Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
actually on facebook. arnie kim comments that he is going back to resculpt the indiana jones head again...

Again. Good. Take as many cracks as it takes.

I believe this last pass will be it though, since it is unlikely HT will show the sculpt for comments before they are ready to ship the figure out.

Fingers crossed... but I'm NOT preordering until I see this guy in someone's hand.

One other nit is Harrison was NEVER this buff in Raiders. He didn't hit the weights until before ToD. They would have been fine with a Narrow Shoulder.

HT's going for realism with the exposed neck and chest area so they opted for a muscular body and as buff as the Wolverine body is, it's the slimmest mass of the muscle bodies so that's what they used. I don't think he'd look over buff if the head were bigger, having the Wolverine figure and seeing pictures of other figures on it, if the head's in the right scale to the body the neck doesn't look oversized and the body not over buff, but this is a bit pinheaded for the body it's on and makes the neck too thick looking.

actually on facebook. arnie kim comments that he is going back to resculpt the indiana jones head again..this is not the final result...if it would stay like this as it is right now.. i would save my money because it can be better.. arnie kim knows that and so does hot toys..

I'm thinking this will be a Leonidas or a Wolverine where they accept a passable likeness and try to pawn it off on the fanboys who'll buy anything. And to those fanboys, the likeness is already there, so that's even more incentive for HT to roll with it.

Doesn't look like the same sculpt to me. Granted the paints are night and day better on the prototype, but there're aspects of it that are clearly different than Kim's earlier Indy. :dunno

Similar enough that if the DX is a fresh sculpt, I just don't see him getting it, it's like he has a perception of Indy's face and all of his sculpts are going to look that way, and unfortunately, it's not good.

I'm thinking this will be a Leonidas or a Wolverine where they accept a passable likeness and try to pawn it off on the fanboys who'll buy anything. And to those fanboys, the likeness is already there, so that's even more incentive for HT to roll with it.
Based on some of the comments I've seen on this figure, I think you are 100% correct here. I know this is all subjective, but damn. How folks don't see this figure as wonky is beyond me.

It is as if HT could have actually used the Jackman Wolvie sculpt here, and some would be saying "perfect Ford likeness! Can't wait!"

(I do think the likeness is actually half-way decent here, btw, but no way is it spot-on perfect)

Similar enough that if the DX is a fresh sculpt, I just don't see him getting it, it's like he has a perception of Indy's face and all of his sculpts are going to look that way, and unfortunately, it's not good.

:lecture:lecture:lecture I don't think they've had Ford shoved down their throat like Americans have. This would be why Lee is perfect and Ford is average.

Based on some of the comments I've seen on this figure, I think you are 100% correct here. I know this is all subjective, but damn. How folks don't see this figure as wonky is beyond me.

It is as if HT could have actually used the Jackman Wolvie sculpt here, and some would be saying "perfect Ford likeness! Can't wait!"

You guys are so right. Hot Toys have sold figures with the heads blurred in the promo images and we've run and pre-ordered! :rotfl:slap:rotfl

One of the problems is that HT themselves have raised our expectations pretty high. They are capable of doing such amazing work, that when something sub-par comes out it is hard to accept it.

And I guess it works the other way, too. Since their body of work is so impressive, and since they have had so many home runs, I think some folks encounter major cognitive dissonance when they see something flawed and try to rationalize it away since they are so in love with the "Hot Toys product" broadly defined.

Or maybe I'm just being a judgmental prick. :D

:lecture:lecture:lecture I don't think they've had Ford shoved down their throat like Americans have. This would be why Lee is perfect and Ford is average.

They've captured other western likenesses though, some that have been on the scene far less than Harrison Ford. It's natural every sculptor have a style and sometimes they just won't get everyone, but that's all the reason to try others if one person can't get it. I wonder if HT does like Sideshow with multiple sculptors turning in a portrait and going with what the company and license holder like most.

They've captured other western likenesses though, some that have been on the scene far less than Harrison Ford. It's natural every sculptor have a style and sometimes they just won't get everyone, but that's all the reason to try others if one person can't get it. I wonder if HT does like Sideshow with multiple sculptors turning in a portrait and going with what the company and license holder like most.

I'm betting they just assigned the project to Kim since he had a history with the character. Which is okay if you have a sculptor that just hits homeruns on a certain character every time they sculpt it. In this case though, the ball ran foul. As Razz said, half a decade ago, this would've been the absolute best Indy. But after Trevor's sculpts, this isn't really even "good enough."

I'll give you Wolverine not being 100% but Leonidas is pretty damn good.

I'm betting they just assigned the project to Kim since he had a history with the character. Which is okay if you have a sculptor that just hits homeruns on a certain character every time they sculpt it. In this case though, the ball ran foul. As Razz said, half a decade ago, this would've been the absolute best Indy. But after Trevor's sculpts, this isn't really even "good enough."

Trevor!!! :lecture

One of the problems is that HT themselves have raised our expectations pretty high. They are capable of doing such amazing work, that when something sub-par comes out it is hard to accept it.

And I guess it works the other way, too. Since their body of work is so impressive, and since they have had so many home runs, I think some folks encounter major cognitive dissonance when they see something flawed and try to rationalize it away since they are so in love with the "Hot Toys product" broadly defined.

Or maybe I'm just being a judgmental prick. :D

Honestly, without the paint job and the HT logo, if you just posted that shot of the SSC-MEDI-HT-TMCCOY Indy figures, I don't think many would guess HT made this figure. It's not a terrible figure, but it's not up to the par of most HT figures today. Much like Sideshow's Indy is compared to other Sideshow figures that were coming out at the time, HT's is a subpar of their current quality.

Honestly, without the paint job and the HT logo, if you just posted that shot of the SSC-MEDI-HT-TMCCOY Indy figures, I don't think many would guess HT made this figure. It's not a terrible figure, but it's not up to the par of most HT figures today. Much like Sideshow's Indy is compared to other Sideshow figures that were coming out at the time, HT's is a subpar of their current quality.

Take it a step further. If this figure had a Sideshow label slapped on it, instead of Hot Toys, this thread would be chalk full of haters and their Madden impressions, bashing every aspect of it.

Looks like Dominic Purcell to me :
166669_488154487343_58690437343_6403159_3272627_n.jpg

Since this is a collaboration with Sideshow, why the hell didn't they just let the man with a proven track record sculpt it, and let Arnie do Reeve. I feel Indy was rushed out.

If you are charging $250 for a single figure, I expect total realism.
I hope this doesn't set another high price standard in 1/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back