the 89 costume. So yeah, "Batman and Robin" was a turkey, but just because Forever started the patterns that would lead to failure, we should remember that doesn't make the film a failure in itself.

While i can agree it may not have been his initial decision, if you watch the making of B&R he clearly knew what he was getting himself into when he took it on. They even had toy company's there working with the art dept to make the designs more "toy like". Chris O'Donnell said he felt like he was just filming lots of toy commercials as opposed to a coherent movie.

I got my info from the same extras you and everybody has from the anthology ;)
What i remember of him is that the producers wanted it that way and not him...

In fact Returns started it all because Returns was dark, gothic, gloomy and a typical Burton film :)
It shocked WB so much that Forever was the beginning of the end.

I got my info from the same extras you and everybody has from the anthology ;)
What i remember of him is that the producers wanted it that way and not him...

In fact Returns started it all because Returns was dark, gothic, gloomy and a typical Burton film :)
It shocked WB so much that Forever was the beginning of the end.

Haha, yeah thats what i watched. Someone posted the B&R ones on youtube recently, i have the others on the dvd's n blu ray's.
But yeah, the way i saw it, the producers had decided they wanted the film that way and schumacker went along with it. It sounded to me like he was happy to do whatever the studio asked. Maybe i misunderstood but thats how i saw it. He knew how it was gonna be and was happy to go along with it. Whereas Burton wouldnt have done something that "light" and so both he and the studio mutually agreed he was gonna step away. Haha.
Again, just my two cents. :dunno :lol

I just watched the movie again It makes me want a figure now especially The Joker :hi5:

It's important to remember as well that Batman Forever was - by and large - critically successful. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well - there are a lot of elements to it that mark it very firmly in its time, and that doesn't help things either.

I don't mean to offend, but when did a debate over "was Batman Forever good?" ever begin in the first place?

I saw that (as Sgt Barnes would say) "lump of sheeit" in the theater when I was 15 with my brother and we both walked out knowing that it was all over for the franchise. Apparently Keaton knew it too...hence, Val Kilmer.

I just watched the movie again It makes me want a figure now especially The Joker :hi5:

Yeah man, I'm getting fired-up about these. The new franchise is my #1, but the Burton's have a special place in my childhood. I will have to own Bats and Joker, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back