Hot Toys Classic Predator in the works?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt surprise me to see 4 made from the movie considering the predator figures sell really well. However, what does irk me is the lack of removeable masks.
i'm starting to not care for removable masks. it clearly compromises the sculpt and separate sculpted heads would look much better.

i'm starting to not care for removable masks. it clearly compromises the sculpt and separate sculpted heads would look much better.

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Maybe with human characters, but with Preds you also have the dreadlocks and quills to worry about on each head. Seems like too much money.

I think the only instance where the mask really affected the headsculpt was with Berserker, and that could be because the character itself could never really close his mouth. Joseph Tsang had to make a judgement call on that one. As for the inaccurate slope of the head and weird open mandibles, that was a true mistake that was purely sculpt-based... like the mouth on Big Chap and the Dog Alien. HT isn't perfect, that's for sure. Then again, what else is new? At least the figures still look great.
:dunno

Sorry I don't know much about the Predators. Is this the one that came out in the 1987 Predator movie? The 1987 Predator movie was the best one IMO so I wouldn't mind getting that Predator!

Guys, is everyone aware that the mask on the Falconer can be removed to reveal an unpainted Beserker face? How does that compromise the sculpt?

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Maybe with human characters, but with Preds you also have the dreadlocks and quills to worry about on each head. Seems like too much money.

I think the only instance where the mask really affected the headsculpt was with Berserker, and that could be because the character itself could never really close his mouth. Joseph Tsang had to make a judgement call on that one. As for the inaccurate slope of the head and weird open mandibles, that was a true mistake that was purely sculpt-based... like the mouth on Big Chap and the Dog Alien. HT isn't perfect, that's for sure. Then again, what else is new? At least the figures still look great.
:dunno
i don't mind paying more for a better figure. really, every pred with a removable mask was off. if i gotta pay $300 instead of $200 for an accurate head with quills, so be it. the sculpt on the berserker was so bad it kept me from having any interest in ever owning it. that shouldn't be an issue coming from a company that can do much better.

True, true. I see what you're saying, and a lot of the people (myself included) who bought the Berserker ended up getting it simply because it looked nice overall. Though, with a high-end company like HT that has improved as much as they have over the years, "nice overall" isn't really what they ought to be aiming for.

Sorry I don't know much about the Predators. Is this the one that came out in the 1987 Predator movie? The 1987 Predator movie was the best one IMO so I wouldn't mind getting that Predator!
The character being discussed in this thread is the Predator from the Predators movie that looked very similar to the 1987 Predator. If you want an official, 1987 Predator from Hot Toys, then that ship has sailed sadly, and those figures go for $$$ on eBay.

Regarding a new head sculpt for Classic, Hot Toys really has to come up with something special. The original P1 figure is a great looking figure but the head sculpt was off and the inaccurate mask compromised the inaccurate closed mandible face.

I don't know how they could make it any better?

Regarding a new head sculpt for Classic, Hot Toys really has to come up with something special. The original P1 figure is a great looking figure but the head sculpt was off and the inaccurate mask compromised the inaccurate closed mandible face.

While I like their figures, and I truly do, a part of me is a little bummed that the main representations of some of their best-selling lines (the Big Chap and the 1987 P1) turned out the way they did. They're great figures for sure, but it's a pity that a company with such success handled the most-cherished and classic designs so poorly. I'd say HT should definitely bring on a Classic with a new body, but make it more of a DX. Maybe add a few more accessories and improve the sculpt to give fans what they should've been given the first time.
I doubt it'll happen, but that's just the purist in me speaking. Either way, we're getting an enormous and accurate P1 from NECA in April, sooooo... :monkey3

Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if HT tried to re-mark its territory :lol? True, the scales are different, but if companies like this had a sculpting competition, the real winners would be us. Sigh, if only.

hire tankman and send Tsang over to Medicom where he can make all the anime-style preds and aliens he wants. aside from that, the P1 was about 2 inches too short and the shoulder cannon/armor and left gauntlet were wrong. they have a chance to fix all of that with the Classic, but they won't and i'll probably end up passing on it.

then again, this is technically a different predator, so i don't think they have any intention of the Classic being an improvement on or replacement for the P1. just kinda similar. i'd say it's close enough for the newbies who missed out on the P1 though.

I'd say HT should definitely bring on a Classic with a new body, but make it more of a DX. Maybe add a few more accessories and improve the sculpt to give fans what they should've been given the first time.
I doubt it'll happen, but that's just the purist in me speaking. Either way, we're getting an enormous and accurate P1 from NECA in April, sooooo... :monkey3

Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if HT tried to re-mark its territory :lol? True, the scales are different, but if companies like this had a sculpting competition, the real winners would be us. Sigh, if only.

Hot Toys should deffo make a DX P1. Make 2 heads; a masked head sculpt and unmasked head sculpt (with interchangeable mandibles).

The new Pred body might look great but the head can't be compromised on their second attempt.

hire tankman and send Tsang over to Medicom where he can make all the anime-style preds and aliens he wants. aside from that, the P1 was about 2 inches too short and the shoulder cannon/armor and left gauntlet were wrong. they have a chance to fix all of that with the Classic, but they won't and i'll probably end up passing on it.

then again, this is technically a different predator, so i don't think they have any intention of the Classic being an improvement on or replacement for the P1. just kinda similar. i'd say it's close enough for the newbies who missed out on the P1 though.

Given the creative freedom Hot Toys were given on the new Preds; Berserkers head sculpt being the big one. Fox obviously OK'd HT to make up their own. What's to stop Hot Toys doing whatever they want with Classic and sticking two fingers up at us:lol

Given their track record, I would also expect a new figure following HT's typical MO with Predators--some creative interpretation is likely. Not an explicit attempt to correct mistakes from the previous release.

Mr. Black looks nothing like he did in the movie. Black had FOUR SPOTS ON CHEST..>WTF HOT TOYS!

@karamazov80: That's the only thing that bugs me with HT -- and I'm not siding with any one company here, as I enjoy both: all of the attention they've gotten over the years seems to have gone to their heads. If they put out a perfect figure from the start, then great. If not, they just shrug it off and continue production because their past reputation dictates they're still the 1/6 kings. It's a pity, really. Their Barney Ross figure is incredible, but when Sly Stallone personally approved it and stated that HT is the best collectible figure company, I think they got a little too big for their britches, you know? Now they probably think they can get away with anything, and in a certain sense, they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back